resting position to gain the most time?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: resting position to gain the most time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Los Angeles - USA Originally from Perth - Australia

resting position to gain the most time?

I've read up and supposedly crown up is the best position to rest a rolex to Lose time?

I have a modern explorer that I'm trying to slow down a little when not worn...... so far crown up and crown down on its side seems to be slowing down equally but I'm wondering if anyone else wants to offer personal perspective / ideas.

FWIW its currently about half a second fast per day worn about 12 hours per day, sometimes more, some times less.
    obviously I'm happy with those numbers so this is really an academic question rather than an actual problem.
    Rolex Explorer Mk II . Grand Seiko Spring Diver 029 . Omega MoonWatch . Grand Seiko Highbeat .

Re: resting position to gain the most time?

For my 214270 it's crown down to lose the most time. But with the 216570 it's +1 spd regardless of position so I'm thinking it's really watch dependent.
    matthew P and heineken4u like this.

CFR

Best thing to do is check all positions on a timing machine and then you'll know for sure. Or, absent easy access to a timing machine, use the brute force method: Just before you go to bed each night, note (a) the position of the watch and (b) the exact time (to the second) relative to a reference source (such as time.gov). Then check the time again (relative to the same reference source) when you wake up, to see how many seconds it gained or lost in that position while you were asleep. After a week (or 1.5 weeks, if you want to double-check each position), you'll have a pretty good idea. Make sure you wind it fully each and every morning (or whenever you'd normally wind it each day), to keep that variable pretty constant.
    matthew P likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In general dial up and dial down are the most efficient positions for a mechanical watch and therefore are the most likely to gain time. Crown up and crown down tend to be less efficient so they tend to lose the most time in those positions. This is far from absolute though.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Dial up for me gains time on all of my watches - but to varying degrees (my Sinn gains a couple of seconds overnight, Tudors less than a sec - but I know it gains dial up because crown down or up results in slowing down over a few days).

Slow down : Crown down (tho crown up also seems to work but does not rhyme ;)
    Speed up : Face up

seems to work for me, using these techniques I can keep my exp pretty accurate.

Current Lineup: TBD
    Rolex Submariner 116613LN Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Omega Speedmaster '57 Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph
    Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T World Timer Breitling Avenger II Chronograph
    Marathon US Government GSAR Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium
    Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E TBD

This is old, so not sure if it still remains valid for modern watches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kasset1975 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post

This is old, so not sure if it still remains valid for modern watches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure for others but I've got a 214270MK2 and it's easily the fastest Rolex I have when compared to the 3135 and 3235 movement. I always lay my Explorer crown up and it doesn't seem to slow down at all like the instructions say. So far, I can truly say that the new 3235 is vastly superior. Even after 48 hours without even wearing it's still +/-1 in my case.
    matthew P likes this.
    Current Collection
    Rolex
    : Explorer 214270 MK 2; Submariner Date 116613LB(luesy); Sea Dweller 126600;
    Seiko: SARB017 Alpinist; SKX013 Modded; Seiko 5 SNKL55K1;
    Casio: F-91W; G-Shock GA-110LPA-1AER;
    Swatch: "Just Paul" GE270

Quote Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
    I've read up and supposedly crown up is the best position to rest a rolex to Lose time?

I have a modern explorer that I'm trying to slow down a little when not worn...... so far crown up and crown down on its side seems to be slowing down equally but I'm wondering if anyone else wants to offer personal perspective / ideas.

FWIW its currently about half a second fast per day worn about 12 hours per day, sometimes more, some times less.
    obviously I'm happy with those numbers so this is really an academic question rather than an actual problem.
    Positional error does not come into play with a modern Rolex movement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information