WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Review: Reference Guide to 5-digit ROLEX models. Which one to buy?

5K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  JP. 
#1 ·

I wrote this new article to my blog. Actually I wrote it back in 2012 but never had time to finish it.

These are just my opinions and views of the different 5-digits, not gospel. I've owned almost all of them and I wanted to share my views and photography. And by no means it's not inteded to be another 5-digit vs. 6-digit debate. The article just concentrates on my favorite models, nothing more.

I hope you enjoy the article. Let me know if you think something should be added. :cheers:

Here's a link to the article. Enjoy!
Which 5-digit Rolex to buy?

See less See more
#2 ·
I will buy any, but my main method of arbitrage is to buy in UK and sell overseas, where the UK's cheap and dying pound is worth very little. A £3,000 DJ in fine condition is worth 10-15% more on the continent and vintage UK prices have not risen in line with the currency fall. This is decoupled from watches, of course, it applies to all tangible and reasonably liquid investments.

#5 ·
They're all great, I've tried them all on with the sub and GMT standing it most on my wrist at the dealer.

But the 16570 expii won my wrist at 6'1", 200lbs. Like you I will probably get another, but severely happy with my decision.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
This is a nice guide thanks for posting.

I currently own a 14060m and I love it because of its slightly smaller dimensions as compared to the 16610. Particularly case thickness..

Do you know how the poster on TRF got the measurements? I assume with their own set of calipers testing the two side by side.

I ask because It's interesting they list the 16610 as only 12.5mm. I've seen the 5 digit submariner date listed usually at 13mm thick. And when trying both on it seemed on the wrist like it was also taller than only 2 mm.

Here's a references example from Bobs watches which lists the 16610 at 13mm:

https://www.bobswatches.com/more/rolex-watch-case-sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I am really enjoying my 16713, snagged this late model with the 3186 movement. Love the case size. Traded my six digit bluesy for it (with cash back to me) and have no regrets.

Attachments

#26 ·
Great article. The 16610 was the first nice watch I ever bought myself. I purchased new from AD a long time ago. It’s only watch that will for sure never leave my collection and will be handed down to the kids.

Reactions: JP.
#27 ·
Great article. The 16610 was the first nice watch I ever bought myself. I purchased new from AD a long time ago. It's only watch that will for sure never leave my collection and will be handed down to the kids.
I also think that if there is one perfect watch, it is the 16610. Goes with any choice of wardrobe. It wears big enough for almost any wrist but rarely looks _too_ big on anyone's wrist.

#31 ·
At one time I owned a 14060M in pristine condition I wish I’d kept. Perhaps the present time might be a decent window of opportunity to buy a 14060 or a 14060M. Even a 14270 or 114270 Explorer I. For whatever reasons those are the vintage models that most appeal to me.

#36 ·
At one time I owned a 14060M in pristine condition I wish I'd kept. Perhaps the present time might be a decent window of opportunity to buy a 14060 or a 14060M. Even a 14270 or 114270 Explorer I. For whatever reasons those are the vintage models that most appeal to me.
Soon it might be a good time to buy again. I wonder how the corona-panic will affect the prices. Hmm let's see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.