WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Review of Rolex Explorer II 16570 "Polar" (my new purchase)

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  JP. 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Great looking watch, mate. Condition wise, it looks fantastic. well done. :-!

Reactions: JP.
#7 · (Edited)
Congratulations on a great watch! I had a Polar EXPII and it served me well. Though, it was a watch where I'd either really love it or at times not as much. It photographs very well, and I felt always looked really sharp from say arms length/2 feet away, but at times I found the white dial a little dull close up. For me, ultimately, I need a bezel of some sort, as I don't like how I scratch smooth bezel (or the radial bezel), and a bezel hides it for me.

If one has the wrist to support the 6-digit version, I think 6-digit is the way to go for the black dial, but still like the 5-digit version of the polar dial.

Enjoy!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#9 ·
Lug holes with Luminova: hold.

Congratulations on a great watch! I had a Polar EXPII and it served me well. Though, it was a watch where I'd either really love it or at times not as much. It photographs very well, and I felt always looked really sharp from say arms length/2 feet away, but at times I found the white dial a little dull close up. For me, ultimately, I need a bezel of some sort, as I don't like how I scratch smooth bezel (or the radial bezel), and a bezel hides it for me.

If one has the wrist to support the 6-digit version, I think 6-digit is the way to go for the black dial, but still like the 5-digit version of the polar dial.

Enjoy!

View attachment 14397673
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Based on my experience, ALL white watches have the same element. They look GREAT, AWESOME when you initially get them but eventually the white dial starts to feel "too understated". But it's only in your own mind.

Everyone should have at least one white dial watch in their collection. I have two now. The other is my BTR, which is my chronograph of choice.
https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.com/2017/08/13/review-of-ebel-btr-chronograph/

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Much appreciated.

#14 ·
Congrats on the recent pickup. The 16570 Polar is an awesome watch.

#17 ·
Okay now for the elephant in the room, how much did you get it for? One of the main reasons why this isn't one of the more popular Rolex's, is because people say it just doesn't look like a Rolex. And I'd have to agree, although that might be the attraction for some.

#21 ·
Gorgeous piece and great write-up! I've been looking at these more and more these days. Congratulations on the new piece.

#24 ·
Thanks very much for this well-thought-out review of this beautiful watch. I have, just recently, decided that this is my true grail watch, and I’ve joined this forum in order to learn all I can about it. I have a small collection of other nice watches, but I am so smitten by the Explorer 2 that I am planning to sell off most of the others in order pay for a 16570. I am hoping to save enough money to be able to purchase it in about three years. Thanks again for your excellent review.

#25 ·
Thanks very much for this well-thought-out review of this beautiful watch. I have, just recently, decided that this is my true grail watch, and I've joined this forum in order to learn all I can about it. I have a small collection of other nice watches, but I am so smitten by the Explorer 2 that I am planning to sell off most of the others in order pay for a 16570. I am hoping to save enough money to be able to purchase it in about three years. Thanks again for your excellent review.
You're welcome. Much appreciated!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.