Rolex 214270 mk2 Explorer & Tudor BB58 or Damasko ds30
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rolex 214270 mk2 Explorer & Tudor BB58 or Damasko ds30

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kind of odd but I have had a Rolex Explorer (214270 mk2) since March of 2018 and I love this thing, I wear it almost everyday and maybe rotate a different watch in once a week and occasionally a beater. I always wanted a BB58 and I was finally able to get a used one for a good price (I am not a fan of over paying for a watch because it is scarce). I got the BB58 and was kind of scared because I have heard of people starting to make copies of them, luckily I got it today and took the micro lens to it and it looks legit as well as confirmed with others on the thread helping verify real watches. I cleaned it up because I don't like other peoples germs, sized it, and put it on and stared at it for a good two minute, I don't think I am a fan. I have seen tons of photos online and it looks amazing but when comparing it with my Explorer it just doesn't have that zing for me. Don't get me wrong, it is a super nice watch but it's just not my cup of tea. I am thinking of selling it because I feel if I own more than 3 watches I will never really wear it.

I want to downsize my collection because I also have a Damasko ds30 coming in as well and love the idea of having a date and the tool watch in a 38mm case with only about 10mm thickness, I still do not have it on hand but it is 3.5x cheaper, has some amazing tech as well as it is has the same water resistance to the BB58. I am mainly wanting to go down to two main watches which were going to be the explorer and BB58 but in a way they are similar because they have no date and are the same size but the bb58 just looks fatter and sits weird on my wrist. The thing is I want to kind of just stay with the Explorer and take the DS30 over the BB58 because it's more of a tool watch than the BB58. I am in limbo and would like to get your opinions to help me make my decision. I can afford to keep all three but I just don't want to keep all three because I am not a fan of letting things sit there and not be used.

Re: Rolex 214270 mk2 Explorer & Tudor BB58 or Damasko ds30

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Shizmo View Post
    Kind of odd but I have had a Rolex Explorer (214270 mk2) since March of 2018 and ...
    ::
    I got the BB58 and ....when comparing it with my Explorer it just doesn't have that zing for me.
    I want to downsize my collection because I also have a Damasko ds30 coming in as well...
    The thing is I want to kind of just stay with the Explorer and take the DS30 over the BB58 because it's more of a tool watch than the BB58. I am in limbo and would like to get your opinions to help me make my decision..
    Sell the Black Bay 58.

Seems you already reasoned out with yourself and want some affirmation.

Enjoy your Explorer and DS30.
    STL_Ferrer, 5959HH and jason10mm like this.

How about some photos? Can you take a few pics of the 214270 and the BB58 side by side? I haven’t seen comparisons of these two together anywhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would also move along the Tudor BB if it was bothering me, which I assure you it would not. I would get a fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by phisch View Post
    How about some photos? Can you take a few pics of the 214270 and the BB58 side by side? I haven’t seen comparisons of these two together anywhere.
    Sure thing. Sorry for the quality, it was 9PM and I didn't have any natural light but here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

phisch and oztech like this.

Actually this is a watch you just bought. What made you decide you no longer like it?

See thread that you created in fake busters.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f505/p...t-4967751.html

This is really a catch and release in all sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Actually this is a watch you just bought. What made you decide you no longer like it?

See thread that you created in fake busters.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f505/p...t-4967751.html

This is really a catch and release in all sense of the word.
    Yea, I never had the opportunity to try one on because I only have 1 Tudor AD an hour away and the next one is 7 hours away from me. I live in Utah and the AD is in Salt Lake City and every time I have gone in looking to see one, they never had it in stock.

I was only able to try one on by buying it and when finally got it and put it on my wrist, it just felt weird and the dial looked fairly small but it's because the bezel is included in the 39mm dial size. I love the color scheme but it feels too close to my Rolex on functions, black dial, and couldn't justify spending the extra cost for a watch I might wear here and there. I am not a fan of the bracelet on the Tudor also because the taper is just shrinking end links while on the oyster bracelet, the end links actually taper down.

The Tudor is awesome and the wife actually liked it more but the Rolex to me feels better on the wrist and it's been with me through major events in my life (promotion, new baby, first brand new truck purchase, etc.)

I just think if I am going to get another watch to partner my explorer with the damasko, I think I want a white dial GMT in a 40mm size and I think it's going to have to be the older explorer II or if the release a new model in a 40mm again with the modern movement.

Sell it to me & go with the DS30

Seriously though, it sounds like you already made up your mind and holding on to the idea of the BB58. But don't keep it if you haven't taken to it. If you're not hurting for money hold on to it a little longer to see how you feel later.
    Kids, Cars, & Watches - all day, everyday.

IG: watch_my_time

I have a Black Bay blue ETA. Had it since new for over a year yet will more than likely be selling it soon for a Rolex Explorer. There is no comparison.
    Last edited by Galaga; 1 Week Ago at 06:15.
    5959HH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    I have a Black Bay blue ETA. Had it since new for over a year yet will more than likely be selling it soon for a Rolex Explorer. There is no comparison.
    If the explorer had a longer minute hand there wouldn't be a comparison, but it doesn't and so there's lots to compare. The 58 wins it 🙂

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information