Rolex King Midas - A Forgotten King
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Rashid
  • 1 Post By Dogbert_is_fat
  • 2 Post By MDNoobie
  • 1 Post By vergos_j

Thread: Rolex King Midas - A Forgotten King

Rolex King Midas - A Forgotten King

Video detailing the history, design, movement, price, collectability and provenance of the Rolex King Midas.

I recently stumbled upon this watch while researching famous Bond watches. The villain, in The Man with the Golden Gun, Francisco Scaramanga, played as Christopher Lee wears the Cellini version of this watch.

The design is so different to any other Rolex model I've seen - I was immediately drawn in.

So many surprising things about this watch, from the Gerald Genta design, to the fact it weighs in at 185g.

Anyway, the video goes into more detail. Happy to receive any feedback or to answer any questions!

Re: Rolex King Midas - A Forgotten King

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
    Video detailing the history, design, movement, price, collectability and provenance of the Rolex King Midas.
    !

Thanks for sharing the video. Very interesting and certainly one of the watches you hardly see around these parts.
    Rashid likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video. Very interesting and certainly one of the watches you hardly see around these parts.
    WUS seems to be overwhelmingly an "Oyster bed." I have yet to see folks discuss Rolex in a Cellini (or similar, as in pre-Cellini non-industrial models) context. IDK why.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps if it was worn by a C-list shleb, had a long waitlist, was only generally available at a grey premium and had a steel oyster case, it would get airtime. Everything else goes in the bin.

No problem! And yeah, hadn't even heard of it until recently.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    Perhaps if it was worn by a C-list shleb, had a long waitlist, was only generally available at a grey premium and had a steel oyster case, it would get airtime. Everything else goes in the bin.
    Re: bold text:
    FWIW, a dead A-list celebrity wore one, and they do sell at a premium well above what they cost new.
    -- "The King's King Elvis Presley Rolex King Midas"

Name:  Elvis-Presley-Rolex-King-Midas.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  DSC_8063a.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  DSC_8072.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  DSC_8078lr.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  116.5 KB
    knightRider and MaxIcon like this.

A friend has one, he has owned two of them over the years. The one for the left wrist. I think there was 1000 made. A very heavy watch. Not very legible. Nice presentation box. But really wasn't a watch I would wear.

I had one made for the left hand. Most difficult Rolex to unload I ever had.

And I must add something to that video, king Midas (ΜΙΔΑΣ) had an obsession with gold, as mentioned, but the video doesn’t mention that by accident he hugged his beloved daughter and turned to gold. That is the first drawing of the video. Before that, he had significant problems, he couldn’t eat, because as soon he touched his food, turned into gold. Sad story
    Rashid likes this.
    Αεί ο Θεός ο Μέγας γεωμετρεί, το κύκλου μήκος ίνα ορίση διαμέτρω, παρήγαγεν αριθμόν απέραντον, καί όν, φεύ, ουδέποτε όλον θνητοί θα εύρωσι

Quote Originally Posted by DonLuis View Post
    I had one made for the left hand. Most difficult Rolex to unload I ever had.
    Oh I didn't know they made a left hand version - do you remember the reference by any chance?

Thread Information