WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rolex minutiae

627 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  5959HH 
#1 ·
I still have the original warranty and the gold sticker from the case back of my 1680 Sub that I bought in 1981. the "1680" print is still legible on the sticker. Are these items something that typically got thrown out over the years, or were they commonly saved by Rolex owners?

#8 ·
This exactly.
For once, we can see the culprit, selling without box and papers because they were tucked away :D
Usually some people assume no box or papers = stolen, when people say it's possible to misplace them we all say 'common, who misplaces things for such an expensive purchase'
Here we have it :D
If I were the new owner, i would definitely pay a few hundred more to get the paperwork!

#7 ·
For this watch, those materials would be worth a great deal to a completist collector. I would test the waters in the market. When you sold your 1680 it was done so without the supporting set, and the buyer would have paid less as a result. So there is no moral impediment to selling them separately, either to the buyer or elsewhere.

#10 · (Edited)
Respectfully I must disagree with you. The papers could possibly be worth something to a collector but could also be altered by someone dishonest to be misrepresented with another watch. If I were unable to locate the current owner of the watch, I would tend not sell or give to a third party not in possession of the Rolex in question. Another consideration would be to send the papers, etc. to a Rolex Service Center.

#13 ·
Shame you didn't/weren't able to provide that to the 1680 buyer...

PS I'm going to be "that guy" for a moment and suggest that what you're talking about isn't so much "minutiae", but rather ephemera...
I had to look up the word "ephemera" with which I was unfamiliar:
"Things that exist or are used or enjoyed for only a short time. Items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.