Rolex servicing - still widespread and local?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rolex servicing - still widespread and local?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rolex servicing - still widespread and local?

I've echoed the point numerous times, saying that a plus for Rolex is that it's easy to get them serviced just about anywhere. Your local watchmaker probably has a parts account, the movements aren't that complex anyway, and so you don't have to either send your watch to all the way back to Switzerland — or Japan — or just one of a couple major service centers in-country.

Or that's how the thinking goes, anyway. I can speak for myself in that, a few years back, we had my wife's OP fixed by a local shop who used their parts account to get a genuine Rolex crystal.

Is it still true, though? And is anything happening that could change this?
    5959HH likes this.

Re: Rolex servicing - still widespread and local?

I think it depends on where one lives, the experience level of the local watchmaker, and if that watchmaker has a Rolex parts account. In my case I live in Dallas where I am only a short ride on the DART light rail from Victory Station, and then a 10-minute walk to Dallas Rolex Service Center where I have had exemplary service over many years' duration. Easy access to superior, convenient service is definitely a major factor for my owning Rolexes.
    Betterthere likes this.

Following thread as I would like to know this as well. Seeing the replies on past experiences.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is pretty much true. Of course it depends on where you live. I live in a small college town, and the nearest Rolex AD is about an hour drive away. Basically you have independent watch makers who have a Rolex parts account who can service, the Rolex AD's who can service, and also the Rolex service centers who can as well.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

I live in NYC... so that’s a yes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
    This is pretty much true. Of course it depends on where you live. I live in a small college town, and the nearest Rolex AD is about an hour drive away. Basically you have independent watch makers who have a Rolex parts account who can service, the Rolex AD's who can service, and also the Rolex service centers who can as well.
    Can you say if there’s a watchmaker closer to you than the AD?

Here in the DC/MD/northern VA area, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a reasonably-well-connected repair shop. It’s the Podunk, USA, areas I’m wondering about.

I’m also thinking of situations like Swatch Group tightening supply of their parts and whether Rolex is leaning the same way.

Hmm. Maybe this would be better in the watchmakers’ subforum.

You got it upside down. It is rolex that started the trend of tightening supplies. Swatch group followed. And so did most of switzerland.

Ps. I would be surprised if everybody who claims to have a rolex parts account actually have one. There’s other ways of getting genuine rolex parts without the parts account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BarracksSi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidstain View Post
    You got it upside down. It is rolex that started the trend of tightening supplies. Swatch group followed. And so did most of switzerland.

Ps. I would be surprised if everybody who claims to have a rolex parts account actually have one. There’s other ways of getting genuine rolex parts without the parts account.

This is the kind of info that I want to hear. I don’t want to perpetuate a talking point if I’m mistaken about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    This is the kind of info that I want to hear. I don’t want to perpetuate a talking point if I’m mistaken about it.
    Incidentally, a similar topic has been touched on a different thread. Check out forum member ccwatchmaker’s post in this thread. Very informative on how rolex handles parts account. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f530/h...topics/4987555

Quote Originally Posted by Acidstain View Post
    Incidentally, a similar topic has been touched on a different thread. Check out forum member ccwatchmaker’s post in this thread. Very informative on how rolex handles parts account. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f530/h...topics/4987555

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like things have changed a lot even since I joined WUS.

(The link you posted goes to another thread; one of these should work, though)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/new...topics/4987555
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/new...o-4987555.html

An aside: someone needs to tell that n00b that a topic titled “quick question” doesn’t help at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information