Rolex Submariner 14060m: Dilemma
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Rolex Submariner 14060m: Dilemma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rolex Submariner 14060m: Dilemma

Apologies for starting another topic but I wanted to get some advice on a purchase I am looking at over the next few days.

I have settled on purchasing a Rolex Submariner 14060m and I have found two possibilities but I cannot decide between them:

Option 1:

V Serial - 2010 - good condition but some very slight scuffs but remains in unpolished condition

No service history

Full B&P including the original receipt (although the box is slightly marked)

Asking price: £6,400

To be bought by bank transfer and posted special delivery (seller seems reputable, has provided plenty of pictures/videos and is willing to provide ID / agree to a contract of sale)

Option 2:

M Serial - 2008 - pristine condition as it has never been worn. Not true NOS but as close as it will ever come to it

No service history (as it's just been sat in the box)

Full B&P including original receipt (again all pristine)

Asking price: £7,250

To be bought by bank transfer but picked up directly (as soon as we are able to).

What I like about this watch is it has the rare 'long f' on the dial in the 'ft' marker which although may not add to the value, it does make it a rarer piece as this was only done on transitional models around 2007/2008 and is not seen very often.

Dilemma:

My dilemma is that both watches will require a service due to the age and the fact this has never been done.

I know that people on the forum have differing views between RSC and independent watch servicers but I would likely go down the RSC route just for piece of mind on this which will cost the best part of £600.

My head is saying go for the cheaper one as it's a newer serial by two years and will likely look just like the more expensive one after a full service but my heart is saying get the more expensive one due to the pristine set and quirk with the dial variant.

What would you do in this position?

Appreciate any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Rolex Submariner 14060m: Dilemma

V-serial Hands-down. Itís the last serial before random. Itís cheaper and will people often love the last of something produced. I would buy it and wear it and not worry about servicing it anytime soon as long as it is keeping accurate time. I have much older Rolex watches that have still not been serviced. I wouldnít pay the premium for an older unworn watch. It will be worn as soon as you wear it the first day. The little dial nuance just isnít going to amount to anything special over time, but thatís just my opinion.

ďDonít fix what ainít brokeĒ......thatís my motto. The greater the number of times a watchmaker is in your watch, the greater the chance of dial damage.....even if they are the very best at their trade.

JMHO.
    mav, 5959HH, nobbylon 2 and 4 others like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

2010 one, it's newer, and works out cheaper even with the Rolex service, which will come out practically like new anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

mav

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    V-serial Hands-down. It’s the last serial before random. It’s cheaper and will people often love the last of something produced. I would buy it and wear it and not worry about servicing it anytime soon as long as it is keeping accurate time. I have much older Rolex watches that have still not been serviced. I wouldn’t pay the premium for an older unworn watch. It will be worn as soon as you wear it the first day. The little dial nuance just isn’t going to amount to anything special over time, but that’s just my opinion.

“Don’t fix what ain’t broke”......that’s my motto. The greater the number of times a watchmaker is in your watch, the greater the chance of dial damage.....even if they are the very best at their trade.

JMHO.
    This. I would go for the V Series as well for these same reasons.
    5959HH likes this.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Cartier | Tudor | Seiko | Weiss | G-Shock
    @aguynamedtommy

It looks like the V serial is overpolished though, especially on the lugs.

I think I will wait until the CV pandemic is over and find one in person.

Thanks all

I really don’t know why you keep asking for advice. How many threads is this now, 6?
    solesman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunlawler View Post
    It looks like the V serial is overpolished though, especially on the lugs.

I think I will wait until the CV pandemic is over and find one in person.

Thanks all

You said, ďV Serial - 2010 - good condition but some very slight scuffs but remains in unpolished conditionĒ

Now you say it is over-polished??? You are all over the place........

14060M......no, I want a 16610.....lug holes, no I want newer model without lug holes. A new thread every other day isnít going to help your indecisiveness.
    macharle and Paulsky like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

I'd go with option 2.

You sound like you genuinely love watches and are not a flipper/bargain hunter. For the extra wampum you get a watch that is “new.” If it runs within specs then you don’t need a service. Even if you do find it needs a service, that would just make it even better after the service with new seals and lube. I have always felt newness is worth a premium. It takes away from your ownership when you see wear from another man (unless it’s a beloved relative/friend). And, the extra cost will soon be forgotten.

Sounds to me like you’re just window shopping.
    Dogbert_is_fat, 5959HH and Paulsky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbylon 2 View Post
    Sounds to me like youíre just window shopping.
    ^^^ this.

Would have been better if he had just continued on the same thread rather than keep opening up new ones as I am getting confused.

I think he initially wanted thoughts about date vs no date, then it was date because he needed a date, then it was no date, then date, now this thread is back to a no date.

If he keeps this up, he will be the first person to have reached a hundred posts just by being indecisive
    5959HH and Paulsky like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information