Rolex Submariner and GMT Master II affordability
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rolex Submariner and GMT Master II affordability

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rolex Submariner and GMT Master II affordability

My brother back in 2008 bought a brand new Rolex Submariner 16610 as a graduation present from my Dad in Hong Kong for $44,500 HKD which translates to roughly $5738.87 USD today. Looking at the prices of the new Submariner and the GMT Master II, $8550 and $8450 respectively, is it possible to get these watches for $6000 USD brand new? I will be graduating in 2014 and judging by the way Rolex increases their prices each year, things don't look too good for me. I simply can not justify $8000 for a submariner or GMT Master II.

Thanks
    Brad

Re: Rolex Submariner and GMT Master II affordability

No, you won't be able to, at least not from an authorized dealer. You may, though, be able to find yourself a well cared for 16610 within your price range. On the used market I'm seeing a slight or not so slight premium on the 16610 if considered new old stock or if in mint condition.

Buy a used one. There are plenty around
    Watch list:

Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50
    , Tudor Black Bay Black Bezel eta, Tudor Pelagos LHD, Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brabus View Post
    I simply can not justify $8000 for a submariner or GMT Master II.

Thanks
    Brad
    Neither can I, Brad.

Your price range, however, should enable you to find a very nice used model. One other option, should you desire to purchase new is the 39mm Explorer, which should be within your range (assuming there are no further price increases in the short term). It was not even on my radar until I randomly popped into my AD one day and tried one on. And the rest, as they say, is history. Always good to keep your options open.

Mike.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Thanks for all the replies, it's only been 4 years and the new submariner skyrockets in prices. Would you say this is driven by the new middle class Chinese from mainland China, like all luxury goods like mont blanc pens and LV hand bags. It looks as though Omega is also headed in that direction but I have my eyes on the PO so hopefully in 2 years time it won't cost me $6000.

What year were you born?

I ask because a nice way to get yourself a Sub at a not-too-horrific price would be to seek out a used one from your birth year. That way, you get the watch that you want and one that has a special significance to you.

If you're graduating in 2014, you were likely born sometime in the early 1990s, correct? If so, you'd likely be looking at somewhere in the $5-6K (USD) range for a Submariner of that vintage. Then, not only do you have a fantastic watch but, when someone asks you about it, you get to tell them how you went to the trouble to source a Rolex that was made the same year that you were.

I make this suggestion as someone that's picking up his own birth-year (1978) Submariner in a little over two hours from now.
    2014 Jaeger LeCoultre Master Calendar
    2009 Omega Planet Ocean 8500
    1957 Rolex Air King 6552
    Mid-90s Tag Heuer 2000 Chrono quartz
    Unknown vintage Asprey dress watch (grandfather's)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpe View Post
    What year were you born?

I make this suggestion as someone that's picking up his own birth-year (1978) Submariner in a little over two hours from now.
    I'm actually reading about people doing this with greater frequency; and you know what, it's a good idea!
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Hey Turpe, that's actually a great idea, I've heard of it before but have never actually thought of it. I know Roger Federer did it for his Daytona. I was born in 1991, how hard would it be for me to find one, I assume my best bet to find one would be online rather than go into stores?

Thanks
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Turpe View Post
    What year were you born?

I ask because a nice way to get yourself a Sub at a not-too-horrific price would be to seek out a used one from your birth year. That way, you get the watch that you want and one that has a special significance to you.

If you're graduating in 2014, you were likely born sometime in the early 1990s, correct? If so, you'd likely be looking at somewhere in the $5-6K (USD) range for a Submariner of that vintage. Then, not only do you have a fantastic watch but, when someone asks you about it, you get to tell them how you went to the trouble to source a Rolex that was made the same year that you were.

Did this for my daughter's year of birth. Doing it for mine puts it so far into vintage that it gets challenging to find the right one in terms of year, condition, price, etc. I really dislike polished down watches so vintage is a minefield for me.
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

Quote Originally Posted by brabus View Post
    My brother back in 2008 bought a brand new Rolex Submariner 16610 as a graduation present from my Dad in Hong Kong for $44,500 HKD which translates to roughly $5738.87 USD today. Looking at the prices of the new Submariner and the GMT Master II, $8550 and $8450 respectively, is it possible to get these watches for $6000 USD brand new? I will be graduating in 2014 and judging by the way Rolex increases their prices each year, things don't look too good for me. I simply can not justify $8000 for a submariner or GMT Master II.

Thanks
    Brad
    I paid $3500 for my GMT2 not too many years ago. The current prices are insane in my opinion. A Sub or GMT will probably be $9500 by the time you graduate.
    My arms!
    My corduroy pant!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information