WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Salmon Dial Rolex Datejust

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Rugbyboy96 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been offered a 1993 Salmon dial Rolex Datejust by a friend, I'll be looking at it on Saturday. It has full box and papers, and was serviced by Rolex in 2017, only worn a few times since.

Just looking for advice on how this stacks up to a modern 116000 (as this is what I would otherwise purchase) in terms of comfort, finishing and robustness - it would be my first Rolex, and I would wear it as my weekend watch. Would it be versatile enough for this? I currently have an Omega 2504.80 for work, 18ct Zenith Elite for dress and Seiko SARB017 for dossing about in, plus a couple vintage Russians. What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
The more I look at it, the more I like it...

Does it have a sapphire crystal? Will it be robust enough for normal weekend wear?

The '16' refers to the Datejust 36mm line, the '2' designates sapphire crystal, the '3' indicates a fluted bezel and the '4' gives you the 18K white gold in the bezel. So, yes, it has the sapphire crystal.

It's a Rolex...there's enough robustness there for darn near anything you can do on a weekend, short of using it as a mountain climbing carabiner.

#7 ·
That's a beautiful watch. The only thing that would hold me back is the lack of lume. I had the blue version of that dial and wound up selling it but that's just me.

#10 ·
First post here but as someone who has spent the last six months looking at/for a 16234 I agree. The lugs appear to have been polished or finished incorrectly at some point. The crystal looks chipped at 11:45 as well. Unless this is a really good deal I'd keep looking unless you're sold on the salmon roman dial. With some patience I was able to find the combo I was looking for also recently serviced for a good deal.

#11 ·
Hi all,

I've been offered a 1993 Salmon dial Rolex Datejust by a friend, I'll be looking at it on Saturday. It has full box and papers, and was serviced by Rolex in 2017, only worn a few times since.

Just looking for advice on how this stacks up to a modern 116000 (as this is what I would otherwise purchase) in terms of comfort, finishing and robustness - it would be my first Rolex, and I would wear it as my weekend watch.
The head of the watch is one thing, but the bracelet is quite another. A Jubilee bracelet of that era has hollow end links and is very lightweight, almost to the point of being flimsy. A few years ago I decided to go after an older 36mm Datejust myself, after seeing photos for decades I thought it was time. When my preowned Rolex dealer took one out of his case and let me try it on I thought there must be some sort of mistake- the bracelet felt so cheap and rattly I couldn't believe it. No, he assured me, that's how they are. I bought it and in less than a year I couldn't stand it, felt like I was buckling up a Seiko, not a Rolex.

So....my advice....you need to 100% try this watch on so you understand what the older Jubilee bracelet is all about. They look the same in photos but I've owned two modern DJ's with the modern Super Jubilee bracelet (made from 2002 to present day) and it's like night and day, the modern versions feel heavy and stable and very Rolex-like.

Try it on before you commit. Older DJ's are everywhere, so you should be able to find a local jewelry store or pawn shop with the older hollow Jubilee bracelet to experience.

#13 ·
Will definitely try it out before deciding - would have to be able to agree on a fair price too. He’d take my Fortis Tycoon chrono in part exchange - will have to see how it feels on, 1993 is a little older than I’d like, but the consensus seems to be that it will still be sturdy enough. Its between this, waiting for a 114270 or buying a new 116000

#16 ·
Yes, pretty dial, but the rest of that thing looks rough. Hope it's priced accordingly
What is it about the rest of the watch that looks particularly rough? I'm new to Rolex, especially vintage Rolex.
And what would you say was an appropriate price, given that its original, serviced in 2017, and with box and papers?

#15 ·
To celebrate a certain success in my wife's life, I got her this exact watch (I think it looks good on me too!). I was just taking pictures of it yesterday when this thread popped up. I have an Explorer 39mm mkII and a GMT all-black that I got new this past April. This DJ can't compete with the feel of the modern bracelet. There is no lume. And at 36mm it feels a little small for me. But I have to say, this watch is stunning. It is extremely comfortable on the wrist. And the salmon dial is a real standout. For the right deal, this could certainly be the right watch. Just thought I'd share my .02 and a few pics!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Drum Auto part Musical instrument

Arm Wrist Hand Fashion accessory Cool

Reactions: slique
#18 ·
I missed the other posts, but looking back have found them - I guess I had my salmon tinted glasses on... I had hoped those flaws could be the lighting or something. I won’t commit to anything on Saturday, I’ll take a look, take some of my own photos under natural lighting, and report back.
As I’m totally uninitiated when it comes to Rolex, I think the white 116000 would be my best option. The Rolex purchase it to commemorate the upcoming birth of my first child, I think purchasing new would make it more special. I could get a new 116000 for the same price as this watch, and know its in perfect condition, guaranteed and with my own name on the papers. I think the new bracelet, and more casual feel would be preferable too

#19 ·
I missed the other posts, but looking back have found them - I guess I had my salmon tinted glasses on... I had hoped those flaws could be the lighting or something. I won't commit to anything on Saturday, I'll take a look, take some of my own photos under natural lighting, and report back.
As I'm totally uninitiated when it comes to Rolex, I think the white 116000 would be my best option. The Rolex purchase it to commemorate the upcoming birth of my first child, I think purchasing new would make it more special. I could get a new 116000 for the same price as this watch, and know its in perfect condition, guaranteed and with my own name on the papers. I think the new bracelet, and more casual feel would be preferable too

Congratulations! A year and a half ago I got a (new) white faced DJ at the birth of my son... it's a very nice commemorative watch, and I'm sure the OP would be similarly for you. I still smile and think about him every time I wear it (besides it being a great watch!) And it was/is definitely nice to be the first owner/brand new watch etc.

All the best to you and your family.

Cheers,
Anthony

#20 ·
Hi all,

I looked at the watch this morning - the photos did not do it justice. I took some of my own. It was serviced in 2017 by a rolex accredited watchmaker, not Rolex, and hasn't been polished in the eight years he's owned it. He doesn't believe it was polished before that either, but doesn't know 100%. He bought it from the first owner in 2011. He also offered me a far more attractive price off the bat, including replacing the crystal. He even promised that should I change my mind, or want a change at any point ever, he'd give me the full money back for the watch

#21 ·
The only 'flaw' I can spot is stretch in the Jubilee bracelet. Lots and lots of Jubilee bracelets have that issue. If it bothers you, it can be remedied by seeking out Michael Young in Hong Kong (you can do a web search for him to discover hundreds and hundreds of postings on watch forums attesting to his fine craftsmanship in the restoration of bracelets that have stretched).

If you can live with the stretch, then know you have lots of company in the Jubilee owner's world. If you were just a 'civilian' who had a Rolex with a Jubilee bracelet and had never clicked on a Rolex-centric internet forum, you'd probably never know the difference and never care.

A trip to Hong Kong by the bracelet won't set you back a whole lot, though you'll have to live with the inconvenience for a few weeks and then you'll have a watch that apparently you've wanted for a long time and you can participate here as a full fledged owner.

#24 ·
Sorting the bracelet stretch is something I'd be interested in looking into. This purchase has drained my watch fund for a while, approximately how much would I be looking at for this? I'm fine with the stretch for now, but would eventually like to have it done :)

#23 ·
We’ve reached a deal, this will be my first Rolex when it returns from having the crystal replaced. I’ll be collecting it in a few weeks, very excited! We did speak about having it polished too, but I decided against it in the end, seems a shame to ruin the unpolished vibe, and I can always change my mind later. Another colour to the collection - white, blue, green and pink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.