WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 31 56.4%

Sell my Sub c no date to fund a 40mm Rose gold yachtmaster?

4K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  VicLeChic 
#1 · (Edited)
I made a huge mistake of trying on that yachtmaster and now I definitely want it.

And while the yachtmaster is a much more expensive watch and won’t hold value as well, it definitely looks a lot sharper. Plus I think the oyster flex would fit my wrists better. I have these weird small wrists and the glide lock doesn’t centre on my wrists.

cons are the oyster flex might not be as durable, nor the rose gold case. And it won’t hold the value as well.

Although I have no issues owning more than one Rolex, I would prefer them to be entirely different designs and not the same sport watch with ceramic bezel type design if I did own more than one Rolex.

yay or nay?

#2 ·
What a tough decision. I feel your pain. Personally I think you should go for the Yachtmaster, and I think the oysterflex is going to be quite durable, which might help make the decision easier. It will definitely fit you well, as they size it by cutting it. I tried on the new Yacht 42 at my AD a few weeks ago, and it felt incredible. I totally understand the desire to buy it!

You could always sell the Sub, but I think they are different enough in style that (funds permitting) it might not be crazy to have both. Plus the Sub is so liquid, you can always sell it later if you change your mind and want to get some quick cash. I've never had any problem selling any sport watch when I made the decision to let one go (I struggle wayyyyy more with the decision to sell one, than I ever did finding a buyer).

#5 ·
I voted YM RG. You should be able to get some kind of discount for precious metal, even if it's special order.

Go for it! IMHO the Sub C is not that discrete. The ceramic and deeper teeth in the bezel make the Sub C stand out much more like jewelry than actual tool watch. Esp if wearer's wrist is 7" or below. The previous aluminum series are slightly more inconspicuous then of course all vintages are even more discrete.

So, why not just go for what you really want, and get a vintage explorer, op, or air king if you're feeling discrete.

#6 ·
If it was me or my money, I would definitely do it. Right now the steel Subs are riding the wave of artificial scarcity... so might as well take advantage of it. Alternatively you can sell only the head of the 114060 along with box and papers. Just retain the Sub bracelet. That bracelet would be hugely helpful in the long run. Of course you will get a little less money.

I am highly biased towards the RG YM. I am assuming you are talking about the newer generation 126655. At this moment it is high on my list but I want to associate that watch with a certain substantial growth in my career. For wrists on the smaller side, the YM wears awesome. There is something about the weight of gold coupled with the comfort of the Oysterflex strap and the micro-adjustable clasp.

I would recommend buying that watch. Don’t worry about the lost value.

#7 ·
I made a huge mistake of trying on that yachtmaster and now I definitely want it.
::
the yachtmaster is a much more expensive watch it definitely looks a lot sharper.
cons are the oyster flex might not be as durable, nor the rose gold case.
yay or nay?
Go for it! It's a beautiful watch for sure.

The Submariner is replaceable as it has always been in production and chances are, it will still be in the foreseeable future.

About the oysterflex, I enquired with my AD and was told that it costs AUD$300 and would normally be replaced during service.

I have tried the watch but rubber straps don't work on my wrists as it hurts my ulnar nerve.

#25 · (Edited)
I voted nay. However, I am not in your shoes and don't have the same affinity as you for the 18K RG YM. Hence I feel you should come to your own decision without assistance from any of us, which assistance comes with each of our own bias.
Exactly. NEVER ask "What should I . . . ." about ANYTHING. :think: :roll:

Make your choices/decisions on your own. (<- read that again.)

All that any other posters' inputs supply is what "they" want for themselves -- 5959HH has the handle on this.

#14 ·
I voted, "Nay", because I think you should have both. As has been said, you can always sell the Sub later if you choose. Having both watches gives you time to compare them. Enjoy the process!

#16 ·
I would never lose my Sub but I get it. I just saw a WG YM yesterday while visiting my AD (not for sale) a friend of the owner and it was stunning. That dial and bezel are beautiful and the OF just worked. I'd put that in grail territory.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I've always liked the 40mm RG YM. With the rising tide of the SS sports watches, the RG YM40 has actually gone up in value over the last few years (but probably not by as much as the 114060).

Buy what you like. If you prefer the RG YM40 over the SubC, then go for it! I think the RG YM40 is a beautiful watch, with the matte bezel and the red writing on the dial. Very classy with the RG case and clasp too.

I don't think there's any risk of any degradation of the Oysterflex bracelet either. Rolex builds things to last.

#21 · (Edited)
cons are the oyster flex might not be as durable, nor the rose gold case. And it won't hold the value as well.
Come on man, it's Rolex, that band has more than just rubber in it. It also has titanium in it as well so it will be durable. Also, if by some chance it didn't hold up, here in the states it costs about $330 per half to replace. My 116655 is my weekend tool watch for all water activities and it holds up just fine. It's my Rolex that gets banged around the most and I don't see any nicks or scratches on it. The value part is only a factor if you know you're going to sell it, because BNIB they always seem to be sold for less second hand, unlike the SubC. Also, IMHO that SubC looks too big on your wrist. If you want more than 1 Rolex, I say make your second one a classic 36mm DJ based on your wrist size. Good luck on your decision.

#22 ·
I'd say go for it, you only love once. I took the plunge a few months ago and love mine. I have small wrists too and was considering the 37mm model, but when I tried it on it felt tiny on the wrist...the 40mm version is definitely the one to go for.

Contrary to what others have said I don't think it's that flashy, the rubber bracelet and Matt black ceramic bezel tone the watch down quite a fair bit. Also, the rubber strap isn't cut to size as another member stated...you buy the strap size combination based on your wrist size. I've got the older model without the sub style adjustable clasp...don't miss it though as mine fits perfectly and is very comfortable. I wear it mostly on weekends and it takes the abuse as well as a normal sub.

Good luck in your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I finally gave in and sold my Sub. I could not stand the fat lugs, despite a year of trying to convince myself that it was ok. If you aren't in love with your Sub, then sell it now for the premium and then buy the Yachtmaster at a nice discount.

There will always be Subs and I assure you that the next generation Rolex releases will be an improvement.

Reactions: Londonboy
#28 ·
Can you find a lightly used YM and let someone else take the depreciation hit?

I voted yes. I tried one on recently...so hot.
Well, I can get a deal of sorts on it new so I wouldn't lose money if I did decide to flip it. The plan however is to keep it forever but that was also the plan for the sub and that appears to be on the chopping block now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.