Should I buy this Rolex Explorer II 16570?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Should I buy this Rolex Explorer II 16570?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Should I buy this Rolex Explorer II 16570?

Hi watch enthusiasts,
    I recently asked in this forum whether to get a Polar Explorer II or an Omega AT. With your help I decided for the Explorer II.
    Now I was researching to get a decent offer which turned out to be not that easy. The prices are ever climbing (also for the Ex II) and even watches in bad condition are offered at high prices.

Finally I could get an offer from a trusted dealer with the following specs:
    • Explorer II 16570
    • Year: 2003
    • Box and Papers included, only one pre-owner who rarely wore the piece
    • Condition: on pictures it seems fine as it was worn lilttle, no bigger dents and scratches
    • the dealer has done a service and some careful polishing and even offers a 2 year warranty
      • watch seems to have never been to an official Rolex Service
      • all parts are unreplaced

• Price: the dealer quotes 6600 USD for that piece

My question now is whether I should accept this offer?
    Is this I reasonable price for what I would be getting or a bad rip-off? I know the price is maybe 20% above comparable offers, but I would be getting a first-hand piece with even a warranty from a trusted source.
    Last edited by iheri; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:00.

Re: Should I buy this Rolex Explorer II 16570?

The prices are definitely climbing. I bought my K-Serial w/ B&P last year, from an AD w/ RSC parts account, and they did a service concurrent with my purchase. My watch was originally sold locally by the “other” AD in the area (per the original warranty). I paid near the top of the FMV prices (for this time last year). I was a little hesitant then, but in hindsight am glad I made the purchase, as it has been hassle free, and runs about +/- 0.5 s/d.

I think for 5-digit Rolex, it is better to buy the best example you can at a reasonably fair price, than it is to hunt and hunt for a bargain.
    GMT Master II 16710 Pepsi
    Explorer II 16570 Polar
    Submariner 114060
    Datejust 116234 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by iheri View Post
    <snip>
    I decided for the Explorer II. The prices are ever climbing (also for the Ex II) and even watches in bad condition are offered at high prices.

My question now is whether I should accept this offer?.
    I am one of those who posted on your thread (post #4) and glad to see you have decided on getting the Explorer II. As stated in my post then, prices are creeping up and a good example, complete with box & papers is hard to find as most people would throw the box away. It is hard to say a yay or neh without any pictures of what you are talking about.

I think the 2003 you are talking about does not come with the new movement and the engraved rehault. Thus, I would expect to find the 2003 model priced on the lower end of USD$6k but that is just my own opinion. For comparison, USD$6.6k is very close to a new 6 digit reference Explorer II. Link to Crown and Calibre that has prices ranging from low 5's to 7's. https://www.crownandcaliber.com/coll...t:ss_price:asc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    I am one of those who posted on your thread (post #4) and glad to see you have decided on getting the Explorer II. As stated in my post then, prices are creeping up and a good example, complete with box & papers is hard to find as most people would throw the box away. It is hard to say a yay or neh without any pictures of what you are talking about.
    Here is a picture for reference:

Name:  ex2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  97.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    I think the 2003 you are talking about does not come with the new movement and the engraved rehault. Thus, I would expect to find the 2003 model priced on the lower end of USD$6k but that is just my own opinion. For comparison, USD$6.6k is very close to a new 6 digit reference Explorer II. Link to Crown and Calibre that has prices ranging from low 5's to 7's. https://www.crownandcaliber.com/coll...t:ss_price:asc
    Thank's for the link. Most of the cheaper ones don't have B&P or do have tritium which I don't like.

Thank's for the link. Most of the cheaper ones don't have B&P or do have tritium which I don't like.
    Thanks! The watch in the picture does look good. Link I provided was to help you understand the upper and lower price points and see where your USD$6.6k sits.

Thanks! The watch in the picture does look good. Link I provided was to help you understand the upper and lower price points and see where your USD$6.6k sits.

That is really expensive.

Name:  ex2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  97.0 KB

The watch in your picture, or at least the bracelet, is not consistent with a 2003 reference. It could be an A-Serial that wasn’t sold until 2003 (Swiss made dial, not tritium). But the bracelet in the pic has the old end links. It does not have SELs. SELs started on the late A-Serial watches (Circa 1999/2000).

I enjoy looking at Crown and Caliber, and they help give a price range, but I also imagine most people who sell their watch to C&C don’t have the best examples of the particular watch, most are without B&P, etc...
    Rusty427 likes this.
    Explorer II 16570 Polar
    Submariner 114060
    Datejust 116234 Silver

Name:  DA3BF43F-457D-48BB-8E4A-6BD20BA804B0.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  FAC65E1F-1EC9-4271-B0BF-F4B5CE205A37.jpeg
Views: 88
Size:  1.74 MB

Here is my K-Serial (circa 2001 production). If you look at the end link, you won’t see a “line” through the first link (as in your pic), hence the Solid End-Link (SEL)
    Explorer II 16570 Polar
    Submariner 114060
    Datejust 116234 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by harry_flashman View Post
    The watch in your picture, or at least the bracelet, is not consistent with a 2003 reference. It could be an A-Serial that wasn’t sold until 2003 (Swiss made dial, not tritium). But the bracelet in the pic has the old end links. It does not have SELs. SELs started on the late A-Serial watches (Circa 1999/2000).

I enjoy looking at Crown and Caliber, and they help give a price range, but I also imagine most people who sell their watch to C&C don’t have the best examples of the particular watch, most are without B&P, etc...
    Thanks for pointing out - now I am a little confused.
    As far as I know the 2003 model should have SEL, right?

Here is a picture of the back of the end link:

Name:  ex2endlink.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  49.9 KB

So is that breacelet really wrong and one with hollow end links? I have no expertise here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information