So all this time people thought the "James Bond Nato" was the actual color and design!!!!!
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: So all this time people thought the "James Bond Nato" was the actual color and design!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Laughing So all this time people thought the "James Bond Nato" was the actual color and design!!!!!

Check this out!

This is the strap in the James Bond Movies wore.

This is the watch strap everybody likes to call the "James Bond Nato".

Pics from here.

"Jake's Rolex Watch Blog".

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/

Re: So all this time people thought the "James Bond Nato" was the actual color and design!

And as you can plainly see Sean Connery NEVER wore ANY KIND of NATO, nor did any other James Bond character. It was a slip through belt strap. You obviously don't see any steel returns on Sean Connery's nylon strap not to mention his strap is a one piece construction v. the two-piece construction a NATO has.

Ironically NATO straps did not even exist when Sean Connery filmed Goldfinger.

Warmest regards,

Jake
    Editor and Publisher of Jake's Rolex World Magazine & Research Library located at http://www.RolexMagazine.com

Re: So all this time people thought the "James Bond Nato" was the actual color and design!

Surely, to be authentic, the 'Bond' strap has to be 16mm on 20mm lugs?

More to the point, the claim that no Bond ever wore a NATO strap misses the point for the simple reason that there is no such thing as a NATO strap; it is merely a recent nickname.

There are a wide number of similar MOD, AM and WD watch strap standards since the war but the most recent iteration of them is:

1) DEF STAN 66-15 (PART 1) with an extra loop

2)
    DEF STAN 66-15 (PART 2) without the loop but with an optional leather patch.

Both of these are a restating of a G10 standard which is a restating of a W10 standard which restates a WWW standard which restates an ATP standard. At some point the material changed from cotton to nylon but the strap is a very old idea.

In other words, the basic strap design (and the watches they match) have been around since the Second World War. The fact that they both currently have a NATO stock number, and thus this nickname, makes no difference to the fact that both strap designs are NATO standards and the latter predates the first Bond movies.

Personally, if I were looking for a truly authentic Bond strap, rather than an ill fitting and random strap slapped on at the last moment by someone in wardrobe, I would consider Bond's rank: commander. As I have argued elsewhere, Fleming gave Bond his watch, an Explorer I. Now, in the books, Fleming had Bond wear an authentic Rolex expanding bracelet, just as he himself did.

In the films however, Bond was given a Submariner. However, given that the watch was clearly on some sort of regimental G10 strap, the choice of strap colour is obvious: Bond is a commander, just as his creator was. Fleming was a Commander in the intelligence services as was Bond. With such a rank and in such a role it is clear that Bond, like his creator would have been in the RNR (now RNVR) and thus would have worn a strap like this:

http://www.smartturnout.co.uk/acatalog/info_RN_55.html

in red white and blue.

To wear meaningless, or worse, another services' or regiments' colours would be a terrible gaffe.
    Last edited by M4tt; July 24th, 2009 at 17:47.
    ScholarsInk likes this.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Picture Giving credit where credit is due

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    Check this out!

This is the strap in the James Bond Movies wore....
    Further to your point, here's what I am sure is not the only WUS Thread where the source of the currently being produced strap that you reference talks at some length about the project.

Pictures, too.

LINK

This is not a huge revelation to most of the members here. This has been discussed several other times. Why is it that it seems you only come over to the Rolex forum to try and start something ??
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Banned

I quite like that tatty look, i had an old timex that had a random strap but looked fantastic. Don't think you will see many people going "origonal" though on this site

Might go buy one of thos alpha clone jobby watches and see if i can recreate it

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    Check this out!

This is the strap in the James Bond Movies wore.

This is the watch strap everybody likes to call the "James Bond Nato".

Pics from here.

"Jake's Rolex Watch Blog".

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/
    I hope this is simply to clarify an issue and not shoot down other people's liking of "bond natos" as how they understand it to be. I actually like the latter better than what Bond actually used. And slapping on a 16mm on a 20 mm. lug width looks ridiculous IMHO.

Off Topic post Re: So all this time people thought the "James Bond Nato" was the actual color and design!

Quote Originally Posted by RT24k View Post
    I hope this is simply to clarify an issue and not shoot down other people's liking of "bond natos" as how they understand it to be. I actually like the latter better than what Bond actually used. And slapping on a 16mm on a 20 mm. lug width looks ridiculous IMHO.
    There's no criticism of any way in which folks handle their watch bands as far as I'm concerned. People wear their watches in all sorts of configurations, for all sorts of reasons.

Nothing I've seen in research has given a clear answer regarding what is commonly referred to as the "NATO strap" in a number of the early James Bond with Sean Connery. The look on the screen is similar in what we seen in close-ups from both Goldfinger and Thunderball (including lug- versus strap-width differences), which suggests something more than random occurance, oversight, or the need to leave an apparent error uncorrected in deference to continuity within a particular film.

I suppose a lot of folks wear their watches on the sort of straps we're discussing here because of the 007 connection. But they don't limit that to the film-specific watch, nor even Rolex.

That said, I do like to get the terminology correct. Hence my reference to the discussion Cam and I had about "RAF" versus "NATO" citations.

Which leads to this question: If the "purpose" of going from the conventional strap seen on Bond's Rolex diver watch in both Dr. No and From Russia with Love was in support of his wearing the watch on the outside of his wetsuit for the first part of the pre-title sequence, then tastefully under his shirt cuff shortly after in that same mission...

Where did the extra strap length go?

I prefer the black & grey striped woven nylon strap that's been out for a while.....goes well w/ my attire...I like greys & blacks. I also heard/read somewhere that the grey & black stripe was/is stripe color of general military intelligence in British military, & since Bond was in the RN he'd wear that color stripe combo.

I'm afraid it isn't. Military Intelligence branch colours are Oriental Blue piped with Silver Grey. However I agree that the black and grey of the traditional G10 Bond works well with pretty well anything. All three revisionist options given so far would not be as adaptable.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information