So, I dropped my BB58 on concrete this weekend...
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: So, I dropped my BB58 on concrete this weekend...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

So, I dropped my BB58 on concrete this weekend...

Name:  DSC_7700 copy.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  277.4 KB

Name:  DSC_7705 copy.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  281.8 KB

Name:  DSC_7711 copy.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  278.8 KB

It's official: I'm an idiot. I stuck my new (bought in June) BB58 in my golf bag for a round this weekend. Got back to my buddy's house, set my bag down outside his garage, and unzipped the pocket to grab my watch. Despite thinking, "I probably shouldn't drop this right now," I did just that. Right smack onto the case at 9:00; pics included, though they don't show up quite as well compressed. Dropped from probably 1.5 - 2 feet onto his driveway. Now have a nice gouge in the case and a slightly dented bezel.

Aside from chastising myself for my own stupidity, is there anything I ought to do here? I've been keeping an eye on the time since I dropped it on Saturday and it seems to be holding fast at 3-4SPD, which is right where it was before. I'll continue to monitor. Should I take it in to get it serviced? Watch the time and count my lucky stars if everything is normal over the next few days?

My only other concern, which is harder to see in the pictures, is that one of the gouges appears to have a little bit of brown in it. Almost looks like pitting, although it only shows up at certain angles, most of them under sunlight outside. I don't have a loupe, otherwise I'd give it a closer look. I did run it under some fresh water to make sure I washed out any little driveway bits that might have been stuck in there.

I'm continuing to kick myself, but hey, I can't un-drop it. The wife has been quick to remind me that it's just a watch and I didn't buy it to stick it in a safe in plastic wrap. That may be true, but it doesn't make dropping and gouging it any easier to stomach...
    41Mets likes this.

Re: So, I dropped my BB58 on concrete this weekend...

No, you're not an idiot. This is quite a frequent occurrence. People drop a watch on a driveway, along a footpath, playing games on a field etc. I think most watches are designed to take a certain level of external shock and if nothing inside was dislodged and it still runs, then I would just leave it until service time. Does anything sound like it's come off loose?

I think you'll agree that at least the sapphire glass didn't shatter. The service centre will polish off the case and replace your bezel during service. You could try your hand at using a Cape cod polishing cloth on the case side if the pits bother you enough.
    yngrshr likes this.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that, I’d be upset too but accidents happen. Failing there are no mechanical issues, it’s just cosmetic. Whether you should take it in for service is up to you. Gotta say I probably would but only because it would bug me every time I looked at it. It will likely be a costly repair though depending if you are asking for a new case and bezel.

Still a beautiful watch.

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First scratch / ding always hurts, no doubt about it, remember mines like it was yesterday, but these are not made of crystal, they are tough and designed to withstand a lifetime of wear and knocks, as is the movement, I am sure it will be fine, and it most certainly will not be the last, but you will get over it, probably around about the time you get the second scratch :) No, joking aside my first scratch was a couple of months into my ownership, and since then I have not had any (owned for a couple of years now), so it will happen, just unlucky for you that it happened so soon, don't beat yourself up over it :)
    TheWhiteRabbit likes this.

I've noticed a pattern with new owners of used watches and owners
    where damage is suspected. They seem to have a sense of urgency.

Generally there is no urgency unless water has entered the case.

My suggestion is to wear the watch for another few months and decide
    at that time if the gouges are sufficiently bothersome that they require
    a polishing. The polishing will certainly reduce and perhaps remove the
    gouges without changing the appearance of the case.

I'm sorry to hear of the misfortune.

Not an idiot at all. Alas these things happen.

Not uncommon. I vote wear the watch, check its accuracy over the next week or so and then move on. Battle scars are part of a watches life story. When it comes time for service I would probably tell them to clean it out but leave the dents as a reminder. scratches and dents tell stories. a watch left in the box doesn't.
    yngrshr likes this.

Any chance you have insurance on your watch? My homeowner's insurance, through which I insure my watches, covers accidental damage with no deductible. Of course it depends on the level of damage, but my example is that a week into owning a watch that waited 7 months for the spring bar failed and it flew off my wrist 5 to 10 feet in the air and hit the concrete floor. He was in worse shape than yours, but considering it was brand new and was all banged up, I sent it in to rgm who did an estimate on the repairs and my insurance company covered the entire repair.

On the other hand, I recently, stupidly, messed up the outer part of the lugs of one of my watches changing the bracelet. I knew the springbar was popping out the wrong end but I didn't realize it was actually gouging the lug. I freaked out, I contacted the company to ask what I could do, they gave me the name of a guy in the US that is their supplier, he told me that the only thing that could be done would be to have steel laser welded into the case and that that would be about 600 bucks. He then told me that it was a tool watch, a sports watch meant to be used, and just to leave it as is and not worry about it, that eventually there would be much worse. My guess is that's probably what you should do, as these mistakes always make us feel like idiots and they always look and seem worse in the first few days when we're staring at it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Sorry, that's a bummer, if it's keeping the same time it was before I wouldn't worry about it, if it was me I'd be worried that as soon as I got it back from being polished out/ repaired I'd drop it again.

Sorry to see that, but don't beat yourself over it. I dropped my Sub onto my kitchen tile and it dented one of my lugs pretty badly, and I felt just like how you feel right at this moment. I got over it eventually, and now I think that dent adds history/character to my watch.
    Paulsky likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information