WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue

571 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ccm123 
#1 ·
I have been an avid reader of this forum - and specifically this sub forum for the last year or so, and thought it be time to give something back in the form of a collection story.
Feel free to provide any feedback or comments you'd like.

Before having the means to splurge on anything really high end, once I started working (service Industry) I bought a black Tissot tradition chronograph 42mm on black leather, which was the perfect watch for the job: classic, dressy enough, not too flashy. Wore it for +/-10 years, in combination with a sportier 40mm Helgray Chronograph (which I got from Kickstarter :-x) and a Seiko 5 diver with Spanish day date and rotating bezel, which I wore on a nato. The latter was also my only mechanical time piece.

Something borrowed (well, from another brand at least)

Growing up, one complication ruled all - the chronograph-, and one execution of said complication was more iconic than any other: the moonwatch.
I always felt like Omega was the more sensible brand compared to Rolex: you got 95% of the value for 60% of the price.

At 33, after a move from employee to (one of) business owner(s) a couple of years prior, our company began to grow and it was the first real folie I allowed myself: an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional on leather bracelet. It was the perfect step up to replace the Tissot (which took ages to sell), but I was a bit underwhelmed once I first purchased it. I went grey market, so had never had the possibility to try it on before the purchase.
Sure it was a nice watch, but I distinctively remember that I expected a higher wow factor when putting it on the wrist. As an example, I always found the engraving -albeit historical- somewhat uncomfortable.
Still, it became my daily watch and I have had a tremendous amount of positive feedback on the watch ever since. It seems to attract positive attention, both from men and women. I think I truly believed I had found my one watch, with which I would spend the rest of my life.
The reason why I purchased it on a leather bracelet was twofold: it was cheaper ;-) - and I didn't like metallic bracelets on watches. Experience had thought me they were loud (both in the sense of attention and noise) and uncomfortable (hair pinchers!). I now wear it on moss green leather strap from Hirsch, with some nice fade.

Something new

Fast forward 1,5 years later and we had successfully completed an "exit" from our business. I found myself thinking that I should celebrate the landmark with something special, something worthy of the moment.
That's when I really discovered this place (and others), and where I truly went down the rabbit hole that is horological history.
I read and watched (youtube) everything I could find for months on end from Rolex to JLC, Patek, AP and Lange, down to IWC, Nomos and Omega. I tried to submerge myself in the technical specs and understanding how a mechanical watch really works (I actually started opening up old mechanical watches just to have a look).

Soon enough I knew, I could give many pieces a try, but that there was only one other iconic piece, which had inadvertently snuggled its way into my subconscious.
The Rolex Submariner would become the watch to commemorate this moment in time. The question now was 5 or 6 digits? I read so many different opinions, but in the end decided that the 116610LN would be the one for me.
The date complication is once again a dividing element, but it was the biggest frustration I had when wearing my Speedy at work. The amount of times I needed a date window was astonishing. Besides, I always liked the domed magnifier.
I went grey market again (didn't really have a choice this time) and really wanted a brand new one. It arrived with stickers on (which ironically, was a painstaking process to remove :)).
Whereas the Omega had been an underwhelming feeling, this one hit it home... I was so smitten with this watch - and actually adored its bracelet. I had purchased some leather straps as I expected to swap out the bracelet (I know, the audacity), but I never did for more than a day. This watch simply belongs on a bracelet. It is my favourite watch and would be my choice if I were required to slim down to a one-watch collection.
It took me a while to actually wear it at work: in my experience, it's a different type of attention than with the Omega and I still take it off when visiting certain clients. You don't always want to flash this kind of wrist presence in my industry.

Something Blue

I was so overwhelmed by the Sub, that it didn't take long for me to start hunting again. I knew I wanted another Rolex, based on the experience of the previous one. I quickly knew it would have to be something somewhat more unique (everything is relative, but I definitely see much less of these than the traditional Sub) and bought an Oyster Bracelet GMT Master II BLNR from 2016.
In my opinion just the right amount of shine and that gorgeous blue and black bezel literally kept me up at night (youtube once again).
This has become my weekend watch. Took it on holidays with the family over the summer where it served as the evening watch, alongside the Sub for the pool, snorkeling etc.
It's my wife's favourite out of the collection.

Something Old

When I considered the Sub, what I appreciated in the 6-digit model was its robustness and easy day-to-day wear. I don't have to worry when I hit something, scratches come right off with the red sponge and I love the bracelet adjustability.
The downside as you all know, is that the superluminova will never age, patina, change... I felt like this was a charm that I would appreciate and set out to complete (hopefully) my collection. After considering a birth-year watch, my preference switched to a nicely patinad 5513 without gold markers. The pureness of these dials without the gold is something I'm sure we can all appreciate. Alas, finding a nicely faded 5513 with B&P at an acceptable price point seemed an impossible task and I settled for a mintlooking two-line 14060.
I felt it completed the collection (no date) and would scratch that initial 5-digit itch I had when I purchased the 116610. I wear it on a nato strap for the moment (orange, because summer).
I am glad I started off my Rolex collection with the 6-digit reference. The 14060 certainly has its charm, but in my very humble opinion the 116610 is the better watch. I realize this is blasphemy on this board, and I am certain to be heavily influenced by glazing down on my maxi dial for months on end, but coming from the newer watch, the old once feels somewhat delicate with its smaller hands, indicators and jiggly bracelet. I do appreciate it, but as stated priorly: if I had to choose it would always be my 116610.
It has a nice cream colour patina all across and will hopefully continue to change over time. Downside is that its indicators provide absolutely zero light.

What's in the future?

My wife, who's not at all into watches (she had a metal allergy in the past, and as such doesn't wear much jewellery), wore my Sub on holiday and that seems to have spiked an interest. We actually went to our local Rolex dealer to try on some TT datejusts, which was a fun experience. As I was wearing my Batman, the dealer obviously took notice and asked whether I wanted to be notified should anything interesting come in in the future. So now I am on the wait list for a black Daytona and a BLRO b-)
Obviously, I'm not holding my breath, but who knows? :think:
Otherwise, I'm more than satisfied with the current state of the collection. I feel I have a different connection with each watch and like to swap them regularly. I know it's not the most diverse set of watches, but I feel it represents my style, age (35) and I don't currently feel the need to have a dress watch just because. I tried on a 36 datejust on jubilee and although it's very nice, it's just not me (yet?). Should I want to expand the collection with a specific dress piece, I'd actually look at the low end of the market (Seiko) as I just don't need to wear it as much.

Thanks for reading!

Some pictures, obviously.

Material property Floor Flooring Fashion accessory Metal

Something Old
Analog watch Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Watch accessory

Analog watch Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Watch accessory

Something new
Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Something Blue
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Wrist Watch accessory

Something Borrowed
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.