WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Something wrong with this Rolex ref 1601

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  pj1369 
#1 ·
Hello!

A private seller offers this Rolex to me for a fair price. I looked between the lugs and the numbers reads that it is a rolex ref. 1601. Then looked for the Serial numbers and I found out that it was produced in 1978. But the thing is that the dial is a replacement dial, like the seller said.
And the biggest concern i have is that the watch doesnt feature a quickset, which it should if it is a Datejust? Could it be so that the original movement have been replaced with a movement from a Rolex date and has not a datejust movement in it?
I will put some pics of the watch.

#9 ·
The thing is that i dont like the dial at all really, have never been a attracted to watches with Diamonds. I want to change the dial, if i buy the watch.
The seller gave me an offer of 1700 dollars for this Rolex. Is that a fair price? Maybe i can go down a little bit more. I just have to take it to a watch service store that can open the caseback and I can confirm the movement is original.
The seller told me i can wear the watch for some days and try to open it to check for my self and confirm its originality, and that is quite nice of him, that he trusts me that i will not steal it.

#11 ·
Honestly said, the aftermarket diamond dial IMO is awful and would alone be a dealbreaker for me at any price. That and possible imminent movement overhaul could drive investment in the old watch up to double the “fair” asking price. Personally I wouldn’t touch that one with a 10-foot pole.

#14 ·
Honestly said, the aftermarket diamond dial IMO is awful and would alone be a dealbreaker for me at any price. That and possible imminent movement overhaul could drive investment in the old watch up to double the "fair" asking price. Personally I wouldn't touch that one with a 10-foot pole.
Yeah that dial isnt that good looking at all. I returned the watch yesterday so i will not buy it, it didnt feel right at all with that watch.

#12 ·
it's cheap but would need a lot of work. it's definitely seen use over the years. the lume on the hands is gone in some places so you would want to replace those, the dial, and crystal to have a decent looking watch. if it hasn't been serviced recently, i would imagine one is coming due soon. you're probably better off saving your money for something else

#15 ·
Yeah, that was my thought aswell that it will probably need a lot of work and extra money to complete it. I believe this seller said the watch hasnt been service for 10 years or something, so a service would have been a must for this watch and that alone would cost me some hundred dollars plus the change of the new dial.
I did returned it, so the deal is off. Thanks for the advice and reply.

#17 ·
Good job passing on this watch.

Not only is the price way out of line (due to dial and needed service,) the bracelet has a LOT of wear; you can see the "chipping" wear at the joints. That is the reason the bracelet is so "tilty" if you hold it level, and it badly sags.

To restore the watch's bracelet, dial and the service needed, all of that would far outweigh any value you would get.

Again - good job. Thanks for asking about the watch and getting the valuable inputs you have received from others. That is a big part of what this forum is -- helping others.

#18 ·
Good job passing on this watch.

Not only is the price way out of line (due to dial and needed service,) the bracelet has a LOT of wear; you can see the "chipping" wear at the joints. That is the reason the bracelet is so "tilty" if you hold it level, and it badly sags.

To restore the watch's bracelet, dial and the service needed, all of that would far outweigh any value you would get.

Again - good job. Thanks for asking about the watch and getting the valuable inputs you have received from others. That is a big part of what this forum is -- helping others.
Thanks alot man!

Yeah i felt like a had to return it, because i has a bad feeling about the watch from the beginning, and I felt like a had to have some advice from other watch collectores/enthusiasts that has knowledge about these things, and I am glad that i did, because i got som very good tips and advice about this deal.

Thanks alot guys from stopping me making a bad deal i would regret otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.