WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sub experts: Newer and unpolished or older and polished

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Slimetime 
#1 ·
Ok I’m about to plunge into the Sub world, and am pondering if I should opt for an older reference but in lesser condition (Eg modestly polished but otherwise original) or newer and unpolished one (truly unpolished mind you). My budget is in the ballpark of a glossy dial 16800 or newer.

I know there are as many threads on this topic as there are opinions, but I need a little affirmation as I head into a purchase that’s bigger than any I have made since buying my last car lol.

Appreciate the space and your input!

#2 ·
If glossy dial, then go newer and unpolished — like a 16610 or 14060, even a 6-digit.

If you were looking at older matte dial vs newer glossy, then a different analysis.

Generally, get the best example you can find within your budget. Bargain Rolexes are often expensive mistakes.

Good luck!

#3 ·
It all depends on your preference; I always suggest to buy the best example that fits your budget.

Reactions: trf2271
#5 ·
Unpolished, full set of box and papers. 16800 or 16610. The 6 digit ceramics are superb but still being made so even though tough to get are still in good supply whereas the 5 digit in nice order are starting to get scarce. Most seem to have been polished either during service or by the dreaded cape cod and scotchbrite desk divers club. Research how to tell unpolished from polished and start the search. Tritium 16610’s are classics now and base 2 line 14060 are going to get expensive very quickly I think.

#6 ·
Appreciate all the input, gents! Hoping for something in the 80s and was heavily eyeing an ‘89 16610 all original. Seems like one above said (and I’m probably paraphrasing) “lot of bang for the buck.” More than anything I want all original. Faded bezel and creamy tritium, all the better 🙂

#8 ·
The fetish over polishing that you read on the forums is nothing to worry about. Unless the case is whittled down to matchsticks, don't worry about it and buy whichever watch looks better and fits your budget best. A bad polish can be corrected in a day by any qualified watchmaker.

#10 ·
Simply put, an unpolished watch is the shape that it should be. There are so many watches out there that don’t even look like Rolex anymore apart from the dials! Fat long lugs with nice sharp edges are what is needed. You’ll be happy you chose unpolished in the long run. An unpolished original case is more desirable than a polished one, the market and the premiums for this are the proof.

#11 ·
Personally I prefer watches that look in good condition when I wear them (polished within reason). I prefer to create my own scratches whilst others prefer something being untouched since the day it left the factory. As the knowledgeable people on here wrote. The type of lume and dial can effect the
Price and appetite towards the watch in this circle. Luckily I'm not so bothered about old lume so that doesn't influence my purchase choices.

No wrong answer and a great deal of choice, so that's good!

Typically in my experience noone will notice or appreciate that specific ref or dial or lume besides you and the forum, so depends what your focus and budget is!

#13 ·
I would also suggest not to obsess too much over box and papers. Of course they’re nice to have but I would much prefer a watch in great condition from a reputable seller without box and paperwork to one that’s in worse condition but has papers. Plus you can get a better deal.

#15 · (Edited)
I would also suggest not to obsess too much over box and papers. Of course they're nice to have but I would much prefer a watch in great condition from a reputable seller without box and paperwork to one that's in worse condition but has papers. Plus you can get a better deal.
I think this is really sound advice.

Found with a box but no papers. 1989 16610, with open 6s/9s, and modest patina on lume and insert . Once confirmed tomorrow (when I take delivery!) I'll update with pics!

Thx to everyone for the feedback and perspectives!

I'm definitely buying to keep. The market at this price point scares me frankly lol. That may sound dumb, but I have way less stress buying/selling sub-$2k; heck, even $7k seems modest by Rolex standards ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.