WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Submariner date or explorer 2

2K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  Tat2 
#1 ·
Which one is the best for the first rolex ??? More easy outgoing and also can use everywhere with suit or on the beach or short pants etc ...
i know explorer 2 is bigger 2 mm than submariner but actually not really big different ..which one hold value better

#3 ·
Depends which sub. Personally I think the lugs on the latest subs make it look huge. Dont ever buy a watch solely for "holding its value" fashions and trends change quickly. 5 years ago people were still lusting after big watches like Panerai etc. Now everyone wants 39mm so you may get unlucky if you but the current trend. Try both on and you'll know which one to get.

#5 ·
Not sure how big your wrists are? :think: Anyway, here is my Sub on my relatively slim 17cm wrists.
I find it extremely comfortable and easy to wear. Size wise, I think it's perfect.
Hope this is of some help?

Attachments

#12 ·
I think if you go with the 40mm black dial explorer 2, you have pretty much the same case, tho slightly thinner, as the pre-ceramic with an added complication and still good 100m water resistance. If you go for brand new Exp 2, you have a bigger case and odd 21mm lugs.
Value-wise the sub is the king.

if you go polar, it's a different animal and the dial is what people want. Hard to try them both on, but maybe try to go to a watch meetup and hopefully there will be both there for you to try on..

#14 ·
Sub. If I had a bigger wrist then the Explorer ii.

#15 ·
SubC Date is the most versatile and also the one likely to retain its value best. It is the quintessential Rolex SS sport watch. However, I do know some people don't like wearing a SubC Date because it is arguably the most prevalent Rolex SS sports watch out there.

I don't like the new Explorer II's proportions being 42mm. The Polar 40mm Explorer II is an underrated classic and would be my second preference behind the classic SubC Date.

#17 ·
I feel like this has been over simplified. They’re two different tool watches designed and built for different applications. I assume as your comparing them that they both cover your application needs though so the differences in features are irrelevant. Both are versatile enough for the purposes you mentioned - beach, suite and shorts.

If you can find it at retail prices then Submariner Date would be the smart choice - will appreciate in value significantly the moment you own it. If you can, buy two - reselling one would probably pay for the pair!

Used - Explorer II is better value as likely to be found at lower prices. You could purchase it and something else nice like a Tudor BlackBay or Omega Speedmaster Professional or Seamaster for the price of the Sub Date alone. Personally this is how I went - the Eplorer II is my daily wear (including work which is frequently outdoors active environment), I’ve got a Speedy Pro which can be manually wound up for occasions when I feel like it and a Seamaster Professional on rubber strap which I wear at the beach, diving, kayaking, etc. and two old Rolex Precision manual wind on leather straps (one black and one brown) for suits on rare occasions - keeps life a bit more interesting than just the one for all...

#18 ·
Thanks guys .. I think I will go to pre own dealer first and try also see in metal , actually my wrist size about 6,5 ,and I google the lug size between explorer 2 not really that different with Tudor black bay gmt , but submariner lug to lug size is smaller than explorer which also more comfortable to wear for small wrist size

#19 ·
No contest, always a Submariner. Any age, date or no date, 4,5 or 6 reference, a Submariner will always be the quintessential Rolex. Copied by many and equaled by none and probably the one watch every other manufacturer wishes they’d made famous. I gave my 16800 to my daughter and replaced it with a DeepSea but the Submariner still calls to me.
If I can’t find a decent 16600 soon I’ll buy a new 114060 as it still has the same dna as all Submariners before it.......and no PCL’s ffs.;)
I’ve been offered 3 Sub dates in the last 2 and half years, bought one but passed on the others as I fancied a no date as it looks cleaner. Unless you really want the date go for a 114060.

#23 ·
I'd argue that unless you NEED a second timezone, or REALLY like the look of the Explorer II, then the Submariner Date is the way to go. Not rare, but there is strong demand for them. So getting rid of it if you don't enjoy it would be super easy.

The only reason I didn't pick a Sub for my first Rolex was that I felt that the GMT function would be a very useful feature for my lifestyle. But if I didn't travel for work, I suspect I would have started with the Sub, and I suspect I'd still be wearing it.

#28 ·
All SS sports models hold value well. Sub slightly more, there's just more demand. You should be more worried about how you're going to get one from the AD. You'll have better luck with the Explorer 2. If they're nice, it's likely a 2-3 month wait. Take what you can get.

#29 ·
I just got a 114060, while I already have a Explorer 2. Looking back at this decision, I should have chosen the Sub first--it's just a classic design and a renowned watch (unless that's not your thing).

#34 ·
Mine was a Sub no date. So I'd go with the Sub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.