SURVEY - WHICH ROLEX (S) TO KEEP FOREVER? Which two are the most "collectable"?

View Poll Results: What should he do?

Voters
21. This poll is closed
  • Keep the SD and EXII and pass on the LV

8 38.10%
  • Keep the SD, sell the EXII , and get the LV

8 38.10%
  • Keep the ExII, sell the SD, and get the LV

1 4.76%
  • Keep the SD & the EXII and get the LV anyway

4 19.05%

Thread: SURVEY - WHICH ROLEX (S) TO KEEP FOREVER? Which two are the most "collectable"?

SURVEY - WHICH ROLEX (S) TO KEEP FOREVER? Which two are the most "collectable"?

Hi everyone,
    I currently have a Sea-Dweller 16600, Explorer II (16570 Polar), and am in the market to purchase a 16610LV (M series) very soon from a friend of a friend. My dilemma is this -
    if/when I get the LV, at some point in the near future, I would almost certainly have to part with one of these. For this survey, please lend me your wise input and rank the above three in order of importance based on style, "collectable" factor, if any (read, future value etc.) and whatever else you see fit. Please go on the premise that I will most likely only keep two of these. They are all in very good to mint condition. Thanks in advance as your input will help me choose and/or whether I even purchase the LV.

Banned

Re: SURVEY - WHICH ROLEX (S) TO KEEP FOREVER? Which two are the most "collectable"?

If it was me I would keep the two you have. I've always loved the Sea Dweller and the Explorer is a nice complement to it. The LV being another diver wouldn't give you two truly unique choices as you do now. If you don't have to part with one then by all means it would me an excellent addition.

Re: SURVEY - WHICH ROLEX (S) TO KEEP FOREVER? Which two are the most "collectable"?

No doubt SEA-DWELLER!

I love even more the 16610LV... Sexy piece...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah... You have to keep the SD.

You're kidding right? Name:  7585643098_fdcea2c910_b.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  181.3 KB
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

It's really a shot in the dark. The current 'collectable' trend on the SD, the LV or even the Exp may be based on recent changes in the models that have some scurrying to find what they prefer, or choose to afford, over what's currently available. Of course, the sport models are known to retain better value, if not appreciate, over other models. There you should be safe with any choice. But, when considering long term collectibility, it's really anyone's guess. I've noticed some extreme price requests for LV's that are considered 'unworn'. Some asking $10k or more. If that reflects a trend in the value of the LV, why not hold on to it for a few more years and really profit? Maybe because the demand for it is now and there may no longer be such a demand in the future. When looking vintage, did anyone predict the future value of many of the iconic Submariners that are today considered rarities? You may have just as much luck 50 years down the road with a standard Sub. Who knows. Best road to happiness, keep what you prefer.

I agree that you should keep the SD and the Exp if you can't have all three. The SD and LV are similar enough where I think the Exp would give you a better diversity in looks. If you can afford it though, I don't think you would be too wrong in getting all three.

The way Rolex keeps raising prices, it seems like you will still be able to sell any of the three for about what you paid for it in a few years and this way you get to enjoy it for awhile and are not out anything (or at least much) should you decide to get rid of it in the end.

Deacon

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I currently have a Sea-Dweller 16600, Explorer II (16570 Polar), and am in the market to purchase a 16610LV (M series) very soon from a friend of a friend. My dilemma is this -
    if/when I get the LV, at some point in the near future, I would almost certainly have to part with one of these. For this survey, please lend me your wise input and rank the above three in order of importance based on style, "collectable" factor, if any (read, future value etc.) and whatever else you see fit. Please go on the premise that I will most likely only keep two of these. They are all in very good to mint condition. Thanks in advance as your input will help me choose and/or whether I even purchase the LV.
    I don't think any modern Rolex is collectable in the strictest sense. However, if I were going to add two new Rolex watches to my collection they would be a white face Exp2 16570, and a SD 16600. The LV watches are not even on my radar. I won't say anything bad about them, but I can think of about 10,000 watches I would rather have.
    My arms!
    My corduroy pant!

Thread Information