Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dakota2cSRT4

Thread: Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stroud, UK
    Posts
    222

    Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

    Dear All,

    Just taken apart a Rolex 6480 with the calibre 1210 movement. I was quite surprised when I opened the watch, as I looks to me like it was in a fire and has some temperature damage. I'd say not more than 140 - 150C, but still quite a bit!

    I would be interested how others interpret the pictures. Please follow the link and let me know what you think.

    Teardown + Service: Rolex 6480 Oyster calibre 1210 | Watch Guy

    Thanks,

    Christian
    Name:  IMG_6736-small.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  144.0 KB

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    22,213

    Re: Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

    Be interesting to know the circumstances that led to the damage.

    It's amazing to me that something with such strict tolerances and which looks as delicate as a mechanical watch will still perform well despite some pretty serious abuse.

    Jeannie

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stroud, UK
    Posts
    222

    Re: Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

    Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    Be interesting to know the circumstances that led to the damage.

    It's amazing to me that something with such strict tolerances and which looks as delicate as a mechanical watch will still perform well despite some pretty serious abuse.

    Jeannie
    Unfortunately, the watch was bought by my client at auction, so we will probably never find out what happened to it.

    Any hints for dial restoration? I am unfortunately a movement only guy.

    Christian

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    22,213

    Re: Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

    Quote Originally Posted by wilderbeest View Post
    Any hints for dial restoration? I am unfortunately a movement only guy.
    No clue. I actually don't think the dial is that bad. Obviously your client's wishes are to restore it, but personally I'd be tempted to leave it as is. It doesn't affect the readability too much nor does it impact the watch's function. I kind of consider it a hard-earned war wound.

    Jeannie

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stroud, UK
    Posts
    222

    Re: Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

    Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    No clue. I actually don't think the dial is that bad. Obviously your client's wishes are to restore it, but personally I'd be tempted to leave it as is. It doesn't affect the readability too much nor does it impact the watch's function. I kind of consider it a hard-earned war wound.

    Jeannie
    A good point. The whole watch should probably reflect its unique history. Like a sympathetic restoration of an old house.

  7. #6
    Member Dakota2cSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    818

    Re: Teardown Rolex 6480 with temperature damage

    This was an incredible read, thank you so much for posting it. From the pictures, you make it look so easy... pssshhh, I could do that!
    Tick Toc likes this.
    If only I had more arms... and deeper pockets!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •