WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Technical Question for the experts... Tudor MT5612 vs Rolex 3235

14K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  koolpep 
#1 ·
I was comparing the 2 latest deep divers from Tudor and Rolex, the Pelagos vs the Seadweller 4000 (SD43).

Looking at the movements the specs are somewhat similar. Both have proprietary in house movements, 70 hour power reserve, free sprung balance with new technology hairsprings, etc.

One aspect I'm not sure about how they compare is the shock absorption systems they use. Here's a picture of the movements with their balance jewels w/shock absorbers blown up below them.

Rolex is using the Parashock, but can anyone tell me what shock absorber the Tudor is using? It looks like it is an Incabloc, could that be right?

Anyone know how they compare?

See less See more
#2 ·
To me it certainly looks like Incabloc, a well tried and proven shock absorbtion system. The 3235 use Rolex' inhouse Paraflex actually.

The ols ETA based Tudor movements used Kif, which I think could be slightly better, as used on the 3135.

Also of interest is to compare the mechanical properties (strength, fracture, corrosion resistance, temperature coefficients etc.) of the Silicon hairpring in the 5612 movement against the Parachrom Blue (?) 3235 hairspring.

Although the movements seems to have 'similar' architecure, it is also very interesting to note that the 5612 movement is both thicker and has a much larger diameter. I would assume that this makes it more sturdy. Also, for the same tolerance (let us say 0.005mm), the larger component, will have a much smaller 'error', which I like.

Barring the fact that it is not finely decorated, which it does not need to be in a dive watch, I think the Tudor 5612 is really a steal at the price.

I hope a watchmaker can chip in on the topic.

#4 ·
There should be another forum here for watchmaking and other technical matters
There is a dedicated watchmaking forum on WUS - they don't discuss "the market" so you've probably never seen it.

this one is primarily for covering brand discussions and buying and selling.
It really isn't - you just impose your narrow interests that way.

#8 · (Edited)
There are many threads on the Rolex forum of WUS that I tend to politely ignore, or maybe follow but not comment. Although my knowledge of movements could be placed in a thimble, I am curious regarding a comparative analysis between Rolex and Tudor movements, although any significant technical data will go over my head. One of the nice features of WUS is the broad array of topics presented here. My only comment is IMHO it is both inappropriate and rude to make condescending and rude comments directed at any specific individual member by another.

ADDENDUM: For some reason my post was added underneath @hidden by leaves. However, it was my intention for my post to stand alone, and I was not referencing @hidden by leaves with what I posted above. I had no one specifically in mind regarding what I said but was making a plea for civility by all.

#13 ·
Hi!

Just a few sources to read (not directly related to your question):

How the Breitling B01 and Rolex 3135 compare....: How About the Breitling B01 Movement, Look at the Breitling Self-produced B01 Movement ? Breitling Timepiece News

It seems to me that there is some canoodling going on behind the scenes with Breitling, Tudor/Rolex, Chanel (and FP Journe) all somehow collaborating - like a unofficial collab to counter the market might of the heavy weights Swatch Group, Richemont and LVMH....
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/chanel-takes-stake-kenissi-manufacture-ties-rolex/

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/01/chanel-kenissi-tudor-rolex.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.