WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Thoughts on oysterquartz?

5K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  1stiski 
#1 ·
What is your take on the oysterquartz, curious to hear your opinions. I like the design and thinking of picking one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I owned one about 10 years ago. Bought it on ebay, sent it off to the RSC and had a new dial and handset installed. Kept it for another 3 years wearing it in rotation (at the time, I had 4 Rolex models and 4 Tudor models).

It's certainly different and for those who watch what others wear on their wrist it piques interest. If you wear it at night while sleeping, you're likely to be kept awake from the movement ticking sound (it's loud). If you send it to an RSC for battery change (I got about 18 months in battery life), they'll do it for free (you'll pay shipping to them) and they'll adjust it each time, gratis. When they decide it needs a full service, they'll decline the free battery change and you'll find (or at least I did) that the service cost is higher than for a mechanical model.

People on these forums for the past decade keep insisting the model will skyrocket in value as only a limited number were made, but prices on the resale market seem to have held fairly stable. The better looking models don't seem to rise or fall much in asking price.

The Oysterquartz has a loyal but tiny following. The watch is a 'real' Rolex with a 'different' design. My opinion is that it's not going to be revived by Rolex, parts will be available for at least another 20 years, it's not a good investment and it keeps very good time.

Like people here who covet a Milgauss or Skydweller, or new Airking, or those who fancy the newer Tudor Ranger, those who want something most other don't will hold up the market. But will those owner's who now own the Oysterquartz be able to retire on the resale? Probably, not.

#5 ·
Quartz is looked down upon by most of the WIS community.

I, however, wish there were more quartz offerings. I don’t enjoy having to set my watch when it runs down, worrying about it running down, and having to make due with mechanical watch accuracy.

Oyster quartz was pretty cool what with its own design - all angular.

#6 ·
What is your take on the oysterquartz, curious to hear your opinions. I like the design and thinking of picking one up.
Buy it since you said that you like the design of the Oysterquartz. Not sure what other forms of opinions do you want from us? Will you not buy it if all of us say it's ugly? Beauty in the eyes of the beholder. Or will you not buy it if someone says it won't hold it's value or is expensive to service/maintain?

#11 ·
Buy it since you said that you like the design of the Oysterquartz. Not sure what other forms of opinions do you want from us? Will you not buy it if all of us say it's ugly?
This is normal internet forum behaviour!

Often people ask what should they buy, after they've bought it. They seek validation. All you need to know are the costs of servicing and retention. Everything else is a completely personal choice.

#9 ·
Strangely, some watch 'snobs' dismiss quartz watches. :-s
There are plenty of positives & negatives for mechanical & quartz. Nothing wrong with either, buy what you like.
I know the Oysterquartz was a well respected, high quality quartz movement. (Also thermo compensated, if I remember correctly)
I have a Grand Seiko quartz, it terms of accuracy & durability/robustness, it'll beat a mechanical every time.
Plenty of room in my life for quartz & mechanical and I'm glad it doesn't have to be either/or with me. I get the best of both worlds! |>
So, don't dismiss quartz, if you like it, go for it. ;-)

#10 ·
Like others said, it has to please you, not someone else. As far as it being “just” a datejust with quartz movement, I beg to differ. Integrated bracelet, not like other datejusts. And a very high end quartz movement to boot. And for Pete’s sake, does everyone buy watches based on their future resale potential only? Can we buy just because we like them?
If you like it, buy it. Life is short and you have to “do you” 👍

#13 ·
Well my opinion is I don’t care for them.. but I’m not considering purchasing one! Do your research, try one on if you still want it by all means get one!

Reactions: Rotaz
#15 ·
Check with RSC if they still service these movements (if parts are still available). An independent shop i know (with rolex parts account) have stopped accepting these watches in for fixing. They claim rolex has stopped supplying/manufacturing the electronic parts.

I think this sums it up. Servicing seems like a challenge as time goes by.

#18 ·
I like them. They're quirky, a bit different, and technologically interesting. After owning 60+ mechanicals through almost 20 years, I bought my first quartz piece last year. In a rotation of mechanicals, there's something nice about being able to just pick 1 up and go without having to set the date and time.

#19 ·

The people who aren't fans usually hate on it bc of the non-mechanical movement. But I think with the new GS hype and its many quartz offerings, the market is slightly more accepting.

Prices look very stable so if you decide on trading out of it after some time you won't lose much. I don't think you should look at watches as investments anyway, the transaction cost for market setting prices are 25%+ .

Best of luck on acquiring one.

#20 ·
And still not a single pic so i've borrowed one. I really like the clean mk1 dial.
Back in the late 70's I remember no one wanted them because if you went quartz, at the time the latest thing, it had to be push button red led. Later on Seiko I recall made the LCD's which changed everything so nobody wanted quartz analogue. Very collectable now but for reliability Seiko got it sorted with their 7c46. My only quartz is my Sbbn015 Tuna with this movement.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Silver

#24 ·
I have one. It holds its value, but it's not an investment. My father in law gave it to me and I keep it to honor him. He ate shoes to survive as a teenager. The Oysterquartz was his reward to himself for bringing prosperity to his family, sending his children to college, and generally being an excellent example of humanity at its best.

It also looks amazing.

#27 ·
Love the design and for the price point you really cant go wrong. I'd take an Oyster Quartz over a Grand Seiko any day. Nothing to do with the finishing, just character.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.