WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tried the Cape Cod cloth on my Bluesy TT..

7K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ronsetoe 
#1 ·
I know many people say it's fine to get scratches on your watch, but me personally I hate them. I want my beloved Bluesy, and only luxury watch in my collection that I wear only on occasions, to look spanking new every time I wear it. Which is why I just couldn't live with scratches that appeared on mine after I wore it only twice! The edge of the clasp, on the gold area, was scratched pretty well, even though I knew I never rested or knocked it against anything. This must have happened from my shirt cuff..

Anyway after much reading and scaremongering I decided to go ahead with the cape cod polish. Results speak for themselves I think:

Metal
Buckle Fashion accessory Metal Strap Material property

If the light hits it at just the correct angle, the polish seems to have left tiny swirls on the gold. But these really can only be seen under bright light, hitting the right direction, and looking very closely at it. I'm not sure if this happened during the polishing, or when I washed and dried it with microfibre cloth. But I'm as picky as they get and honestly this doesn't bother me, it looks so much improved. All scratches are gone, apart from a slightly deeper one towards one end of the clasp. I tried to get rid of this on a second attempt but it wouldn't go, and I didn't want to polish more so I left it.

So steps were:

Clean watch with soapy water and dry.
Properly mask off brushed areas and all areas not to be polished.
Cut off manageable piece of cape cod cloth and with light pressure, give even swipes back and forth and occasionally go in circles.
Keep doing with a close eye on scratches. I probably polished for about 4 minutes first, and then another 3 minutes to try get rid of the big scratch.
When you want to have a good look, take the tape off, and wash away the polish with warm soapy water and cloth, then dry and examine. The cape cod instructions say to just wipe the polish off until dry, but even while drying, residue was still coming off the metal so as I did not want to polish further I washed it all off with soapy water.

I'm very happy with the result. And this is on Gold.

See less See more
#2 ·
Absolutely nothing wrong with looking after any of your prized possessions.
These watches are expensive to buy, very sought after & valuable, it's NOT strange to me, that people look after them!

If someone treats their Rolex like a 'beater', that's fine too, it's their watch.

No right or wrong, just what suits the individual. ;-)

#3 ·
Amazing... But better would be with a wristshot pic, we're not here for the scratches but for the watches :)

I know many people say it's fine to get scratches on your watch, but me personally I hate them. I want my beloved Bluesy, and only luxury watch in my collection that I wear only on occasions, to look spanking new every time I wear it. Which is why I just couldn't live with scratches that appeared on mine after I wore it only twice! The edge of the clasp, on the gold area, was scratched pretty well, even though I knew I never rested or knocked it against anything. This must have happened from my shirt cuff..

Anyway after much reading and scaremongering I decided to go ahead with the cape cod polish. Results speak for themselves I think:

View attachment 14346253 View attachment 14346251

If the light hits it at just the correct angle, the polish seems to have left tiny swirls on the gold. But these really can only be seen under bright light, hitting the right direction, and looking very closely at it. I'm not sure if this happened during the polishing, or when I washed and dried it with microfibre cloth. But I'm as picky as they get and honestly this doesn't bother me, it looks so much improved. All scratches are gone, apart from a slightly deeper one towards one end of the clasp. I tried to get rid of this on a second attempt but it wouldn't go, and I didn't want to polish more so I left it.

So steps were:

Clean watch with soapy water and dry.
Properly mask off brushed areas and all areas not to be polished.
Cut off manageable piece of cape cod cloth and with light pressure, give even swipes back and forth and occasionally go in circles.
Keep doing with a close eye on scratches. I probably polished for about 4 minutes first, and then another 3 minutes to try get rid of the big scratch.
When you want to have a good look, take the tape off, and wash away the polish with warm soapy water and cloth, then dry and examine. The cape cod instructions say to just wipe the polish off until dry, but even while drying, residue was still coming off the metal so as I did not want to polish further I washed it all off with soapy water.

I'm very happy with the result. And this is on Gold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.