Tried on a Rolex for the first time today
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tried on a Rolex for the first time today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tried on a Rolex for the first time today

I had the opportunity to look and try on a few Rolexes today. Previously, I looked at a completely iced out Datejust from the factory so this was my first opportunity to look at more normal pieces (therefore being my ďfirstĒ time). Here are my thoughts:

I was able to examine a Sea Dweller and Submariner (from 2000) and a Datejust (from 1992 I believe). Although Iím a fan of divers watches, the Submariner really didnít do much for me. Maybe it was the cyclops, it just didnít look as clean as the Sea Dweller. The cyclops seemed to fit the Datejust far better than it fit the Submariner.

What surprised me the most was that each watch felt a lot lighter than I thought they would. Iíve been wearing my Tag Heuer Aquaracer for a few weeks now and it felt way heavier than any of the Rolexes I handled. This might be because the watches are older, but I honestly thought theyíd feel a little more ďsolidĒ and ďchunkyĒ. Maybe the newer watches feel more how Iíd expect them to.

On the wrist, I found both the Sea Dweller and Datejust to be incredibly comfortable. The Datejust, despite the 36mm size felt like it was at home on my wrist. Thereís just something about that watch that just works. The jubilee bracelet was nice to admire and it seemed to form very well to my wrist. To my surprise all the watches I tried on fit perfectly despite the fact that they were all on bracelets. I havenít measured my wrist size but I guess Iím just about average since they all fit so well.

The Sea Dweller was definitely more at home on my wrist than the Submariner. Due to the fact that the watch was a bit larger, it seemed to fit better. Looking at pictures of both and actually being able to handle them are entirely different experiences. For example, Iíve never been a big fan of the clasp styling on this generation of Subs and Sea Dwellers but in real life it looks better than I though it would. Still, the biggest surprise was the weight. I genuinely thought these watches would have a lot more heft than they did. Maybe my Tag is just really heavy, who knows.

Overall though, it was great to be able to closely look at some Rolexes for the first time. Itís kind of crazy to think Iíve had my hands on APs and Richard Milles before a Rolex, but I definitely see the appeal of the Datejust and moreso the Sea Dweller (wherein I previously thought Iíd like the Submariner more).

Iíll be checking out a ton of watches in the next few days, from the likes of Vacheron, Patek, and AP but Iíd also like to look at some Tudors and newer Rolex during my trip in Dubai.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I just wanted to share my experiences and couldnít find a better place to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    draperfish and thx67 like this.
    Current Collection:
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY1112
    Parnis Batman GMT
    Seiko 5 SNKA01K1
    Timex Expedition Scout
    Casio F-91WM-9ADF
    G-Shock GA100MB

Re: Tried on a Rolex for the first time today

The newer watches with the updates case definitely have more heft to them.
    Plus the modern sub and seadweller bracelets are much heavier and make the overall package feel much more robust.
    Borealis Adraga, Navale
    Citizen AQ4020-03E
    GMW-B5000D/TFC, GWF-D1000NV, MRG-G1000D
    IW378401, IW356501
    MKII x HALO Airborne, PMWF Graywater GMT
    Obris Morgan SeaStar PVD
    Oris Carl Brashear Bronze, Bronze Chrono
    VDB No Limit Bronze
    SBDX013, SBGA001
    116610LV, 116520

The 5 digits are really comfy to wear, it’s just the bracelets are rattly but don’t go off the weight as being a sign of quality, you could probably get an invicta for a pound that weighs around a pound.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clarencek View Post
    The newer watches with the updates case definitely have more heft to them.
    Plus the modern sub and seadweller bracelets are much heavier and make the overall package feel much more robust.
    Yeah I overall really liked the Sea Dweller but wished it had just a bit more heft to it. A Rolex Iíd like to own in the future for sure!

Current Collection:
    Parnis Batman GMT
    Seiko 5 SNKA01K1
    Timex Expedition Scout
    Casio F-91WM-9ADF
    G-Shock GA100MB

Quote Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
    The 5 digits are really comfy to wear, itís just the bracelets are rattly but donít go off the weight as being a sign of quality, you could probably get an invicta for a pound that weighs around a pound.
    The bracelet on the Submariner had insane spacing which really cheapened the look (the flex in the bracelet was absurd). The Sea Dweller was definitely better in that regard but the jubilee on the Datejust took the cake for my favorite. I think Iíll be more than happy with an older Datejust but a newer Sea Dweller is a must for me.

Current Collection:
    Parnis Batman GMT
    Seiko 5 SNKA01K1
    Timex Expedition Scout
    Casio F-91WM-9ADF
    G-Shock GA100MB

Wide spacing, rattly bracelet, chintzy feel ... chalk it up to being a circa 2000 watch but you now know you're likely not into vintage watches ... which are older and crappier feeling. Compare it to test driving a 2000 Porsche 911, 2000 Corvette or 2000 F150 pickup.

Try the 6 digit Sea Dweller or Deepsea Sea Dweller if you prefer heft and the Sea Dweller range. They also have the improved glidelock bracelet which is a massive improvement on the previous bracelets on the 5 digit Sea Dweller models.

Report back if you get a chance to try one on.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
    Try the 6 digit Sea Dweller or Deepsea Sea Dweller if you prefer heft and the Sea Dweller range. They also have the improved glidelock bracelet which is a massive improvement on the previous bracelets on the 5 digit Sea Dweller models.

Report back if you get a chance to try one on.
    Most probably going tomorrow! Although I do wanna stop at AP and Patek first because, well, AP and Patek. Iíll post pictures whenever I try on any Rolexes/Tudors though!

TJ Boogie likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Parnis Batman GMT
    Seiko 5 SNKA01K1
    Timex Expedition Scout
    Casio F-91WM-9ADF
    G-Shock GA100MB

Good luck with finding a “Newer “ model sports Rolex, although I hear there are now display only models in some AD’s.

On a personal note i find the newer maxi cases to be out of proportion and fat looking, but that’s just me.

Pick up a slim lug Seadweller and you will have the cream of the sports Rolex crop.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

As a watch enthusiast who has owned a few watches I have to say that a vintage datejust is a must have for anyone looking for an affordable Rolex unless you have the money to drop on a newer Submariner or other such models.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information