WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor BB 58

15K views 145 replies 56 participants last post by  Michael Day 
#1 ·
How hard is it actually to get this piece ? My AD keeps giving me the song and dance about not seeing any inventory for months.

I end up buying some jewelry for the wife and get a call a week later that one came in on nato....

Could it have been great timing or was I victim to the AD circus ?

#2 ·
Ha ha ha. I can never imagine a Tudor BB58 a hard piece to find. May be a week or two wait at the max. Now as far as you or your AD is concerned... How does it matter? You have a happy wife and you have the watch as well.

#13 ·
I would like to think its NOT the AD giving you the run around. I know for a fact that Rolex/Tudor are difficult to deal with on all levels, especially inventory and it seems like they get a lucky dip box that turns up every now and then. Only then do they find out what their allocation is. Theyre not able to order like they would Breitling, Omega, Tag and practically any other brand or product which is what makes buying a Rolex and more recently Tudor such a pain, almost to the point of it being tiresome. Having said that ive heard the Omega Seamaster isnt that easy to get if you want an out of stock model. Im currently on the look out for a Rolex and im closer to giving up (please, no one mention grey sellers, I know) as there are so many other great watches out there that I can actually try on. Part of the joy of buying a new watch is sitting in the store with a tray of watches and going through them. Not being ushered to the green area where the light of a thousand Datejust dazzles you and being put through the "rolex policy chat". I dont envy the dealers for having to do this, it must be tricky explaining to a customer that may well have spent tens of thousands over the years with them that their request to spend their money is being considered. Best of luck getting the BB on bracelet. It will be worth the wait (assuming youre not still asking about it this time next year)

#16 ·
I dread going grey market. I figure I'll give it till mid November and we'll see. I mean how hard is it to give an AD 4K for a watch..

Reactions: thx67
#23 ·
Crazy stories. I’ve seen them a number of times on display in Heathrow airport. Since I picked up my BB GMT, my AD offers me 58 ever time I pop in to say hello. Can’t get the Sub I’m after though, but the 58’s are coming through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I cruise Chrono24 often enough, because we all do. A gentleman selling his BB58 said he was trying to recoup the watches price, taxes and fees. I have imagined that when if/ when I buy a watch I'll be paying the price of the watch and state tax. What other fee's at an AD would one incur?

**( This would be my first time buying from an AD)

#27 ·
I know you're not trying to go grey market, but I'd check DavidSW anyway. You can't go wrong if you go with him.

#28 ·
I got mine last year, but I was pretty lucky as well. There are stores in my area that have them in stock oddly enough.

Id wait for an example on a bracelet. You can always get a NATO from an AD. I just did that and there was no wait at all. Its much harder to source a bracelet.

Good luck and enjoy! It's as close to perfect as there is.

#30 ·
I think what we learn from this thread is some jewellery stores are just not worth your custom. I registered interest with one AD at launch and with 2 other local ADs a couple of months later (start of July 2018). One of the later ones gave me the call at the end of August 2018. I’m still waiting for the call from the other two.

#31 ·
I agree with gray market on this one.

There are many vintage watch aficionados (some of my friends included) who bought the BB58 thinking that it would wear like a vintage watch and were a little disappointed. I happen to love mine, but I know of at least a few such collectors who have been unloading their BB58s at or even a little below MSRP.

I havent checked the forums or chrono24 in a while, but I know there are some to be had out there.

Im surprised that its still so difficult to get one. It seems like more ADs have them in stock. It isnt a limited production (yet?) so it should be getting easier. I would ask around to as many ADs as you can find. Good luck!

#32 ·
I agree with gray market on this one.

There are many vintage watch aficionados (some of my friends included) who bought the BB58 thinking that it would wear like a vintage watch and were a little disappointed. I happen to love mine, but I know of at least a few such collectors who have been unloading their BB58s at or even a little below MSRP.

I havent checked the forums or chrono24 in a while, but I know there are some to be had out there.

Im surprised that its still so difficult to get one. It seems like more ADs have them in stock. It isnt a limited production (yet?) so it should be getting easier. I would ask around to as many ADs as you can find. Good luck!
Can you recommend some other vintage watches to scratch that vintage itch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Sure thing

The BB58 bracelet, which I love, is a modern bracelet and is, therefore, more substantial than a vintage, hollow-link bracelet. To a vintage lover, itll feel heavy. This is admittedly a minor issue, but what's life without preferences?

The gilt turned a lot of people off. Ill admit I wish they didnt put the gilt on the bezel, but I actually like it on the dial. To some it appeared contrived.

Its a well-engineered and substantial piece. Vintage is, well, more delicate. I think the absence of drilled lugs was also a bit of a turn off. I sympathize with this too, as I love changing straps and it can be quite a challenge to do so on any rolex/tudor piece.

Otherwise its the right size and the styling is vintage all the way. I think some just wanted more of a replica, when they got a modern interpretation.

Just my opinion, but that was what I gathered in talking to some of my friends.

Enjoy it!

#35 ·
Sure thing

The BB58 bracelet, which I love, is a modern bracelet and is, therefore, more substantial than a vintage, hollow-link bracelet. To a vintage lover, itll feel heavy. This is admittedly a minor issue, but what's life without preferences?

The gilt turned a lot of people off. Ill admit I wish they didnt put the gilt on the bezel, but I actually like it on the dial. To some it appeared contrived.

Its a well-engineered and substantial piece. Vintage is, well, more delicate. I think the absence of drilled lugs was also a bit of a turn off. I sympathize with this too, as I love changing straps and it can be quite a challenge to do so on any rolex/tudor piece.

Otherwise its the right size and the styling is vintage all the way. I think some just wanted more of a replica, when they got a modern interpretation.

Just my opinion, but that was what I gathered in talking to some of my friends.

Enjoy it!

#36 ·
I think others can do a better job at providing vintage itch-scratchers than I, but here goes. For vintage inspired sport watches (dress watches are an entirely other category):

Speedmaster Pro
Any of the 60th anniversary editions from omega (speedy, rail master, seamaster)
IWC ingenieur 3239 (hello Genta)
Really any of the IWC Flieglers (fauxtina or not)
Longines heritage diver
Hamilton khaki
Rado captain cook
Many oris offerings
JLC polaris memovox (though surprisingly large IMO)

Im sure many others. Do others have thoughts on this?

#37 ·
I think others can do a better job at providing vintage itch-scratchers than I, but here goes. For vintage inspired sport watches (dress watches are an entirely other category):

Speedmaster Pro
Any of the 60th anniversary editions from omega (speedy, rail master, seamaster)
IWC ingenieur 3239 (hello Genta)
Really any of the IWC Flieglers (fauxtina or not)
Longines heritage diver
Hamilton khaki
Rado captain cook
Many oris offerings
JLC polaris memovox (though surprisingly large IMO)

Im sure many others. Do others have thoughts on this?

#38 ·
18 months since launch and they have never got up to speed on the 58, looks like they don't want to.

I have heard it will be dropped and replaced with alternative 39mm sized BB's at Baselworld 2020.

In terms of vintage style modern sports/divers the Oris 65, Bremont Supermarine (new version), Speedy Pro Hesalite or FOIS, Sinn 356 or 103.

#41 ·
My local AD told me a couple of months. They said they would just throw me on the list if I really wanted one and then get me the next available one. I really doubt ADs are hiding it in the back, like many do with Rolex sports, to try to get you to buy other stuff.

I have still yet to see this watch in-person. I asked 3 ADs in my area and they all told me it is always pre-sold and they have not once put it out in the showroom. Same goes for the GMT.

That being said, I have seen all these sell for list price new recently. If you factor in tax, you are technically getting a discount so supply is certainly catching up to demand. It's been out for awhile and it's a Tudor.

#44 ·
I just got mine a couple of days ago after 2.5 months wait from Chisolm Hunter in Kingston. I actually pushed them because a distant AD in NewCastle (Rox Jewellers) told me they could source one in 2 weeks. Lo and behold, I get the call in no less than 5 days.

Chisolm Hunter has a GMT Black Bay on a NATO as well as a 58 on a NATO in the back room if this helps anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.