WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor BB58

3K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Yamidan 
#1 ·
So. I just bought a Black Bay 58 from an AD with a fabric strap. It looks phenomenal however, I could see scratches on the lugs that looks like strap changing scratches. Is it normal for something like this to happen? Keep in mind I have only tried on the watch so I doubt I damaged it.

Also, does anyone know the price of getting the bracelet and where I could purchase it?

#4 ·
Your authorized dealer can help you get it - not easy to get and there is a waiting period. But be ready to spend a fortune...

I bought my BB GMT bracelet during a sale from authenticwatches.com for $750 - cheaper than what the dealer wanted (slightly under $1,000).

Cheers!

PS: https://www.authenticwatches.com/tudor-straps-and-bracelets.html

Reactions: steinhart-fan
#6 ·
I bought mine on the fabric too. Th band doesn’t really look out of the ordinary. I ordered the bracelet through my AD and it was $850 + tax. Kind of a hard pill to swallow but I couldn’t find one anywhere else. The lug scratches do seem a bit odd to me. You bought it new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
FWIW, when I bought my 58 I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed scratches similar to what you're describing on the unit in-store. They didn't look like strap changing scratches, but there were scratches on the lugs and a few on the side of the case. I pointed this out and the guy at the AD said it wasn't right. He happened to have another unit in-stock, with all the plastic still on it, and that one passed inspection. I ended up purchasing the second unit.

#12 ·
also can't see pics. if its from another country it sounds like you're gonna have to just eat the L unless you want to ship it to exchange/return it. Which can lead to other nightmares. Maybe bring it in for a polish which is also a really bad option...

#13 ·
Those look like multiple spring bar goofs. Hard to believe the seller didn’t tape the lugs or use the proper springbar pliers. It’s on the bottom of the lugs so at least it’s unseen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#17 · (Edited)
Looks bad. Like the AD removed a bracelet.

What does the warranty card say?

It should denote if the watch originally came with a bracelet, strap or NATO.

On my first Black Bay (79220N), there's a 5 digit reference code for the bracelet.

On my second, it simply says strap.

I would imagine the BB58 is the same.

Hopefully the AD wasn't disingenuous and sold the bracelet if it came with one originally.

It would not be wise to get something like that polished btw. More bad than good can happen.

Good luck

#22 ·
I would be careful about sending it to Rolex service centre. They can be heavy handed with their polishing. Take it to your local AD and explain you bought it on holiday. Maybe tell them your wife/partner bought it as a surprise for you so they dont get huffy about not buying from them. They may take care of it for you. I couldnt see the scratches but it sounds like they were switching straps around in the store and did a bad job. Completely unacceptable though as they should have proper spring bar pliers.

#26 ·
Two ways to looks at this. The first is that the scratches are, of course, unacceptable on a new watch like this. If it bothers you, then I would be contacting the AD who sold it to you, over the phone since you can't go in person. Pictures are easily emailed. Watches can be shipped (although watch out for import duties!).

The second way to look at this is that, if you're going to wear the watch regularly, then scratches and dings will happen anyway. Since you didn't notice these at the time of purchase, they can't be that obvious.

Given the difficulty of fixing this with an AD in another country, I would try and convince myself of the second viewpoint. However, I know it's not easy to unsee these things, and some people are more bothered by them than others.

#28 ·
Totally agree. Earlier in the thread I mentioned that the BB58 I almost bought had similar scratches to the one OP has described and shown pictures of. I noticed them at the last minute, and the dealer had a different clean one in stock, so I purchased that instead.

Now, several months later, I've dropped by 58 on concrete (oops), and it has a number of surface case scratches from everyday wear. I don't blame OP for being upset, but I agree with you that the second viewpoint is probably the way to go. The first scratch hurts (especially if it came with scratches from someone else instead of you), but in due time the case will have wear anyways. Just part of owning a stainless watch!

#30 ·
It seems to me like it originally came with a bracelet that was later changed by a careless person for a strap. Understandable as the bracelets are in short supply and highly sought after so my guess would be someone walked in and ordered one for a premium. Contact your dealer and explain the situation, hopefully they come up with a solution

#31 ·
You realize the thread is nearly two years old, right? Let's hope he's got it sorted by this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.