WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor BB58 Accuracy

18K views 76 replies 28 participants last post by  MJM 
#1 ·
Currently my watch is running at +5 seconds per day when it's facing dial up or crown up. I'm going to try other positions soon but may I know what is the accuracy of these things?

#2 ·
I've had my BB58 for 3 months now and it is running +.5 a day. But that is on wrist and some night stand (positioning) time. Meaning I lay it down in different positions to help "regulate" the time. I haven't put mine on a timegrapher yet to find out exact times in the positions. Here is what I time for other watches in my collect, if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Mine runs about 6 seconds fast per day, maybe a little more, when wearing or sitting dial up overnight. Slows down to a rate of about 1-3 seconds per day if kept crown up or down overnight, which means I can’t keep it in my watch box. Honestly disappointed with that accuracy. Even though +6 is the upper range of COSC standards, it is definitely pushing that boundary and I have much cheaper mechanical watches that keep better time.

I also noticed it died within 60 hours of taking it off last weekend, so I’m currently doing a power reserve test to see if it actually runs for the advertised 70 hours. I’ll know tomorrow, as I’m currently at the 51-hour mark.

If it falls significantly short of 70, I will be contacting the RSC for a warranty service to have both issues addressed.

#71 ·
Mine runs about 6 seconds fast per day, maybe a little more, when wearing or sitting dial up overnight. Slows down to a rate of about 1-3 seconds per day if kept crown up or down overnight, which means I can't keep it in my watch box. Honestly disappointed with that accuracy. Even though +6 is the upper range of COSC standards, it is definitely pushing that boundary and I have much cheaper mechanical watches that keep better time.

I also noticed it died within 60 hours of taking it off last weekend, so I'm currently doing a power reserve test to see if it actually runs for the advertised 70 hours. I'll know tomorrow, as I'm currently at the 51-hour mark.

If it falls significantly short of 70, I will be contacting the RSC for a warranty service to have both issues addressed.
This is why I hate watch boxes. Every watch is different and once you learn their plus/minus positions you need to be able to put them where they need to be to keep them running at their best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#8 ·
Its possible but be aware theres a good chance it will come back, fully tested and passing the tests ie within spec. Watches are regulated to be accurate in several positions to replicate daily use ie walking to work (crown down) sitting at a desk (dial up) etc etc. There was a thread somewhere in the omega forum where someone had "tested" their watch by winding it and sitting it on a table for 24 hours and several variations of. They sent it to Omega who tested it and it passed. My advice would be to test it in real life over a week and see what its like at the end of that period. You may be surprised. If its still way out then it may need a visit but I would hope it will be within spec. Also bear in mind within spec is (-2+4) is an average (i think, although that may be metas spec) so the watch may gain 5 in one day but lose 3 the following day which is where the night resting position can come into play. I havent explained that very well but I know what I mean! Just trying to save you being without your watch for a few weeks and having it returned with exactly the same performance.

#9 ·
Try an app such as WatchTracker and keep careful notes. I've asked RSC to regulate a couple of watches during warranty without problem. But if you can bring them into near perfect time by nightly positioning, that would be preferable. RSC will want to know of the watch's performance on your wrist so they can adjust to actual use. Now if you are an accuracy fanatic like me (who recently bought a Longines Conquest VHP for it's 5spy rating) then you might also want to pick up a Timegrapher.

BTW, my AD sends its watches to the Dallas RSC. They've done a good job for me. I've read less favorable reviews regarding the NY RSC.

#11 ·
To follow up on my previous response, the result of my power reserve test on a full wind was 68 hours give or take a few minutes. I’m satisfied with that. I guess when it only ran for 60 hours recently, it wasn’t on a full wind.

Also, I did a mini COSC simulation recently. Fully wound the watch at the same time every day, and kept it in the 5 different COSC test positions for 12 hours each. The duration of the test was 2.5 days, and the watch averaged +4.6 seconds per day. I’d be worried like thx67 said that if I sent it in for a warranty service for regulation, they’d tell me it was operating fine and didn’t need any adjustment, and it all would have been a waste of time.

The bright side of a fast watch is you can always just pull the crown for a few seconds until the actual time catches up to the watch. Easy adjustment.

#13 ·
To follow up on my previous response, the result of my power reserve test on a full wind was 68 hours give or take a few minutes. I'm satisfied with that. I guess when it only ran for 60 hours recently, it wasn't on a full wind.

Also, I did a mini COSC simulation recently. Fully wound the watch at the same time every day, and kept it in the 5 different COSC test positions for 12 hours each. The duration of the test was 2.5 days, and the watch averaged +4.6 seconds per day. I'd be worried like thx67 said that if I sent it in for a warranty service for regulation, they'd tell me it was operating fine and didn't need any adjustment, and it all would have been a waste of time.

The bright side of a fast watch is you can always just pull the crown for a few seconds until the actual time catches up to the watch. Easy adjustment.
Well. Sounds like my watch is good enough to pass the COSC certification, but bad enough that it's gaining a considerable amount

#19 ·
You need to get it looked at. It likely only needs to be regulated. They can probably do this while you wait.

Mine has been running at a consistent +0.05 spd since I got it almost 6 months ago.

#33 ·
My 58 was really wild for the first few weeks. Gained about 5 to 15 seconds a day for about a week, then lost about 8 seconds a day for the next week. Kept going on like that for a month or so, gaining for several days then loosing for several days. The amount of time it gain and lost started shrinking. I let it sit for a week and resumed wearing it. Have been tracking it for 5 days and it has been consistently running at +2.5 to +3.5 seconds a day.

#41 ·
Just measured mine in 6 positions

Dial Up: +6.2 spd
Dial Down: +8.7 spd
Crown Up: +5.2 spd
Crown Down: +2.9 spd
12 Up: +3.3 spd
6 Up: +5.4 spd

I think I will hold off from sending it to RSC for regulating because I’m not too keen on regulating a new watch. I’ll track it over the next couple of months and see if it improves

#44 ·
I have 3 Tudors, the GMT, Chrono and a vintage Prince Date Chrono that was recently serviced.

The “new” Tudors run at 0.5spd and 1spd the services Chrono with the 7750 movement runs 2.5spd when worn....

#46 ·
So why be upset over it? Take it back for setting. It's not running at Tudor standards and you can see from the posts so far that this is a highly regarded watch from a market with high standards. The issue is never when something goes wrong because things always go wrong. The issue is what will Tudor do when things go wrong and generally I've only read good things.

#48 ·
So why be upset over it? Take it back for setting. It's not running at Tudor standards and you can see from the posts so far that this is a highly regarded watch from a market with high standards. The issue is never when something goes wrong because things always go wrong. The issue is what will Tudor do when things go wrong and generally I've only read good things.

Just bummed because I did not expect a new watch to be like this. Either way, is it fine to regulate a new watch or must I do it after 'breaking in' the movement?

#53 ·
Now I'm wondering if I should just bear with it for a couple of months and see if there's any improvement.

My question is:
- does such movement 'breaks in' after a period of time?
- is it okay to regulate a new watch?
I think you should send it in for regulation. Nothing wrong with that.

I have an Omega Railmaster 8806 regulated as it was running slow and Omega fixed it up. Tudor would probably do the same.

#56 ·
My watch was about -0.5 to 0.8 sec / day and after sending to RSC for a misaligned bezel it came back with +2 to +5 sec / day. Anyone else with this issue? Yeah within spec i know but I just don't understand how its much faster. For a misaligned bezel they don't have to open the watch.

#57 ·
The spec for the BB58 is: -2/+4 seconds per day according to Tudor.

If it isn't and you are not happy - I would send it in for regulation.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.