WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor black bay GMT: minute and hour hand misalignment

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  miggy8822 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

i posted this on a few older threads earlier, but i figured that it would be more efficient to just make a new thread on it.
just wanted to get everyones two cents.

i was in the market to purchase my first luxury watch. i chanced upon a black bay gmt at an AD here in vancouver. they said been sitting there for about a week and the only reason it hasnt been sold is because it is on the nato strap.

anyways, bought the watch, took it home but noticed that the hands were severely misaligned (my bad for not seeing it originally)

to be specific, when the gmt and hour hands are positioned at any given hour mark, the minute hand is still at the 7 o clock position.
when the minute hand is lined up to the 12 position, the hour hand is about quarter way past the corresponding hour mark

they offered me to either wait for a new piece (3-6 months) or to have it sent to toronto for readjustment

but to be honest im thinking of a refund. plus i kinda lost the peace of mind thinking that something else might go wrong/be wrong with it down the line

What do you guys think? which route would be best?

p.s. sorry no pics, already left the watch back at ad. i will try to look fro photos from my phone that accurately describes the issue. will post as soon as i find

See less See more
#7 ·
Realignment of hands is a reletively common issue and very easy to fix. It is also no indication that it will happen again out anything else is wrong. I had the GMT hand on my Breitling done when it was still new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i am surprised though that tudor qc did not catch on to this before shipping out to AD

#4 ·
Thanks for the response

yes, the ad promised me two weeks. the only reason i considered it is it was 1) will be done locally (doesnt have to ship out and in to the country) 2) the relatively short turnaround

if it exceeds that, definitely gonna go the other way. considering picking up a logines dolcevita instead, plus use the extra money for a fender guitar :p

#6 ·
they offered me to either wait for a new piece (3-6 months) or to have it sent to toronto for readjustment

but to be honest im thinking of a refund. plus i kinda lost the peace of mind thinking that something else might go wrong/be wrong with it down the line
Personally I'd probably wait for a new piece. If I have had the watch longer I'd choose to send it back to RSC but since you just got it that's the route I'd go.

As for refund, any mechanical watch would/could develop issues down the road of ownership. It is after all, a machine put together mostly by hand. I had to return my 216570 to RSC for a service when it was only a couple months old as the calendar would stick half way during date change. Have been performing flawlessly ever since.

This is what warranty is for and the reason why buying from a respected and well-supported brand is always important for me.

brother of OoO

#8 ·
thanks for your 2 cents

yup, in terms of refund because of issues down the road... i understand that they do come up as time goes on. my concern was that i just feel after the whole scenario that the watch was in too precarious a position.... sitting on shelves for a week or two (considering tis a highly sought after watch) plus the fact that it turned out to have had the issues with the realignment.... i just feel that it sort of too good to be true running into it when i did. maybe theres a reason it was sitting on the shelves after all

#18 ·
3-6 months seems like an awfully long time to wait. I don’t think I could wait that long when they could fix it in a couple weeks. It definitely would dampen the anticipation a bit for me. I’d just send it in for repairs. It doesn’t seem like a reoccurring issue to me

#19 ·
Thank you to everyone for giving their two cents on it

Just to close out the thread, the final update was that i requested for a full refund. Funny enough on the same day two 58’s came in, one on a nato the other on a leather band.

Passed on them both.

Decided to go for an Aqua terra instead. Either the james bond skyfall version or the new remodelled 2017 black dial

Thanks again for all your inputs :)

#20 ·
Decided to go for an Aqua terra instead. Either the james bond skyfall version or the new remodelled 2017 black dial

Thanks again for all your inputs :)
I'd have done the same. I believe that the Tudor manufacturing process, or QC clearly is not in the same league as it's big brother. The Omega will be a lifetime watch. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.