WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor discount from AD: mission impossible?

5K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  SLWoodster 
#1 ·
My impression talking with various UK-based ADs is that they seemed to be very reluctant to offer discount. "Company policy of Rolex/Tudor" they said. I am thus curious if anyone has actually secured any discounts when buying a Tudor watch, especially from the much sought-after BB series?

#2 ·
Even Tudor is selling like hot cakes, or certain models at least. I don’t know if it really is Rolex/Tudor policy—which I doubt—but why would they give a discount to something they can sell full price fairly easily?

#6 ·
5-10% off the full Recommended Retail Price of Tudor Watches is fairly easy to obtain.

#8 ·
I got my Tudor BBC a year and half ago. When I first asked about the price they were offering -15%. I did not commit myself to buy it. About two months later when I had decided to ge the watch they were not giving discounts anymore, but after I mentioned the earlier discussion they came down with about 8 %. Had to wait for about two months for it.

Yes really, if there is a waiting list why give discounts? I would not. A few months ago I asked about the new P01 diver: no discounts. Looks like there is already a list...

#11 ·
No proof here, but soon enough, Tudor AD's will probably decline discounts. I agree asking for discounts is annoying and i'd rather a brand makes people pay MSRP (a sensible one that is).
What perception do you have when you go in an AD, see a watch, list price 8800$ + tx at 15%, AD says I'll do it for 7500 all in, so tax paid by AD, without you saying ANYTHING.
Won't say what brand it is, but does not give you confidence in resale prices.

#15 ·
Discounts are really a reduction in the profit margin of the AD.

The manufacturer; be it Rolex or Tudor, sells the watch at a price to the AD and publishes a MSRP to level the playing field for all ADs.

It is up to an AD to offer concessions to a good customer or not. We have been trained to ask for a special price or a discount for watches.

#16 ·
Bought a black Pelagos a little less than a year ago and got a 15% discount but ended up selling it a few months after I bought it. Decided on picking up a blue Pelagos mid June and went back to my AD and was told we are no longer discounting Tudor. Went in to almost every AD in Toronto and was told the same thing, absolutely no discounts on SS Tudor watches.

Ended up picking up another used black one used on the forums and saved a ton. I ended up selling it about a month later. No more Pelagos for me.

#18 ·
My local AD just had a 15-20% off sale for all in-stock Tudors. This includes most Black Bay models (all except the 58 and GMT), Pelagos, etc. so it’s definitely possible.

This was about two weeks ago or so.

It’s an AD-by-AD thing, though. Not all will.

Reactions: CollectorS
#20 ·
In London UK when looking to buy a new blue pelagos was offered 10% off with no trouble from Ernst Jones in the city. More recently in Brent Cross, North London, got 15% off my wife’s Black Bay 32 quite easily in Ernst Jones too. Fraser hart offered 10% off.

I’d say on everything except the 58 or GMT discounts in the UK should be easy to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
DATELINE: DENVER, CO: I picked up my BB Blue 79220 for ~9% off (I should have suggested a lower price than I did). Grant that the in-house version had just been released so they were probably eager to move the ETA 2824 but, the short answer is: "No, not mission impossible (with caveats).

Reactions: CollectorS
#22 ·
I frequent the same AD when I vacation in Greece. I have been buying from him every year for the past five. I emailed him two weeks ago and let him know of my travels, he responded that he would have something good for me. Last Sunday when we dropped in he went in back and pulled out the Tudor GMT , not super rare, but still kind of hard to get. My DW was looking at the bb 36 in navy, we bought the black for her last year at the same AD.
We ended up purchasing both, the GMT was full retail and he gave us 20% off the bb navy 36. As others have stated it depends on the watch but the relationship helps as well. We have been in Sifnos since Monday and this afternoon I will get some pics of the GMT in the wild at the beach. Doubt the DW will understand if I tell her I need pics of your watch..she will call me a geek and go on about her holiday.

#24 ·
The AD's I know decreased the discount, but they still give something around 5-7%; also on less hot Tudors, they can give you more.

#25 ·
Possibly an off topic comment - but what’s the general consensus on asking for a discount.

When I walk into an AD and ask for a specific watch, I try it on...do the “ooohs and ahhhs” and then I look at the sales staff, I catch their eye and I ask them for their price.

If I’m happy to pay, I do - and walk with the watch.

Am I doing it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Possibly an off topic comment - but what's the general consensus on asking for a discount.

When I walk into an AD and ask for a specific watch, I try it on...do the "ooohs and ahhhs" and then I look at the sales staff, I catch their eye and I ask them for their price.

If I'm happy to pay, I do - and walk with the watch.

Am I doing it right?
Yes, of course you are.

Your job is to ask for the most discount before feeling embarrassed and pay the least possible.

The Sales Assistant's job is to give you the least discount possible so as to maximise the profits and/or commission.

It's a tug of war. You win if the model is not in demand, you lose if it is.

That is the way it is.

#27 ·
Tudor are definitely harder to get discounts on nowadays in the UK. Depends on the model of course. The 36, heritage chrono, fast rider are readily discounted but they're really turning the screws on anything in house. Especially the BB range. I have a great relationship with my AD and he's always out of the gate with a deal without me asking as he KNOWS I'm going to push him so it makes it easier for both of us. With my 1st gen BB it was an ok discount but not great. A couple of years later with my Pelagos it was almost a token gesture. So you should get SOMETHING of any Tudor but it also depends on their stock levels and your relationship with the AD. I suppose at least you know the resale isn't going to tumble if there aren't any decent discounts around. Best of luck sourcing your new watch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.