Tudor GMT accuracy fluctuation?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tudor GMT accuracy fluctuation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Tudor GMT accuracy fluctuation?

Hi everyone, longtime lurker here, I appreciate the education you all continue to give me. I hope you and families/friends are all staying safe.

I have a question about my Tudor BB GMT, purchased in July 2019. Since the very beginning it has run perfectly, around -0.1spd, at worst once registering at -1.2spd (just occasional tracking with iOS app WatchTracker). A true joy to me. It's run so well that I didn't bother tracking it for months now, but in the last few weeks, even at a glance, I could tell it was way off the MacOS and iOS atomic clocks. Started tracking it again: having reset to atomic time, in the last 3 days it's been averaging a surprising -11.9spd. Even just over four hours yesterday it lost 5 seconds. Any ideas about what's going on?

Such a big deviation made me think about what might have changed recently. No bumps or knocks at all, I'm mostly working at my desk every day. I treat this watch very carefully: it has no scratches at all. I've pretty much worn it every day since buying it, although about a week + half ago, I didn't wear it for just over 24hrs and it wound down. Power reserve doesn't seem to get anywhere near 72hrs for me. (That's maybe a secondary question I have: am I just not active enough each day to get it to the max 72hr PR?) It was after winding and starting it up again that I noticed the loss in accuracy.

Other recent change: bought a Wolf watch roll case (Blake), to also house my JDM Automatic Seiko (SARY055) and my vintage Quartz Seiko SQ 4004. Previously I always stored the GMT dial up on its own in a red Omega travel watch case (the kind with black foam inside that Omega uses for repairs: oddly the AD I bought my Tudor from gave it to me for storage of the new watch as I was travelling at the time). It's also usually dial up in the Wolf roll, but given the roll, the dial might have been facing more forward or backward than straight upright in the Omega case.

As you can see, grasping at straws to think what might have affected the watch. I thought of magnetisation (but would usually be more dramatic, and more likely make the watch fast, not slow, from what I've read?). I wondered if being housed near the Quartz watch with its battery might have done something? (In the Wolf I store them Seiko Quartz | Seiko Automatic | Tudor GMT).

Eager to hear, and grateful for, any thoughts as to what might be going on. Obviously can't stop by a local AD to have them check it right now. Sorry for my long-winded post here!

Re: Tudor GMT accuracy fluctuation?

My suggestion, give it 60 turns to wind up the mainspring and subsequently top up with ~20 turns daily and time it for a week.

Losing 5 seconds within a few hours is way out.
    Asynchronous likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    My suggestion, give it 60 turns to wind up the mainspring and subsequently top up with ~20 turns daily and time it for a week.

Losing 5 seconds within a few hours is way out.
    5 seconds loss is way out indeed. Thanks for this suggestion. I had actually wondered how many turns is an appropriate number for starting up a watch again (or just in general). When it wound down the other week, it needed about 40 turns to get running again. Is there a limit to what is considered “too many” turns, to the point of being detrimental to the movement?

I've let it run down to see if I can somehow "reset" it or start from scratch again (no idea if that actually makes sense). So 60 turns to get it running again and then topping them up each each day. I can give it a go.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When fully wound, then worn all day, my BB GMT is freakishly accurate running spot on. The only time it deviates is when sitting unworn in the watch while the reserve is running down.
    dP
    Asynchronous likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Asynchronous View Post
    5 seconds loss is way out indeed. Thanks for this suggestion. I had actually wondered how many turns is an appropriate number for starting up a watch again (or just in general). When it wound down the other week, it needed about 40 turns to get running again. Is there a limit to what is considered “too many” turns, to the point of being detrimental to the movement?

I've let it run down to see if I can somehow "reset" it or start from scratch again (no idea if that actually makes sense). So 60 turns to get it running again and then topping them up each each day. I can give it a go.
    Given that it's got a 70+ hrs power reserve and am automatic movement you cannot overwind the mainspring. The mainspring will slip if you wind it "too much" so the movement cannot be harmed in any way.

There's really no need to let it wind down, a simple top up will suffice.
    Asynchronous likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Asynchronous View Post
    I had actually wondered how many turns is an appropriate number for starting up a watch again (or just in general). When it wound down the other week, it needed about 40 turns to get running again. Is there a limit to what is considered “too many” turns, to the point of being detrimental to the movement?
    When I bought my Tudor BBC 2 years ago the dealer started it with 40 turns saying that that was about the right amount. After stopping by itself in the watch-box my BBC (different caliber from yours) needs only a few turns to start running, no more than four-five. 40 sounds excessive and not right. What I understand is that automatics have a clutch (or whatever) to prevent them from overwinding, which is needed for the auto mechanism, which also works when manually winding them. Thus there is no backstop like there is in manually winded watches, and you can not overwind them. Of course it is not recommended to keep winding after the mainspring is fully wound, maybe 60 turns or so.
    Asynchronous likes this.

My BB GMT is also very accurate within a few seconds a week, I would suggest taking it back to the AD & get it regulated when thing are back up & running normally.
    Asynchronous likes this.
    Rolex Sub Date
    Omega Speedmaster
    Tudor BB GMT
    Bremont Supermarine S500 BL
    Seiko Kinetic Diver

Sounds like youre not giving it a proper run up at being accurate. Is it anything to do with the change to BST? I know there have been a few issues with the date on the GMT and the hour change may have revealed this issue. Ive had 2 BBs (and a few other Tudors) over the years and all of them have been perfect. I was a bit surprised to hear how many turns it took to get going though. Maybe its a GMT thing but I used to torture my Tudors by a little shake, setting the time and seeing how they performed although im very active some days. Never had a PR issue either. If anything the Tudors tend to get more than 70 hours which leads me back to not fully topping up the PR in the first place. As others have said, make sure its fully wound and wear it for a week and see how it goes. Dont wind it, leave it on a table for 2 days and then top it up. There have been a few threads where its been found thats what people have been doing to test their accuracy and theyve sent the watch back for testing and its be returned to them fully tested with no issues. Report back here with your findings if possible. Best of luck.
    Asynchronous likes this.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I have it running again and will keep an eye on it today. Will report back soon in case this is all of use to anyone in the future.

Mine is also freaky accurate, but that goes for all of my in house BB’s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information