WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor Golfing Question

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Bizcut1 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have gotten to the point i wear my Black Bay about 75% of the time and my Oris 65 the rest. Usually i have a quartz in my collection but not anymore. I am going golfing later in the week and a little iffy wearing my Tudor BB. Anyone know if this will be okay to wear or will it damage it?

Thanks in advance

#6 ·
I don't wear mine - if your swing speed is pretty high why would you subject a finely tuned movement to those kind of forces and vibrations when you are connecting with the ball ?

Chances are it wont be affected by the odd game, but over the long term who knows? Maybe I'm paranoid but for me it's just not worth finding out!

#13 ·
yes, you're being entirely paranoid. A mechanical watch movement can typically withstand forces of 5,000Gs, I'm going out on a limb here and assuming a golf swing is well within that tolerance. I used to wear my Sub while mountain biking, which is probably orders of magnitude more G forces than a golf swing and it never changed its accuracy (or lack thereof) as a result of it. Take a look around on a golf course and you'll see plenty of golfers wearing wristwatches.

#17 ·
If you were looking for an ostentatious golf-specific watch, Franck Muller has you covered with their Backswing model, which includes a stroke-counter complication (the green button advances the stroke count; the orange resets it).

Photo from the internet:

View attachment 14444685
Hahaha best post of the day.
If i was forced to get a frank muller, i could probably accept that one!

#9 ·
If you are worried about the shock transmitted to your Watch movement from your golfing action, be informed that a Submariner 5512 never lost its accuracy while subbmitted to numerous hours of hydraulic impact wrench operation on underwater piping connections with bolt size ranging from 3/4 to 1 1/2 bolts.

#11 ·
Thanks all for the input. Obviously a little paranoid damaging it. I have always golfed with the quartz watches in my collection but now i now have none and have a hard time not wearing a watch ha.

#14 ·
I've golfed, by accident, with my BB GMT, and a few other mechanical watches, and have never had an issue. I normally wear a Citizen quartz diver for golf when I remember to take my GMT off. I'm not so much concerned about the golf swing, but reaching in and grabbing irons or banging the watch while in the golf cart, moving around, etc, that bothers me. Plus I just got my BB GMT back from RSC for date issue after three months, and don't want to send it back in until I need to.

#18 ·
There are several PGA pros that wear expensive automatic watches to play all the time, professional tennis players too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.