Tudor North Flag and... nothing?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tudor North Flag and... nothing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tudor North Flag and... nothing?

Hi all,

Will be picking up a Tudor North Flag in a few weeks.

Haven't seen one in person yet, so I'm only going by pictures and videos, but one thing that doesn't escape me is just how toolish this thing is. Somewhat spartan. This suits me just fine and is one of the reasons I'm picking it up: I'm in casual clothes 90% of the time.

But I can't help but think of that other 10%. This is when I'm in client meetings wearing smart casual stuff: turtleneck, blazer, chinos, that kind of thing. I'm a modest person and don't want to chuck a big behemoth of a watch in their face. Discrete and subtle is the game here.

So my question is: is the North Flag just a bit too "heavy" for these kinds of situation?

I'm thinking of throwing a 35mm Nomos (Orion, probably) into the mix to cover this off, but wonder if I'll be fine with the North Flag after all. Owners please chime in!

Re: Tudor North Flag and... nothing?

I had one about a year ago.
    The watch looks smaller than it is due to the outer ceramic black ring.
    Yes, the general impression is "toolish" but the bracelet adds an element of elegance-not too much just enough.
    My boss noticed it and commented how small looked on my wrist, then when I handed it to him for a closer check he mentioned how legible is the dial/hands combination.
    In general I wouldn't use " behemoth" term in relation to North Flag.
    It is tall (13.4mm), but nowhere near Omega's PO 8900 for example.
    I think you will be fine wearing it to meetings.
    Just try it for a few weeks.
    If you want then, you can anytime add a Nomos.
    Enjoy your watch!

A picture from the net:
    Name:  o02zOuR.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by Stanul; April 18th, 2020 at 01:43.
    UofRSpider and smalldog like this.

A fantastic watch but certainly is more at home in a cave or on a mountain than it is in a boardroom.

Not saying you can’t wear it with a suit. I have seen stranger pairings like G Shocks with business attire.

If it fits your style and you like the look, that’s all that matters.
    GreatScott likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Having seen most people move to smart watches in the office, some of them quite chunky, the NF will look positively smart with a suit by comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thx67 and hbryant130 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by makebread View Post
    Hi all,

Will be picking up a Tudor North Flag in a few weeks.

Haven't seen one in person yet, so I'm only going by pictures and videos, but one thing that doesn't escape me is just how toolish this thing is. Somewhat spartan. This suits me just fine and is one of the reasons I'm picking it up: I'm in casual clothes 90% of the time.

But I can't help but think of that other 10%. This is when I'm in client meetings wearing smart casual stuff: turtleneck, blazer, chinos, that kind of thing. I'm a modest person and don't want to chuck a big behemoth of a watch in their face. Discrete and subtle is the game here.

So my question is: is the North Flag just a bit too "heavy" for these kinds of situation?

I'm thinking of throwing a 35mm Nomos (Orion, probably) into the mix to cover this off, but wonder if I'll be fine with the North Flag after all. Owners please chime in!
    At 40mm across, 13mm deep and with an immeasurable lug to lug because of the design, but somewhere equivalent to about 46mm, it's similar in size to a Seiko cocktail time. Seriously, no-one in the world at a business meeting (if those ever come into fashion again?) is ever going to say anything about how brutish your watch appears.

Initially its looks like quite a chunky watch due to the angular case but I found it didnt wear big at all. The bracelet adds a bit of a dressy sparkle to what is a fairly austere looking watch so I would say its up to the job of a work watch. It looks better in the metal than any photos. The case polishing and graining is stunning. Its a ton of watch for the money. I had to say goodbye to mine in the end as I was worried I was going to ding the case and dings on the NF would really show up. There are rumours its being discontinued (theres a recent thread about it) so grab one while you can before the collectors decide its the next must have watch.

Quote Originally Posted by thx67 View Post
    There are rumours its being discontinued (theres a recent thread about it)
    Well, there was fake news about it. Is that the same as a "rumour" :)

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    Well, there was fake news about it. Is that the same as a "rumour" :)
    The worrying thing about the term "fake news" is that its often used to shut down other peoples opinions. No one knows whats going to happen where Rolex/tudor are concerned so were stuck with guesswork and rumours but it's definitely not a great seller so maybe they will retire it.
    Trel and TJ Boogie like this.

The worrying thing about the term "fake news" is that its often used to shut down other peoples opinions. No one knows whats going to happen where Rolex/tudor are concerned so were stuck with guesswork and rumours but it's definitely not a great seller so maybe they will retire it.
    True, but the rumour was started by someone who said it was "discontinued for the US market" (only the US? Nowhere else? Why would they do that?) and didn't explain how they came across that information. It is still showing as a current product on the Tudor US site - I was able to check.

One can't have an opinion about whether the North Flag is available or not, it either is or it isn't. "In my opinion the Tudor North Flag is discontinued in the United States" is not an opinion, it's a claim.

Quite so. It used to mean "deliberate disinformation disguised as legitimate journalism" but now it just means "I don't like".

However, with regards to the North Flag, I believe it is being discontinued. For what this is worth, the last time I was at an AD I checked it out. The sales associate pointed out that the one sitting in the case had been there nearly two years. It was on the strap, and when they tried to order a bracelet for it in attempt to get it to sell better, they were told bracelets were on back-order since production had ceased. This was several months ago, before production of everything had ceased.

It would have been nice to see the line stretch its legs, design-wise, but ultimately I guess Tudor realized that selling people lightly updated designs from the 1960s was far more lucrative.
    thx67 likes this.

Do you like to have a good time? Then you need a good watch.
    - Robert "Rocky" Balboa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information