WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor Pelagos for a Polar?

874 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Daniel234563456 
#1 ·
Folks,
I currently have and Explorer 114270 which I absolutely love+ a Tudor Pelagos blue that I have bought new for 3300$ that I love too!
Lately I have been thinking about moving it for an Explorer II polar for financial reasons, in terms of value retention...
I love the Polar, but the blue Pelagos is really unique and suit me well.
Now my question is, would you move a Blue Pelagos, for a 90s Explorer II? Can't decide if I'll regret moving the Pelagos or not and unsure how it is going to retain its value...

Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
If my primary concern was selling the watch at some point in the future then yes. If my primary concern was wearing a watch I enjoyed then no I would not sell it.

I also don't have any interest in explorer 2s so that sways my opinion lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is an important reason but not my primary concern, if that makes sense... I love the Pelagos, don't get me wrong, but I feel like for the same money, I can get a better value retention...

#6 ·
Personally i would never buy a watch for value retention. You have to like it as well. I know this from experience where ive been offered a great deal knowing ill do well on it further down the line. The only problem is what you do with it whilst waiting for that rise? You've got to either wear it or put it in the safe. You won't enjoy option 1 unless you really like it and option 2 you might as well put your money elsewhere. Buy and wear the watch you love. With regard to the watches you mention, I think you'll regret replacing the Pelagos with a Polar. White dial watches are great but ive found you can tire of them easily and as you have a blue Pelagos you clearly like a bit of colour. Finally, dont be under the impression you will be able to sell a Rolex easily and make a lot of money. Dealers are very wary of taking in a Rolex that doesnt have full set. Even the original seller can make a difference. If youre selling privately of course this doesnt apply but people are under the impression that they can take a Rolex sub into a dealer and walk out with a pile of money (profit). It rarely works like that. Also bear this in mind when a dealer is selling you a polar for £7000 without any paperwork. Theyre out there. PS, I love the Polar, its probably going to be my next watch but im keeping my Pelagos!

#8 ·
In my case, value retention is really important as I might need the money in the future for other things and would like to lose as less or not at all... But I agree with the idea of buying watches you like... Unfortunately, I am not fully in a position that I can feel completely fine with the idea...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.