Tudor Submariner 79090 Blue vs 79190 Blue
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Strela
  • 2 Post By imagwai

Thread: Tudor Submariner 79090 Blue vs 79190 Blue

Tudor Submariner 79090 Blue vs 79190 Blue

Ive been considering buying a Tudor Submariner 79090 for a while now but am having trouble finding information about the blue variants. Would anyone know the deference between the blue 79090 vs the blue 79190. I know that the crystal of the 79190 is sapphire as to the 79090s plexi glass. But other than that, is there a different finishing? Is the blue on one different from the other?
    Thanks!

Some insight

I have not noticed any difference in color. The older watches will of course have aged accordingly, so a 79090 made in the early nighties will often times show obvious age and use, such a darkening of tritium or fading of bezels compared to later production sapphire models.

If you are thinking of getting one, either the 79090 or the 79190, get a chance to handle both watches. They are quit different in person aside from the obvious differences with the crystals. The 79190 wears flatter and is a wee bit heavier than the 79090 (although, I most likely would not have noticed had I not had the chance to compare both watches side by side.) Also, the 79190 has click lock bezel while the 79090 has a friction lock bezel. Other than that, aside from the crystal being different, and therefore the watches being built from completely different cases, the watches are finished the same.

Here is my 79090 I bought new in the mid 90s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilots’ and Military Watch Forum Moderator

Re: Some insight

Quote Originally Posted by Strela View Post
    I have not noticed any difference in color. The older watches will of course have aged accordingly, so a 79090 made in the early nighties will often times show obvious age and use, such a darkening of tritium or fading of bezels compared to later production sapphire models.

If you are thinking of getting one, either the 79090 or the 79190, get a chance to handle both watches. They are quit different in person aside from the obvious differences with the crystals. The 79190 wears flatter and is a wee bit heavier than the 79090 (although, I most likely would not have noticed had I not had the chance to compare both watches side by side.) Also, the 79190 has click lock bezel while the 79090 has a friction lock bezel. Other than that, aside from the crystal being different, and therefore the watches being built from completely different cases, the watches are finished the same.

Here is my 79090 I bought new in the mid 90s.
    Overall given the choice between the two ive really decided to get the 79090 in black. Just something about that plexi glass that adds dimension and really does give the watch a more vintage feel. Im picking it up after quarantine thankfully! Thanks for the input!

Seiko SKX007
    Sinn 556
    Nomos Tangente Neomatik
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Rolex Explorer II 16570

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Tudor Submariner 79090 Blue vs 79190 Blue

79090 would be my choice also - if you're after this watch, I guess it's because it has vintage appeal, and the plexi definitely adds to that, as well as the fact it's an earlier model. Don't forget the 76100 also. Almost identical to the 79090, but some come with the lollipop (instead of Mercedes) hour hand.
    Enrique2001 and Londonboy like this.

Re: Tudor Submariner 79090 Blue vs 79190 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
    79090 would be my choice also - if you're after this watch, I guess it's because it has vintage appeal, and the plexi definitely adds to that, as well as the fact it's an earlier model. Don't forget the 76100 also. Almost identical to the 79090, but some come with the lollipop (instead of Mercedes) hour hand.
    I did consider one but the 76100 available needed a bracelet which would cost quite a bit to source and ship to my country and not to mention it needed a service because it was quite a well used piece. Maybe id buy it with a larger budget but i am extremely happy with this 79090 and either way id have been happy.

Thread Information