Tudor Submariner train wheel bridge replacement
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kawika

Thread: Tudor Submariner train wheel bridge replacement

Tudor Submariner train wheel bridge replacement

Gentlemen,

My Tudor Sub 75190 stopped working correctly - it is not winding automatically and while winding it by hand, I feel a distinct slipping of gears. So I sent it to an independent watchmaker for repair/service. The guy took it apart, and noted that a hole in a train wheel bridge for the winding wheel is worn, and that causes a ratchet wheel and intermediate winding wheel to grind each other. He said that a train wheel bridge needs to be replaced. He has a generic 2824-2 movement part in stock, but Tudor bridge had a "snailed" finish on the outside edge (small circles), while a generic bridge does not.

Question 1 is, where can I find a train wheel bridge with a matching finish?

Question 2 is, if I install a generic bridge, how would that affect the value of the watch?

Hope the experts here can help.

Bump

Re: Tudor Submariner train wheel bridge replacement

Why don’t you send it in to Tudor for repair? 75190 is a gorgeous watch; you don’t want to fix it with after market components...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Tudor Submariner train wheel bridge replacement

ETA parts are ETA parts.

Sure, Tudor has 'customized' certain movement bridges with decorative carvings, but going forward, the outcome is dependent on you.

I presume the watch is now in pieces at the repair shop, so, you've got some 'sunk' costs with the shop to put it back together, either with or without the new bridge.

Unless you have a sapphire caseback, you're never going to see the bridge unless you remove the caseback. The impact of value will either manifest if you fully disclose at a future point of sale or after the fact if the new owner has a reason to have the watch opened and discovers the switcheroo.

Your choice is to have the watch fixed where it is or absorb the cost of disassembly+reassembly+shipping to an RSC+cost of repair/servoce and parts at the RSC.

The 75190 is never going to have the value of a 79190 just because it's mid-sized. So, if the selling venues are to be believed, right now the value fluctuates between $2500 and $4200, while the larger 79190 goes for around $4700 and above. Put an ETA but not Tudor OEM bridge on the watch and the value drops somewhat.

You're faced with the age old question of a watch owner...is the timepiece a timepiece or an investment? Is it the right watch for the moment while your head swivels in search of the next shiny object, or is it a keeper for the foreseeable future? Can you in good conscience sell the watch knowing of a potential shortcoming without loosing sleep, or will the guilt send you to the confession booth in search of absolution?

You could always scour ebay or other watch part forums to see if you could pick up a standalone Tudor branded ETA movement and have the switch done and then sell the donor movement for parts. You could also seek out a different repair shop that has the ability to rebuild with laser welding and see if that works.

Pretty much, I'm glad this is your problem and not mine.
    avusblue likes this.

An update on the situation:

The watchmaker was able to repair the bridge and everything is back together. Sent me photos of every operation. Took photos of my watch hooked up to a machine before and after the service/repair - what a difference! And the cost of all the work was extremely reasonable.

I am now awaiting the arrival of the watch. Thanks to all who participated in the thread.

Thread Information