Upgrade YM pt dial to Calatrava 5296?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Upgrade YM pt dial to Calatrava 5296?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Upgrade YM pt dial to Calatrava 5296?

Hi all, I'm thinking of swapping my 2015 YM 116622 pt dial + 8,500 Euros (9,300 USD) for a Calatrava 5296G-010, year 2014, serviced by Patek in 2018, no box, no certificate of authenticity, only Patek extract from archive.
    Good deal?Name:  71msOGZcsjL._AC_UX342_.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  31.0 KBName:  zRolex-116622-Yacht-Master-131303.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  39.9 KB

Re: Upgrade YM pt dial to Calatrava 5296?

I think I have enough popcorn.
    fskywalker and Unce_Turbo_997 like this.

Ew. Bad deal.

No box, no papers NO DEAL and even then I wouldn't but that's up to you. If I don't love the YachtMaster, I'd sell it for cash and look deeper. A watch without box and papers for me personally is a no go and for a Patek...well most people would say that's toxic without the necessary papers.
    VicLeChic likes this.
    Current Collection
    Rolex
    : Explorer 214270 MK 2; Submariner Date 116613LB(luesy); Sea Dweller 126600;
    Seiko: SARB017 Alpinist; SKX013 Modded; Seiko 5 SNKL55K1;
    Casio: F-91W; G-Shock GA-110LPA-1AER;
    Swatch: "Just Paul" GE270

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Los Angeles - USA Originally from Perth - Australia

If i was going to buy a high end piece like the Calatrava id be looking for more papers.
    going to be much easier to sell a Rolex these days than a PP without box and papers. I'd sell your Rolex private party and then see where you are at.

FWIW Id also look at the small seconds Calatrava, I don't like the date on a dress watch but YMMV
    VicLeChic likes this.
    Rolex Explorer Mk II . Grand Seiko Spring Diver 029 . Omega MoonWatch . Grand Seiko Highbeat .

Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    Hi all, I'm thinking of swapping my 2015 YM 116622 pt dial + 8,500 Euros (9,300 USD) for a Calatrava 5296G-010, year 2014, serviced by Patek in 2018, no box, no certificate of authenticity, only Patek extract from archive.
    Good deal?Name:  71msOGZcsjL._AC_UX342_.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  31.0 KBName:  zRolex-116622-Yacht-Master-131303.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  39.9 KB
    This Patek, IMO, has no character nor proper identity, it's the average Joe of watches; you could replace the name on the dial by Jean Philippe, it wouldn't make a difference, but that's just me. On the other hand, if you have to have a Patek, sure, go for it, but if you are looking for an elegant dress watch, why not have a look at the ALS 1815? I am sure that you could have the same deal

Name:  1815.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  71.2 KB
    Last edited by Panerol Forte; 4 Weeks Ago at 20:58.

I can't really figure this one. I can't imagine that you plan for the PP to fill the same role as the YM. Is this because the YM is something you have that you're willing to give up? I agree with those who think the net cost is a lot for something with that provenance.
    VicLeChic likes this.
    Is it time for another coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by BonyWrists View Post
    I can't really figure this one. I can't imagine that you plan for the PP to fill the same role as the YM. Is this because the YM is something you have that you're willing to give up? I agree with those who think the net cost is a lot for something with that provenance.
    I love the YM and I wear it with great pleasure. But yes, I'm willing to sacrifice it to get my first and favorite non complicated Patek. I wear divers and dress watches. The YM is somewhere in between and somewhat redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
    This Patek, IMO, has no character nor proper identity, it's the average Joe of watches; you could replace the name on the dial by Jean Philippe, it wouldn't make a difference, but that's just me. On the other hand, if you have to have a Patek, sure, go for it, but if you are looking for an elegant dress watch, why not have a look at the ALS 1815? I am sure that you could have the same deal

Name:  1815.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  71.2 KB
    That is superb, but I prefer the more simple and classic 5296.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
    If i was going to buy a high end piece like the Calatrava id be looking for more papers.
    going to be much easier to sell a Rolex these days than a PP without box and papers. I'd sell your Rolex private party and then see where you are at.

FWIW Id also look at the small seconds Calatrava, I don't like the date on a dress watch but YMMV
    I'd get 500 more selling private in this case. I could try and push the seller for 500 more on my YM, I think they would accept.

The 5196 is amazing but it's smaller, manual wind and I want automatic and the date complication. I plan on wearing an auto 5296 on rotation several days in a row, don't want a manual cranker, the 5296 is really the Calatrava I want.

The lack of papers is indeed a big minus I have to admit. It's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm really starting this thread to get feedback from you guys, to get some perspective as I'm very much enamored with this piece but I don't want to do something stupid.
    Last edited by VicLeChic; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:21.

I would.

That isn’t my favourite Calatrava, but you’ve already confirmed that it is yours.

I’d much rather a Calatrava than a Yachtmaster.

I would question what else is in the collection?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information