WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Upgrading Black Bay to Oyster Perpetual?

4K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  dantan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been contemplating on upgrading my Black Bay ETA Red to a Rolex the last few months for a 30th birthday gift to myself. I sadly wear my Seiko SARB033 way more than the BB because I am loving the size and feel of a smaller watch.

So... I went into a Rolex AD today and they had a Black OP36 which felt perfect on my wrist (they even put it on hold for me :)).

They offered a really good trade-in for my Black Bay (I will profit from what I paid 6 years ago), and will be able to get this OP36 for about 1/3 of the sticker price.

I have smaller wrists (6.5") and I have been not wearing my BB very much since it feels so bulky for a desk job. I don't dive with it so won't be missing that functionality (I have a Seiko SKX007 and Aquaracer for any water sports). I am thinking this OP36 is right in that sweet spot for size and look. I wanted to take a look at the OP39 or the Explorer 214270, for size comparison, but they had none in stock and have a wait list for them. I tried on a DJ41, but it felt way too big.

What are your thoughts about trading in the BB? Any other watches I should consider? I have looked at the BB36 and BB41 but if they made a 39mm one I would have jumped on that. Aquaterra 38mm has crossed my mind, but I think it might be too thick. I have no AD for Omega, so I can't try one on anyways. Should I try to find a Explorer or OP39 to try on before pulling the trigger?

Anybody that has a OP36, your comments are welcome to what you like/dislike about the watch. I am hoping this watch will become my daily wearer (90% of the time).

Thanks.

OP36
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Black Bay ETA
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Looking at your wrist shots, the OP36 is the right move. I have a OP39 and a BB58 love the look of a smaller watch on my 7.25" wrist.

The BB36 is a nice watch but not as nice as the OP.

Here is the shots of a OP36 vs OP39
That 36 looks to fit you perfectly. I made a similar upgrade a while ago and it was a great decision. The 39 would likely wear large for you - here's mine on my 8" wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After seeing these pics, it makes me want to take a second look at a white dial. Maybe I can convince my wife I need BOTH eventually. Haha this OP36 in black and a white OP39 eventually?

#8 ·
The OP36 looks great on you, although if I were you I would also try to compare it with the OP39. For me personally the OP39 has more clean dial (sans the double battons) and it is better size (for me).

Also, you can always pick up a BB58 down the road to replace you BB41 ETA.

#9 ·
That 36 looks to fit you perfectly. I made a similar upgrade a while ago and it was a great decision. The 39 would likely wear large for you - here's mine on my 8" wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
One is for work, and one the beach / vacation. Both if you can swing it!

#22 ·
I think you schould also check out the OP39 since you mention that if a BB39 would exist you would jump on it. This new Rolex is going to be a keeper so be sure you make the right decision. You also have a skx so the OP36 might feel small after a while.. good luck with your decision.. in the end you can’t go wrong with either one of them.. :cheers:

#23 ·
I think youll miss that BB when it's gone. Youve got a stunner there. Bit of warm red and a glimmer of gold. The black OP is a fairly plain looking watch compared to your BB and you clearly like a bit of colour as you have the red version. Personally I wouldnt do it. If you can, hold out for the OP and keep the BB. The ETA BBs are becoming harder and more expensive to source nowadays. Possibly harder to get than the OP. If you have to move it on, I would go for the explorer or an Omega AT if you still want a bit of colour. Lots of colour options in that range and theyre lower profile than the BBs.

#27 ·
I could never bond with my BB41. It was the thickest watch I had ever worn, and being clumsy, I kept banging it into everything.
Can't be more true than that!!! 100% agree!!!

I'm all about watches that will stand the test of time and not look dated in 8-10 years. The OP, 36 or 39, are quite timeless in design, not flashy and something I could see myself appreciating for years to come.
Also completely agree. It is a classic design that will be in style for a long time to come.

Anyone have anything they don't like about the OP? Clasp? No AR?

#25 ·
I have both the OP39 in white and the Black Bay 41.

I think the 36 looks great on you. Although the Black Bay is certainly thicker than the OP39, it wears pretty similarly to the BB.

If you feel the Black Bay wears too big on you, I would stick with the 36 over the 39.

Pretty big purchase though. I at least try on the 39 if you can find one to see for yourself, though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Putting myself in your shoes with my own Blue BB ETA, and assuming I felt it was too big and didn’t wear it as often as I’d like, I would take the deal you’ve been presented with. I’m all about watches that will stand the test of time and not look dated in 8-10 years. The OP, 36 or 39, are quite timeless in design, not flashy and something I could see myself appreciating for years to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.