Vintage GMT Master Pepsi question
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Vintage GMT Master Pepsi question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage GMT Master Pepsi question

I'm definitely intrigued by a vintage GMT Pepsi, but this is all new to me. I'm doing a lot of research online, and I'm seeing that the only thing that's really feasible, in my price range, would be the GMT master of the late 1980s or early 1990s, the transitional model that seems to be able to be had in the $8,000 range.

My questions are about authenticity, what to look for in the vintage models in terms of original parts, replacement parts, weather box and papers are really necessary, and how to know if a watch has been significantly refinished.

I'm including some photos of one that looks like it's in gorgeous condition, but I have no idea if it's been completely refinished, has had a replacement bezel, replacement hands or dial, and I'm wondering what sucks you may have.

As far as value goes, do you feel that the current market for the GMT master of the late 1980s, the 16700, it's a good value to get into with what prices are doing on the Vintage Market?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Grand Seiko SBGA375
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Re: Vintage GMT Master Pepsi question

On the wrist

Grand Seiko SBGA375
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC

i wish i had the kind of info you're looking for, but i don't. i will say that they both look great on you and i hope it works out for you.
    41Mets likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Those are both great, but Pepsi all the way. No idea about how to tell fakes from real so I always buy new.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    41Mets likes this.

The 16700 has a service luminova dial for sure, and likely the hands are luminova service replacement as well, and I’m sure the insert is a service replacement also. The midcase and bracelet have definitely been polished, but not overly polished or a bad job. The original lines are a little soft, but definitely reasonable IMHO. Overall, it’s a nice watch that has service replacement parts.

IMHO, it appears to be a nice “wearing” watch and not a safe queen to be revered for its originality and lack of ever having a polish. I wish they would come off the price a little......and maybe the things that I have told you might help with that.....but the price isn’t too awful for a brick and mortar establishment.

HTH.
    OedipusFlex, 41Mets, toph and 3 others like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    The 16700 has a service luminova dial for sure, and likely the hands are luminova service replacement as well, and I’m sure the insert is a service replacement also. The midcase and bracelet have definitely been polished, but not overly polished or a bad job. The original lines are a little soft, but definitely reasonable IMHO. Overall, it’s a nice watch that has service replacement parts.

IMHO, it appears to be a nice “wearing” watch and not a safe queen to be revered for its originality and lack of ever having a polish. I wish they would come off the price a little......and maybe the things that I have told you might help with that.....but the price isn’t too awful for a brick and mortar establishment.

HTH.
    They did say they were sure it was a replacement dial from service. I like the look of it, but certainly don't want to pay a premium for something that looks new that has less value because of it. I appreciate the info. It's helpful.

Jason71 likes this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA375
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC

I’ll second Jason’s assessment... That’s a service dial, handset and insert. The case has an okay polish, not great, but not terrible, either. They went deep enough to make me think the watch was was most likely heavily worn by the previous owner(s), probably some good nicks, but never had any major dings.

The Expy II looks to be more original, but based on the fact that the case and bracelet have been polished, I’d say there’s a good chance that crispy clean bezel is a service replacement.

Either one is miles better than that pink thing you tried on, lol
    41Mets likes this.

Yes without doubt a luminova service dial that is replacing the original tritium, and very likely the hands too.
    Still that aside looks in good shape
    41Mets likes this.
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

Both look great on you. As much as I am a huge Pepsi fan, I’d probably go with the 16570. The 16570 is in nice condition, and will be easier to flip later on, should you do so. It also has the 3185 movement, with the true GMT jumping hour hand, which is a very nice feature — I believe it is absent on the 16700, likely part of the reason for that models lack of popularity compared to the 16710.
    41Mets likes this.
    GMT Master II 16710 Pepsi
    Explorer II 16570 Polar
    Submariner 114060
    Datejust 116234 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by harry_flashman View Post
    Both look great on you. As much as I am a huge Pepsi fan, I’d probably go with the 16570. The 16570 is in nice condition, and will be easier to flip later on, should you do so. It also has the 3185 movement, with the true GMT jumping hour hand, which is a very nice feature — I believe it is absent on the 16700, likely part of the reason for that models lack of popularity compared to the 16710.
    The 16700 has quick-set date, and it does not have the jump hour hand. Both features are very nice for different reasons IMHO
    zimv20ca and 41Mets like this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information