WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Vintage Rolex Oyster Perpetual - Looking for Info

966 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kawika 
#1 ·
Good morning,

As a long-time lurker but seldom poster, I'm seeking some advice on a watch that I have. It is a 1962 Rolex Oyster Perpetual (no date), Stainless Steel and Gold, with a satin dial and coin edge bezel. Clearly the strap is a leather aftermarket one, as I don't have the original. It also has no box or papers.

The watch has no sentimental value to me, so I am contemplating either selling it, or just holding on to it to see if it appreciates or if one of my kids eventually wants it. It does need a service and hairspring work, though. I had a couple of local places look at it and certify that it's real. Looking for feedback on vintage Rolexs more than anything, as that's not something I'm very familiar with.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Tan
Watch accessory Analog watch Strap Fashion accessory Watch
Fashion accessory Watch Strap Metal
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Text Calligraphy Document Paper

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, it's not going to fund a retirement, and it's really not that rare, and if you've spent much time on this and other forums that concentrate on Rolex, you'll know it's not a model that burns a lot of bandwidth.

But it's a real Rolex from almost 60 years ago, and that means it still has some value. It's in my opinion, in very good shape appearance wise for its age.

Use the ebay and watchrecon route, entering in the 'Rolex 1005' route and see what other owners are trying to sell it for in a similar condition (or at least working).

Armed with that knowledge, you can decide to pay a watch repair shop to get it up and running again and refinish the case, or not.

Keeping the watch in a drawer is also an alternative to see if your offspring would like wearing it at some future time. The watch isn't going to get any worse the wear if its not worn. Selling it for parts is a third option.

Given the gift of hindsight, it would have been a lot nicer if the original owner has bought a Submariner and thrown it in a drawer with the box and papers.

#5 ·
The aftermarket economic reality is that with exceptions for sport Rolex watches (Subs, GMT's, Exp's, Daytona's), there's almost NOBODY who will pay more and appreciate the attribute of 'original condition' for a common Perpetual, 6694, Date, Datejust or early AirKing.

Watches in the aforementioned models have depreciated to their bottoms, have a very thin aftermarket buyers pool, and have no collector value with very rare exceptions. Those who wander in and out of these forums and take as gospel advice that is accurately given for the narrow band of true collector pieces and apply it to any timepiece with a crown and Rolex logo and then dispense that advice with finger wagging authority are perhaps well intentioned but not correct in the realities of the marketplace.

If some owner of an older OP, Date, Datejust or AirKing wishes to refinish the case and bracelet to factory spec, let them for their own enjoyment do just that. There's no economic downside to doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.