Vintage Rolex Repair

Thread: Vintage Rolex Repair

Lightbulb Vintage Rolex Repair

Hi all,

I recently received my grandfather-in-law's Rolex, which he bought in the 1950s (no specific date). It is a Datejust, but otherwise, I am still trying to figure out exactly what model it is. I don't believe that it has been cleaned or serviced in decades. I dropped it off with Central Watch in NYC (where I live) and their estimate for service was $895 - including:
    • Complete disassembly of all parts of the movement
    • All pivots and wheels are polished by hand
    • Ultrasonic cleaning of movement
    • Replace worn movement parts
    • New mainspring
    • New crystal
    • New crown
    • New case tube
    • New gaskets
    • New case spring bars
    • Complete refinishing of the case and bracelet
    This is my first vintage watch of any kind, so I don't know much, but it was a surprisingly expensive estimate to me.

Does this seem reasonable? If not, are there better alternatives in NYC, such as taking the watch to Rolex's service in Manhattan?

Thank you so much in advance for all the help!

Re: Vintage Rolex Repair

Have you ask a Rolex Service Center for an estimate! How about a search on this forum to see what has already been recommended. -- for example: Ridley's in DAllas, TX I think has been suggested by many.

Omega SMP 2054.50, Omega SMP Chrono diver 2598.80, Rolex 1680 Red Submariner, Citizen Skyhawk AT, Bunch of Invicta divers -- 9937OB, 6882,6884,9094, Steinhart Ocean I Vintage Red, Steinhart GMT Ocean I Pepsi.

I'm not sure if Rolex will service such an old dj anymore.
    Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilots’ and Military Watch Forum Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Smile Re: Vintage Rolex Repair

You can find a reasonable solution for your problem and it is in your reach. Just follow this link . Its about ROLEX repairing www.dominiquewieland.com/
    Last edited by skboy99; March 16th, 2012 at 22:59.

To the op, RSC will probably not service your rolex. It is hard to determine what the cost should be, as the condition of the parts is unknown. But much of what you listed above is common even for a routine, $300 service... So don't let all the listed jargon overwhelm you (though, it is professional for a tech to list what's done). These parts are not made anymore, and finding them can be difficult and expensive. It depends on how many parts are worn and need replacement due to excessive wear.

Shop around for estimates, as central watch may be on the steep end. Also, can you post some picks of the watch? You may not need a new crystal, in which case your costs begin to lessen.
    Last edited by GinGinD; April 13th, 2012 at 16:15. Reason: removed line responding to a since deleted post

Call Bob Ridley and see what he says about it.

Watchmakers International

Service of my 10 year old Datejust was $600 and did not include all of this (didn't need all of this.) I don't think this is too bad. But shop around. Ask a Rolex dealer.

Hi all,
    Sincerely, it is a great price for your Vintage Rolex, considering all those aspects. This kind of service in a Rolex Agent is quite more than in other places.
    Even in a Rolex Agent, they may not have the same parts for your watch, considering that is a vintage one. Sometimes, they substitute with a similar parts.
    That's it.
    Best Regards
    James

Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark IV (1975)
    Omega Speedmaster Automatic (2006)
    Rolex GMT-Master II (2012)

Recently my 89' Sub here in London. Paid around £300. It would obviously depend on what needed doing and any extras you would want. Be sure to take it to an authorised dealer.

Rolex Vintage Submariner 89'
    Omega SpeedMaster Moon
    Bell & Ross 01-94
    Panerai Luminar Daylight Chrono
    Bvalgari Diagono Professional
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781
    Seiko SKX007 Super Oyster
    Rotary Super 25

Thread Information