WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Way back when.....

1K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  LINVS 
#1 ·
#8 ·
It mentions Oysterquartz, and a Submariner is less than $500, so I'm assuming this is no later than the late 70s. What a shame. A Rolex used to be something that the average man could legitimately save for and purchase. Now, even Tudor is getting out of reach.

Reactions: HiggsBoson
#9 ·
I first started my Rolex experience in 1981. The 16800 "transitional sub" was introduced in 1978. I think I recall buying my 16800 sub for ~$925 about 1982. The price listed on the green price list above was $489. So, I suspect the price list must be dated 1978 or 1979. I bought my first DD "President" in 1981 for roughly $5000. I recall also that two-toned (SS/YG) watches were extremely popular at that time and all stainless models less so. Now SS sports models are definitely the most popular, TT and PM models much less so. How times have changed!

#14 ·
Everything is relative to the entire picture, and that $500 Sub circa 1980 was just as much to reach for as it is today. People tend to ignore how much cheaper some basics, necessities and niceties are today. Just a few examples:

- Income tax rates today are lower
- Fuel/oil costs today are lower
- A 20", basic, low resolution, bulky, ugly TV cost more than a Rolex
- Travel and telecomm costs were very expensive. How often did people talk to or travel multiple times per year even on a whim to visit family/friends in 1980 vs constantly all day today?

Back then, it was easier for the average Joe to say screw it and buy a nice watch because today's conveniences, expectations and standard of living didn't exist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.