WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Way Too Early Rolex Predictions For Baselworld 2020

44K views 182 replies 65 participants last post by  PSU2001 
#1 ·
This is intended to be a thought experiment that presents both unrealistic and realistic possibilities for Rolex Baselworld 2020. What would you like to see from Rolex? What seems likely for Rolex to introduce at Baselworld 2020?

Only Rolex knows what’s coming and they probably have a few different courses of action to choose from for Baselworld. Let’s enjoy the Schrodinger’s cat that is Rolex’s Baselworld announcement!

Let us try to avoid the increase production or kill the grey market type debates and focus on the watches themselves. I look forward to everyone’s thoughts.

#2 ·
In my opinion!

Unrealistic but interesting

Baselworld 2020- Introduce a 42mm Sub using the current Explorer II case. Blue Submariner in stainless steel. Kill off the Explorer II.
Baselworld 2021- Introduce a 50th Anniversary Explorer II as a 40mm modern take on the 1655.

Unlikely but possible

Baselworld 2020- Introduce GMT Master II Coke bezel on Jubilee. Keep GMT Master II LN discontinued to differentiate from Submariner line.

Likely

Baselworld 2020- Update Submariner movement. Continue Explorer II 216570 with a redesign to celebrate 50th Anniversary in 2021. Update GMT Master II LN with new movement and Jubilee bracelet. At least 1 new precious metal watch introduced.

#116 · (Edited)
In my opinion!
Likely

Baselworld 2020- Update Submariner movement. Continue Explorer II 216570 with a redesign to celebrate 50th Anniversary in 2021. Update GMT Master II LN with new movement and Jubilee bracelet. At least 1 new precious metal watch introduced.
I'd like to see Black & Red Bezel GMT as well as Jubilee 2-tone on Black & Brown Bezel.....

#3 ·
- I see prices going up by at least 5% across the board.
- I see no new references, but small incremental changes to several references. (I see new references to Tudor only.)
- I see the Milgauss being retired - at least temporarily - so that Rolex can put that production towards other hard to acquire references.

Regards,
Alysandir

#6 ·
- I see prices going up by at least 5% across the board.
- I see no new references, but small incremental changes to several references. (I see new references to Tudor only.)
- I see the Milgauss being retired - at least temporarily - so that Rolex can put that production towards other hard to acquire references.

Regards,
Alysandir
I can definitely see the price increase. What references do you think will have incremental changes made?

#4 ·
With the later ceramic bezel colour changes and Rolex’s seemingly fondness for blinger releases I can definately see a Coke on Jubilee this time around.
Possible dropping of Deep Sea line, possible Sub with new mov’t but prob not. Reworked Explorer II in a GMT style case 40mm

#10 · (Edited)
What are you disappointed in? I'll admit that Rolex's current aesthetic is not for me--the super case is too large, and I think the inclination to go bigger with hands/indices isn't my taste--but I can't deny that Rolex has rolled out some amazing technology and interesting pieces recently, especially in the extremely slow-moving world of horology. Two-color Cerachrom on the GMT-Master is a genuine major innovation, movements are continually improving, and the brand is taking some risks on styling such as the re-design of the Explorer II, the Hulk, the Batman GMT, and the shuffling of bracelet styles for that same watch. I don't really know what else you expect, a tourbillon? A minute repeater?

I'll grant you that in terms of design, especially in the Professional SS line, Rolex really can do no wrong right now, but I think they've very carefully introduced incremental designs consistent with their heritage, while continually building upon their technology in ways that fit their brand. I'm hopeful for some changes that would have me consider buying something new!

[EDIT: Revised to concern watch design only]

#11 ·
Guys, the OP has asked about predictions on new or updated watches that might be released. I’m going to close the thread if it becomes a debate on availability, MSRP, retained value, etc. another post like this last one and it’s gone.

#12 · (Edited)
Guys, the OP has asked about predictions on new or updated watches that might be released. I'm going to close the thread if it becomes a debate on availability, MSRP, retained value, etc. another post like this last one and it's gone.
Apologies! Went ahead and revised it.

I'll predict very minor changes in the Professional line -- maybe the introduction of a new movement, but no major aesthetic changes. I think that in the next several years, we'll see an all-red (dial and bezel) Submariner, which is the next evolution from the Hulk and 116619, probably at its next major anniversary.

#17 ·
FWIW, I've never seen a price increase that coincided with Basel. A price increase is due (at least in the USA) but I doubt if it will happen at Basel. What the heck do I know though........the year they released the 116600, I said that Rolex would NEVER release another 40mm SD. The 16600 had been discontinued, and the DSSD was the only "SD" available in current production. Approximately a month later they released the short-run 40mm ceramic SD.

One thing with Rolex that I have learned is that they are quite unpredictable. The only thing that is typically certain is that their changes are glacially slow. I personally predict very little change with the SS sports line. Maybe there will be a new movement, but probably not (my opinion). There will likely be a couple more PM releases.

Unfortunately, most of the time I have been disappointed with Rolex and Basel. This is due to their lack of new SS offerings (usually only 1-2), straying from their roots, and general "more of the same attitude". Just once, I want them to do something a little risky. :-(

Can you imagine how wildly popular a Milsub reissue with almost the exact original specs would be?

#23 ·
<snip>
&#8230; I've never seen a price increase that coincided with Basel. A price increase is due (at least in the USA) but I doubt if it will happen at Basel....
::
Can you imagine how wildly popular a Milsub reissue with almost the exact original specs would be?
I think it is region specific. Those in the UK report price increases in October and it happens in April over here in Australia. It went up 5% in the last round of price increases.

Oh, don't mention the Milsub. I am already salivating at the thought of it... :-d

#21 ·
Too early but I'll play along. I will carry over my predictions from 2019 to re-hash it as 2020. I guess I will hit the jackpot and be correct at least once. :-d

1. Updated Submariner with the new movement.
2. Discontinued "Hulk" only to be re-released in 2022 as a PM only model like the "Smurf" leaving the black bezel Sub and Sub-date as the only steel models in the lineup.
3. Rolex continuing to update the Datejust and we will see this trickle down to the DJ34 (having completed the DJ41 in 2018 and DJ36 in 2019)
4. New YM40/YM37 dial colour
5. Air King discontinued
6. Updated OP dials

#131 ·
Too early but I'll play along. I will carry over my predictions from 2019 to re-hash it as 2020. I guess I will hit the jackpot and be correct at least once. :-d
2. Discontinued "Hulk" only to be re-released in 2022 as a PM only model like the "Smurf" leaving the black bezel Sub and Sub-date as the only steel models in the lineup.
Here's hoping!

#27 ·
Some excellent perspectives so far. I’m don’t know enough Rolex history, have they ever released a true reissue? I know a lot of brands are making that a major approach to the market by releasing multiple reissues of older popular models.

#29 ·
I reckon the Air King will either get either a lumed 3, 6, 9 makeover or even a white dial.

Reactions: oso2276
#31 ·
The introduction of the first three tone...it will be aptly named the 'rootbeer float' SS/WG/YG. Kidding, but more seriously, maybe a coke, maybe a sub update, probably some bs to the DJ that nobody cares about.
This may be the most accurate prediction yet.......

BTW......why does everyone think the AK will be discontinued? It's just been updated recently:think:

#33 ·
More wish than reality but a 40mm maxi explorer II with a ceramic bezel

I do expect to see the Classic black bezel GMT re-released on jubilee.

•• sent by two turn tables and a microphone ••

#34 ·
More wish than reality but a 40mm maxi explorer II with a ceramic bezel

I do expect to see the Classic black bezel GMT re-released on jubilee.

•• sent by two turn tables and a microphone ••
I don't know if the ceramic bezel will happen but I think they will update the Explorer II to 40mm just not this year. The Explorer II 50th Anniversary is 2021 so I believe that if they redesign it that would be the year. I think you're probably right about the LN GMT Master II.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.