WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What can you swap before...

763 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  nobbylon 
#1 ·
...your watch becomes a Frankenwatch?

The original owner of my Daytona put some significant scratches into the bezel, and I've been looking at what it would cost to replace it. It appears that the newest reference bezel is cheaper than my reference's, which makes sense. I even like the newer bezel design better. BUT...it is not the correct bezel to my reference. So Frankenwatch? Yay or nay?

This also got me thinking...I've seen GMT Master II owners swap aluminum bezels, and that seems to be okay. So could you change the dial with one that is correct for your reference without creating a Franken? Like if you wanted to go from white to black? What's the consensus?

Regards,
Alysandir

#5 ·
In the past, when Rolexes depreciated like normal watches, I would have said it's OK to do it, it wouldn't have impacted the resale value considerably, it might even been a plus. But now, with the "investment" status of those watches, things are different. Even if you don't consider selling it for the time being, you may want to do it in the future, and its increased value would still be there to offset the one that will replace it. IMO, better pay more now, it will be worth it later.

#6 ·
I feel, that if I were to even put on a aftermarket strap/bracelet, on any of my watches, that would make it feel like a Frankenwatch! (It wouldn't be 100% original)
As far as actual parts are concerned, any part that isn't designed/manufactured for that particular watch, would, in my opinion, make it a Frankenwatch.
The watch has to be 100% as the manufacturer intended, for it not to be a Frankenwatch.
Now, some may think the term 'Frankenwatch' is a derogatory term. :think:
Not necessarily, I suppose it depends how thoughtfully these changes have been made. I have seen watches that I actually think look more attractive, once they have been 'customised' to the owners specification/liking!

Reactions: Alysandir
#9 ·
Would having the replacement being something that is reversible (i.e. swapping our a bezel that is replaceable) AND holding on to the original part still have an impact on resale value?

So if one were to mod/update/etc.-and then in contemplation of selling-return the watch to its original condition with original parts...would this still blemish the watch's resale value in your opinion?

Reactions: Alysandir
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.