what do *you* do when you get a used rolex? - Page 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    Makes it really difficult though when the model youíre after is no longer produced.......5513, 1665, 1680, etc
    This is why I said, 'I'. I have no interest in older models.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

First thing I do is I clean it thoroughly :D. Then I check it on timegrapher, do pressure test and just wear it.

I really have a hard time understanding people who only buy new for Ďpeace of mindí. So if you prefer one of the older models, a five digit say, you wonít buy it simply because itís no longer manufactured?
    Rolex watches are designed and built to outlive all of us, especially if they are properly serviced. Why would you refuse to buy a 15 year old watch that you really love, in good working order, from a reputable dealer, when that watch will most likely outlive your grandchildren? Obviously if you prefer the newer models thatís a different story.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsky View Post
    I really have a hard time understanding people who only buy new for ‘peace of mind’. So if you prefer one of the older models, a five digit say, you won’t buy it simply because it’s no longer manufactured?
    Rolex watches are designed and built to outlive all of us, especially if they are properly serviced. Why would you refuse to buy a 15 year old watch in good working order, from a reputable dealer, when that watch will most likely outlive your grandchildren? Obviously if you prefer the newer models that’s a different story.
    Since not everyone likes to acquire the older models, they feel pretty confident in not saving 500-1000 for getting a 5 year old current gen model when they can (or wait to) buy a new one at the AD.
    That price difference (500-1000) is negligible, but peace of mind is not

I can’t imagine actually searching for older models....

5 years ago I was going to flip my 35 year old Submariner and 20 year old Explorer-II (both purchased new) for new watches with better bracelets and clasps.

My AD was offering 9k for the pair towards trading.....but told me not to let them go.
    Meanwhile my twin daughters wanted them so I sent them in to Rolex for FULL service and gave them away simply as keepsakes because they specifically wanted Dad’s watches.

Newsflash - The old watches are OK, but the old bracelets are junk compared with new ones.
    I can’t imagine paying anything for my old watches, let alone wearing one that some other dude did god knows what while wearing.

A wrist watch is so personal, I don’t view them the same way as almost any other old item....cars, stereos, firearms, etc.
    I get why people collect old “vintage” stuff....just not old watches.

PS: I also don’t trust how some folks take care of personal items....would never take that chance.
    mak1277 likes this.

once u wear it and it is comfortable and i feel good in it... i just enjoy
    Paulsky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
    I can’t imagine actually searching for older models....

5 years ago I was going to flip my 35 year old Submariner and 20 year old Explorer-II (both purchased new) for new watches with better bracelets and clasps.

My AD was offering 9k for the pair towards trading.....but told me not to let them go.
    Meanwhile my twin daughters wanted them so I sent them in to Rolex for FULL service and gave them away simply as keepsakes because they specifically wanted Dad’s watches.

Newsflash - The old watches are OK, but the old bracelets are junk compared with new ones.
    I can’t imagine paying anything for my old watches, let alone wearing one that some other dude did god knows what while wearing.

A wrist watch is so personal, I don’t view them the same way as almost any other old item....cars, stereos, firearms, etc.

PS: I also don’t trust how some folks take care of personal items....would never take that chance.
    I guess that’s why it is cool that people like different things. Personally, I love a vintage watch. Case and point.......

This is one of my 1665 Rolex Seadwellers when I first acquired it. An older gentleman purchased it new from a reputable jewelry store in Las Vegas in 1984. He said he had done well gambling, and wanted to purchase a nice watch with his winnings. He came home to rural Appalachia and evidently wore the watch like he stole it. Now....I don’t think he did anything glamorous like military diving, or commercial diving with it ever. I just think he wore it for ordinary everyday life. After a few years, the original bracelet broke. He discarded it and placed it on this ill-fitting aftermarket bracelet from Hong Kong. Between 12-15 years, the watch stopped and he placed it in the original box and forgot about it. This was to my good fortune.

Name:  5Ljf6Vk.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  337.2 KB

Name:  lZXuzKB.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  211.2 KB

I sent the watch to Edvi who now works at LA Watchworks. He helped me all along the way to update me on the progress while Beau Goorey worked like a magician to do a remarkable transformation. The watch required a new (period correct) bezel insert, a full service of the movement, laser welding on all 4 lugs, (each lug hole had become oval after years of using the wrong sized lug bars) a new super dome crystal, and a period correct bracelet. I also asked for him to leave the watch as unpolished as possible. The case sides have never been polished, although he did cut me some new chamfers.

Name:  8tH2ogC.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  qQbrxOf.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  81.9 KB

This is one of my most prized possessions. I probably even treasure it over my Platinum Daytona. The Daytona has a higher intrinsic value, but the Seadweller is IMHO irreplaceable. I can’t see the hang up with wearing another man’s watch. It has been thoroughly cleaned and was in virtually new condition once Beau was finished with it. Sure the bracelet isn’t as heavy as a new bracelet, but that’s part of the charm. Personally, I prefer the older bracelets when compared to the new. Different strokes my friend.

Name:  NZzPrLW.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  1.19 MB
    Last edited by Jason71; June 6th, 2019 at 22:04.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by m1911 View Post

Newsflash - some people actually like the old bracelets a lot. They’re light and ubercomfortable, and they have tons of micro-adjustments, unlike most of the modern bracelets. I won’t even get into the issue of how much more elegant many of the older cases are compared to the new ones.

Also, I don’t get why if someone previously wore a watch you would somehow feel disgusted about putting it on, as though it were a pair of someone’s dirty underwear. I mean using that logic you shouldn’t ever buy a previously owned house because who knows what went on there. Or how about marrying a woman who’s been married before and might even have kids?
    Totally disagree with you.
    Jason71 and BigSeikoFan like this.

I figured I'd ruffle a couple of feathers by my post, but it's not heavy or hateful....

I simply have decades of wearing new Rolex watches until they get old and don't find the romance....

I "DO" however, think it's interesting that any given WIS on any given day wants to locate a birth year, used watch to treasure....
    Yet most of the mileage didn't happen on his watch.....no pun intended...
    Last edited by m1911; June 6th, 2019 at 23:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    I guess thatís why it is cool that people like different things. Personally, I love a vintage watch. Case and point.......

I canít see the hang up with wearing another manís watch. It has been thoroughly cleaned and was in virtually new condition once Beau was finished with it. Sure the bracelet isnít as heavy as a new bracelet, but thatís part of the charm. Personally, I prefer the older bracelets when compared to the new. Different strokes my friend.
    ]
    I hope you don't mind me preferring your late model Day-Date, etc do you Jason?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information