what do *you* do when you get a used rolex? - Page 3
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsky View Post
    Newsflash - some people actually like the old bracelets a lot. They’re light and ubercomfortable, and they have tons of micro-adjustments, unlike most of the modern bracelets. I won’t even get into the issue of how much more elegant many of the older cases are compared to the new ones.

Also, I don’t get why if someone previously wore a watch you would somehow feel disgusted about putting it on, as though it were a pair of someone’s dirty underwear. I mean using that logic you shouldn’t ever buy a previously owned house because who knows what went on there. Or how about marrying a woman who’s been married before and might even have kids?
    Totally disagree with you.
    That's fine...
    This entire watch "WIS" phenomenon seems to have contradictory "Rules" sometimes....
    I read threads about folks combing through manutia in an incredible OCD fashion about a potential flaw, or dial design, minor characteristic, etc on any given watch...
    YET....guys will spend many times more than what a 40 year old Sub originally cost, dumpster diving and not knowing how something was cared for or serviced, etc.

As I mentioned earlier....I get guys loving old cars, stereo equipment, firearms, houses, and even old women.....just not Rolex watches....

Quote Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
    I figured I'd ruffle a couple of feathers by my post, but it's not heavy or hateful....

I simply have decades of wearing new Rolex watches until they get old and don't find the romance....

I "DO" however, think it's interesting that any given WIS on any given day wants to locate a birth year, used watch to treasure....
    Yet most of the mileage didn't happen on his watch.....no pun intended...
    I hope you don't mind me preferring your late model Day-Date, etc do you Jason?
    No sir.......like I said......if we all loved the same things, life would be pretty boring. I have to be honest though......I can’t imagine wearing a watch for years and years....all those memories....and then selling / trading for something new.
    copperjohn likes this.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

let alone wearing one that some other dude did god knows what while wearing.
    this is partly why i like getting the service done, i know it's going to be clean and i feel like i'm starting from a clean slate.

when i got my Exp II (used), it *looked* clean. but when i put the loupe to the bracelet, it was pretty disgusting, i'll admit. that, and his initials were on the caseback. post-service, it was like new (including the caseback) and all thoughts of any previous owner(s) vanished.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
    This is one of my 1665 Rolex Seadwellers when I first acquired it.
    i recall reading this, i think in your 30 days of rolex thread. just an amazing transformation. i can see why it's your favourite.

i'm hoping to get myself a 1016 someday, not sure i'll ever pull the trigger. there'd have to be a price correction. but if i did, i'd likely send it to LA Watchworks, based on the work they did on your SD.
    Last edited by zimv20ca; June 7th, 2019 at 01:59. Reason: "30 months". oops.
    Jason71 likes this.

I bought a 14060 3 years ago. The only think I did was show it to a local jeweler who said it was real (although he didn't open it). It's been a great watch that I'll never get sick of wearing. Regarding buying used...it's just a piece of metal- nothing more.
    Paulsky likes this.

With the group, wear it and plot my next Rolex. I had my GMT serviced and bought my Seadweller used from a reputable company with service history.

I wanted and bought a GMT Master 16760 from a seller here on the forum. It had just been serviced. I had my local watch man check it out. He said movement was in good shape, minor bit of drag on the dial which can only be seen in the right light.
    I wanted the older aluminum insert, not the newer ceramic. Never worn a new Rolex bracelet, I love the 78360 on mine.

First thing I do is put the watch on the scope to make sure there is nothing majorly wrong with it so that I can quickly send it back for a refund if there is.
    If it passes and is within spec then the next thing I do is clean the watch.
    Who knows where that watch has been and thinking about other peoples skin gunk and grime and dead skin cells makes my own skin crawl.
    Once the watch is sanitized, I size it and wear it.
    Usually within this time I have already sent the receipt into my insurance so that it is added to my policy.

Cool Re: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by zimv20ca View Post
    ah geez, i should post a pic. the OP i bought new, the Exp II and Sub are both used 5-digits.

just a quick question - how do you like the Explorer compared to the Sub?

I'm eyeing a 16570 Explorer 2 or a 16600 Sea Dweller as next purchase. The Sea Dweller is too close to the Sub I already have - I know that but I'm a sucker for dive watches

Quote Originally Posted by Bluco View Post
    At point of sale, you should still check the alignment of the hands at 12 and 6, the date function dead on midnight (or +/- whatever your own tolerance is).

I've come across a new Rolex with the minute hand 8 minutes ahead of the hour hand, and a date change at 10 past midnight.

I could live with the latter, but the former - no way.

Same as me. I remember asking your help about the hands alignment of my black bay 41. LOL
    Rolex 16710 GMT Master II Coke
    Rolex 114060 Sub Ceramic ND
    Tudor 72034 Prince Date
    Glycine Incursore 46mm
    Sinn 356
    Seiko SNH009K1 D'Cube
    Laco 42mm B Dial Mannheim
    Hamilton Mechanical 38mm
    Stowa Flieger A Dial COSC
    Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time
    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
    Seiko SRP231K1 Mini Tuna