what do *you* do when you get a used rolex? - Page 4
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: what do *you* do when you get a used rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibroverb View Post
    just a quick question - how do you like the Explorer compared to the Sub?
    i love the Exp II. it's my favourite watch. it's the one i would keep if forced to give up all but one.

i had the Sub about 5 days before dropping it off at RSC, so it's hard for me to compare. i recall being surprised how "flat" the bezel felt; the Exp II bezel has a nice slope away from the crystal.

oh, i felt oddly conspicuous wearing the Sub. i've never gotten that feeling w/ the Exp II or OP. part of it was me catching someone staring at it, with (what i felt was) obvious recognition. made me paranoid for just a moment, actually. that also surprised me. i reckon after putting it on a strap that won't be as common.

I have bought one Rolex off Ebay. A Rolex Oyster Perpetual Two Tone with a 1570 movement. I insisted on meeting the seller face to face, and taking him and his wife to dinner. You "buy the seller". If he had been anything less than a genuine Rolex guy I would have walked away. We took the back off the watch in the restaurant, and checked it out. You buy the dial and the movement. Both were ok.

I paid less than AUD2000 for the watch in 2016. I just checked on Ebay and base bones 1570 movements are selling for around AUD3500.

I bought a Rolex OysterDate 6694 privately in 2016. It was in need of a service, new crystal etc. I paid cash and took a gamble, although the watch did run. I didn't ever take the back off. I took it straight to a watchmaker that I trust, and was pleasantly surprised to find it only needed a strip, clean and lube.

I paid AUD1005. The service was around AUD500.

The only other private purchase was a 2008 Rolex Air King 114200, bought earlier this year. White dial with Roman numerals. The seller had financial difficulties and needed money quickly.

I took the back off and did a good inspection. Checked the LEC, did a close inspection of the rehaut engraving etc.

I paid AUD2,200 cash. Similar 114200's sell on Chrono24 for around AUD 6000.

In all three cases I had budgeted for a service. I knew the Precision needed attention (It sounded like a steam train). The other two have not.

All of my other vintage Rolex have come from Dealers, and came serviced and with warranty. My workday Rolex came from AD's.

Probably would make sure it was genuine BEFORE I bought it though.

Then see how it runs, and if the deviation is too great I will look at getting it serviced, never been one to service things that are working fine.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Officially register it? I never knew that was a thing. How would it work if the watch were to be sold? But to answer your question when I buy a used datejust I either buy from a well respected person/dealer or I have an experienced watchmaker look at in before I purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjian414 View Post
    Officially register it? I never knew that was a thing.
    $200 CAD to ensure it's good and in my name. that fee is waived if i leave it for the recommended service.

How would it work if the watch were to be sold?
    i assume that until the moment i walked in RSC and handed them the watch, it was registered to some previous owner. so i must conclude that the combination of 1) having the watch in hand, and 2) absence of a police report saying it was stolen, that RSC is fine to change it to my name.

i.e. they don't ask for a receipt of sale.

Wear until I grow bored of it and sell/trade. Won't buy a used one older than July 2016 to ensure warranty is intact, so I can dump off via grey dealer easy.
    5959HH likes this.

I always check it's genuine before I buy. If I'm buying from a trusted seller from TRF, then there's less chance of authenticity being an issue. I normally do my research to check that the serial number checks out (i.e., it is within the range for that particular version of the model).

After I've bought it, I normally take it to my local RSC to size the bracelet for me. The RSC watchmaker usually takes a look at the watch and comments on its condition, etc. If it was a fake, I'm sure he or she would be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Have never heard of registering the serial number and have never done so.

I take it to my AD and have them spot check for any problems. If it runs poorly then I take it in for regulation.

of course wear it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information