WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What to Do!!!!!

1K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  maylebox 
#1 ·
I've wanted a Submariner for as long as I can remember, I'm next on the list with my AD, they're thinking 3 or 4 weeks. My problem is they just got a pre owned Explorer II polar from 2018, price is slightly above msrp but well below grey market, they're offering a lifetime warranty via their Rolex certified watchmaker. My salesman is recommending buying the Exp Polar because it's a lot harder to get than a ND Sub. I really like the Explorer II and have never actually gotten to try on the Sub. I can't afford both and I'm afraid if I buy the Polar and the ND sub shows up I'll regret it. I've got a Tudor BB58 and Pelagos so I don't really need another diver and maybe if I do wait and get the sub it will not live up to the expectations in my mind and I'll regret passing on the Polar. Thoughts?

#4 ·
I've wanted a Submariner for as long as I can remember, I'm next on the list with my AD, they're thinking 3 or 4 weeks.
::
I can't afford both and I'm afraid if I buy the Polar and the ND sub shows up I'll regret it.
I've got a Tudor BB58 and Pelagos so I don't really need another diver....
maybe if I do wait and get the sub it will not live up to the expectations in my mind and I'll regret passing on the Polar. Thoughts?
I think your answers are all in your post.

The Submariner is the watch you always wanted and you need to get it because you will regret that you didn't pick it up.

You can always sell off the BB58 and Pelagos as that will go towards the Polar Explorer II.

Sorted. [emoji6]

#5 ·
Your salesman is bs'ing you to offload the Explorer, knowing full well that he can sell the Sub easily if you don't buy it as well

The Explorer is much easier to get than the ND Sub, go on recon you can find them all over used/grey/stickers on/off etc

Plus, he's willing to sell it to you above MSRP even though it's not BNIB, seriously...........

Wait for the Sub, get the watch that you want, don't fall for his 'games'

#10 ·
Wait, the dealer said the no-date Sub is easier to get than an Explorer II? I know the no-date Sub isn't one of the "hot" items but still ... And you've lusted over the no-date Sub for so long. Don't get distracted now.

I think you should get the Sub. The Explorer II will be around.

Reactions: draperfish
#18 ·
Some questions here: is it normal in the US for a Rolex AD, or any high end watch AD to sell used watches? also, do you find it normal that if he had that Polar brand new, he won't be allowed to sell it to you above MSRP, but he offers you a used Polar at above MSRP. And an inhouse lifetime warranty? who are they, Zippo? Isn't that the same AD that some time ago told you that a DJ41 was harder to get than an Air-King and convinced you to buy it instead of the Air-King you wanted in the first place? Even though you already told me in the past that they are very nice people, I am starting to doubt their integrity. Personally, I don't trust people based on nice; everybody is nice when they want your money.

Here what I think is their modus operandi: you go to them, ask for a specific Rolex that they don't have and probably won't have. If they tell you this, they won't be able to convince you to buy another one. What they do is cunning; they tell you that they will get it in a month or so, implying that you can have it if you want, then push on you a watch they have under the cover of friendly advice. Proof of what I am saying, ADs don't know in advance what they are getting, unless they are one of those big Rolex boutiques like the one in Ney York in the Rolex building, or in the major cities around the world. Regular ADs know what's coming when they are billed prior to shipment, that's it. Please don't take it that I am calling you gullible, but some people can be very cunning. It pisses me that every time you try to get a Rolex you really want, you end up with another one, thanks to them.

#21 ·
Guess what I purchased? Fantastic watch. I do actually like the Polar Explorer, however, I've also heard it wears big for a 42mm watch.

Attachments

#22 ·
Get the Subby, it’s what you want, and I don’t think it is easier to buy a no date Subby in my experience, certainly in the U.K.

Reactions: draperfish
#23 ·
Wait and try on the sub and compare it to the Polar. You may prefer the polar. I couldnt get on with the Sub lugs so didnt pull the trigger but I'm so glad I tried it on as I had my heart set on one at one point. I have a feeling 3-4 weeks wait might be a bit ambitious. Was it a typo ie 34 weeks? in which case that's a bit ambitious. Or 3 to 4 years? In which case.... I know my AD pretty well and he's honest with me about wait times etc and he gets a good allocation from the Rolex gods but I don't think he would give me a timescale like that. Best of luck with your new watch. Whatever it may be

#24 ·
What is slightly above MSRP? Less then the cost of new plus tax? What is the condition?

I don't own a sub but do have the polar exp II and just about every dealer I walk into wearing it tries to buy it off me, or trade it really. 3 ADs have told me that they expect to see about 2 of these a year.

In the end you have to get the one you like best and forget everything else. I passed on a new all black GMT for my exp. II, which I bought used, despite which one is harder to get because I like it more. but you really need to try one on first. I almost ordered a Navitimer because it just looks so awesome before ever trying one on. Decided that wasn't a good idea and made a trip to try one. Now I call it the watch I hate to love. I enjoy everything about that watch except how it wears. And I can't explain it, nothing is wrong with it other then it just doesn't feel right on my wrist and I have tried multiple on in different sizes. I really want to like it but Glad I didn't order it.

On a side note I think that both these are subject to something in 2020. Maybe something big for the exp II (or at least that is the buzz on the interwebs) and maybe movement and slight anesthetic changes for the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.