What if 2020 brings a slimmer sub?
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: What if 2020 brings a slimmer sub?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What if 2020 brings a slimmer sub?

I'm thinking of getting a sub-c, but here's my thinking. It's pure speculation, so no one needs to remind me of that. But what I'm afraid of is:

1. I buy a sub-c at a pretty penny.
    2. At Basel, Rolex releases a weight-watchers sub-c: slimmer lugs, toned case, wears smaller, otherwise the same.
    3. Everyone who finds the current sub-c too beefy wants one and so puts theirs in the sales corner.
    4. Prices come down.
    5. I lose money and wish I'd waited.

Again, of course it's speculation. I'm not asking if Rolex will do this, but what would happen if they did.

Are my fears justified?
    JCB43 likes this.
    Meistersinger No. 02 | ​Nomos Glashütte Tangente 38 Datum | Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 White | Sandoz Diver (Modified) | Seagull 1963 Reissue

Re: What if 2020 brings a slimmer sub?

Yes. Wait until Basel. I’d do it.

Waiting is sure to never buy.

Better to get on list now, you will not be served before basel so no worry you can change you minds.

However current subc is perfect no need to slim down anything ;)

Envoyé de mon Mi A2 Lite en utilisant Tapatalk
    ahonobaka likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No. You can't base your life on "what ifs," unless there is a high likelihood of the "what if" coming to pass.

Not only is there not a high likelihood of this coming to pass, but even were it to happen, the odds of you getting your mitts on one at the price you want to pay is somewhere near zero.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Yes, totally justified.

No one knows if it will happen, but an updated Sub with better proportions and an updated movement is not at all outside of the realm of possibility.

And if it doesn't happen, then you won't be in any different position than you're in now. Possibly even in a better position as I've been seeing the prices on pre-owned 6 digit Subs creeping down over the past few months.
    JCB43 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    Not only is there not a high likelihood of this coming to pass, but even were it to happen, the odds of you getting your mitts on one at the price you want to pay is somewhere near zero.
    He's not looking to buy the hypothetical new one. He's looking to buy the current 116610 that people may be looking to unload to get into a position to buy the new again, hypothetical, 126610.

Quote Originally Posted by GmtMasterIII View Post
    He's not looking to buy the hypothetical new one. He's looking to buy the current 116610 that people may be looking to unload to get into a position to buy the new again, hypothetical, 126610.
    Then my advice still stands. The likelihood of Rolex returning to a non-super case at 40mm is unlikely to happen. Rolex went to the super case as a compromise between those who do not want to wear larger than 40mm, and those who need a watch that wears bigger than its diameter.

I would also question whether we'd truly see a "dumping of Submariners" on to the market to the point where the price would drop by any appreciable amount, just because the lugs are thicker.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    5959HH, Simon, mleok and 2 others like this.
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

If you like the Sub-C and you want it and can afford it and you can actually get one... well then get it. It's a watch! Wear it and enjoy it and don't worry about what happens to the value next year. If a new Sub comes out and you really love it too, then buy it too and don't worry about the value in the near future. Wear and enjoy your watches for years and years. Down the road, years from now, the value will be there. Rolex steel sports are great for value retention - long term. Short term you are worrying about temporary trends... why worry about that? If the Sub-C value goes down next year that only matters if you are trying to sell, but you won't be thinking about selling if you are enjoying the watch on your wrist! If you are so concerned about value, then buy and lock it away in a safe to retain the maximum value, but what fun is there in that???
    ahonobaka and Mr Auto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    Then my advice still stands. The likelihood of Rolex returning to a non-super case at 40mm is unlikely to happen. Rolex went to the super case as a compromise between those who do not want to wear larger than 40mm, and those who need a watch that wears bigger than its diameter.

I would also question whether we'd truly see a "dumping of Submariners" on to the market to the point where the price would drop by any appreciable amount, just because the lugs are thicker.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    That makes sense as production and availably would still be where it's at now. Meaning that even if people wanted to dump their current Sub for a new one, the availability would be so limited they wouldn't have the opportunity to even do so.

That said, the question was more about waiting until Basel to see if there are any changes to the Sub. While we may think no changes are going to happen, there's always a possibility that it will. I still think there is no harm in waiting a little to see how it plays out.

Although, based on this current craziness if they do make changes I can see prices increasing and everyone just adding "DISCONTINUED" to their sales listings.

I dare to predict that if there is anything new with the sub, it will be a newer 3355 movement. That's it

Enviado desde mi moto g(8) plus mediante Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information