What type of safe do you have?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What type of safe do you have?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What type of safe do you have?

Hello everyone. Just the other day a neighbors house was broken into. Made me really think about buying a larger safe to secure my watches. I currently have a small fire safe from sentry. I do not store my watches in there because after purchasing the safe I was told fire safes create moisture within the safe that can damage my watch collection. My question is what type of safe should I purchase that would both secure my watches and prevent moisture? I've done a little research. All I can find are gun safes. A bit to large for my valuables. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: What type of safe do you have?

Hi, I bought a Guardall FP3 ( Austarlian made), it's about the size of a small bar fridge, it bolts to the floor and weighs approx. 65kg. Bolt work is 25mm stainless, door about 10mm thick and has a keypad locking system.

There's no chance an opportunistic thief will open this, it would have to be somebody that knows what they are doing.

At a price of $650, I think it was a great buy and if you have a few watches well worth it.

I'm not keen on those fire safes, very easily broken into. I believe there is some stuff on you tube showing how easy, somebody opens one with a screwdriver in less than a minute.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Brisman; January 23rd, 2012 at 07:44.

Look into American Secuirty or Ft Knox, they have smaller sized safes and are top of the line brands.
    Rusty427 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Remember, where your treasure is, there your heart is also.

USCAN makes great safes. Talk to a local locksmith who operates out of a real and well established lock & safe business for buying and delivery advice.

The stuff sold by Sentry and other similar models are pure junk. USCAN, American Security and Chubb make burglary safes, fire resistant burglary safes and water resistant/fire resistant burglary safes.

For home use, choose something that weighs at least 500 lbs. Don't rely only on floor or wall bolts - they're only as good as the pneumatic dolly the thieves bring with them. Instead, drop a heavy piece of hardened chain through the bottom hole of the safe and down through a hole in the floor below the safe (e.g., if the safe is located on the main floor of the home). Secure the chain below the subfloor with a 50 lb plate so that even if thieves try to dolly the safe out of the home, the plate will prevent them from tearing the safe out of position. The more time a thief thinks he has to spend in a target home, the less likely it is you'll be hit and the less likely it is you'll lose anything of value.

A monitored home alarm - and I don't mean AlarmForce; I'm referring to serious systems from Chubb, ADT and other big operations - with licensing and automated contact notifications to your local police, is another thing that will make your insurance company happier and help keep premiums in line.

I was hit in 1993. The thief got a couple of paintings, and couple of inexpensive cameras, but the safe (while seriously dinged, scratched and scraped) didn't budge or open for the idiot. The thief spent too long with the safe and messed up his timing. My neighbour was home that day suffering from a very bad cold and noticed the guy leaving my house. So my neighbour threw on a jacket, jumped in his car and followed the thief while calling the police using his old in-car cell phone (remember those things?) to give location updates. Cops made the pinch within 45 minutes. Lucky me. Took my neighbour and his wife out for a really nice dinner the following weekend!

Never talk to anyone except your insurance broker/agent about the presence of a safe in the house. Never talk to anyone about your alarm system. If you've got kids in the house, impress upon them the fact that what's in the house is nobody's business - ever. Never share the safe combo with the kids because they don't need it and because the temptation to open up for friends to show off can overwhelm some kids. It's not a matter of trust or honesty with kids - just temptation - so don't test your kids by giving them a safe combo they don't need to know. My kids were too young to be concerned about safe combos at the time I was hit (the kids were 6 and 3), so it wasn't a factor.

Most of the so-called gun safes are not safes at all; they're heavy steel closets with poor locks. The best gun safes are prohibitively expensive.

I spent $1,100 on a newer USCAN burglary/fire resistant safe two years ago. I don't think prices have changed very much. Look at the USCAN FB2520-C to see what I'm talking about. Anti-drill, glass relocker, etc., etc., - it's got a lot of features and I think it hits the right price points vs. features. Expect to pay around $250 for delivery and put-in-place by a company that does the work for the safe & lock/locksmith dealer. Nobody gets to wear my watches except me!
    Last edited by Agitater; January 25th, 2012 at 01:12.
    shnjb and marcmc like this.

Safety deposit box at my bank is what I rely on for all other watches not worn in rotation.

mike.
    Frogman4me likes this.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

I have a large heavy gun safe. It would take a lot of work to get it out. By the time they get it in the getaway car, either the cops will be there or a nosey neighbor will have the license plate number. As far as moisture goes, don't worry. You open it up, so nothing damaging will occur. If it still concerns you, put a dehumidifier inside.

My collection may be complete, but it is never completed

Collection: Rolex Submariner 116610; Seikos Orange Monster, Black Monster, 007 (X2) 009, SRPB53, SPB079, and SRP775; Hamilton Khaki 42mm; Halios Laguna; 2012 WUS CMW Forum Dual Crown Project Watch; Invite Pro Diver 8926OB; Casio Pathfinder PAG40; G-Shock GD350, GW7900B-1, DW9052-1BCG. GMW5610-1, DW5600, DW5600CMB-1, DW5900, GW-9400-1CR; Orient 2ER; Some other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Agitater View Post
    Talk to a local locksmith who operates out of a real and well established lock & safe business for buying and delivery advice.

The stuff sold by Sentry and other similar models are pure junk.
    A well-known and reputable locksmith is your best source. No reputable locksmith will carry junk such as Sentry. Moreover, humidity problems are a problem with cheap fire safes such as Sentry, not with quality, reputable safes such as you might obtain from a licensed locksmith. They also can handle the installation for you.

The safe should be mounted in a corner, preferably in a confined space where jacking tools will be difficult, if not impossible, to effectively use. Do not mount on an exterior wall unless that wall is stone or block. There are many other tips that your locksmith will provide when you talk to him/her.

And the advice about keeping mum on your safe? The best on this thread. Thieves depend on word-of-mouth to choose targets. "Loose lips" and all that.
    Datejust 116233Datejust 16233Ω SMPc 212.30.36.20.01.002DOXA SUB1000T Project Aware 23/92 T035.410.11.051.00

I have a few.....all commercial grade. Fiche TL/TR 30 10,000lbs, Diebold TR/TL 30 Cashgard, and a Diebold TL/TR 30 Double Combination Mini Vault (also about 10,000lbs), all bolted to the concrete floor. For theft protection, you must go commercial, very heavy, tool and torch resistant (at least Tl/TR 15), re-lockers, and the like - typical "gun safes" and consumer safes (sentry and the like) are not very good. Not very effective for fire, however. Combined with a good, monitored alarm, with armed and/or police response, and you are good to go, in my opinion. What one wants is to seriously slow down anyone who tries to get in, until "help" arrives. Certainly not a cheap approach, and often a Bank Safe Deposit Box can be a better option...really depends on what one is trying to secure.

The Diebold Cashgard's are nice smaller safes, good for inside the home...check them out:

Diebold Security - Financial (Cashgard Safes) (The Diebold Website

Diebold Cash Guard TL-15 Burglar Safe | eBay (A nice example of what kind of protection you can buy for $1000.00)

I have bought all my safes used. If you have money to spend and what excellent protection in a very attractive package, check out Brown Safe....

Safes

Good luck in your decision making process..........

Quote Originally Posted by Split Second View Post
    Safety deposit box at my bank is what I rely on for all other watches not worn in rotation.

mike.
    +1
    watcheswithpatina.com

Instagram tag: Watcheswithpatina

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information