when a seller misrepresents the condition of a watch
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: when a seller misrepresents the condition of a watch

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

when a seller misrepresents the condition of a watch

Hi all,

On friday the 31st of May I took delivery of a Rolex Seadweller. It was late when I got home so didn't really have a chance to give it a once over till Saturday morning. Saturday I notice some fingerprints/smudges on the crystal so I use a microfiber cloth to wipe things off. The fingerprints/smudges appear to be on the underside of the crystal. Just so I am not going crazy I take the watch to my watchmaker and he confirms that yes the fingerprints/smudges are on the underside and to clean the watch would require a disassembly.

Yesterday (less than 72 hours after taking delivery) I emailed the seller to inform him of the situation and that I had the issue verified by an independent watchmaker. Instead of coming clean this guy is making insinuations that he does not know what happened to the watch since I have had it, etc.

He is also claiming that if the fingerprints/smudges are only seen in bright sunlight I should not be bothered by it.

The other thing he is saying its an easy fix and I should just have it done myself. Also that there is some warranty from the shop he bought it from "The other thing is that the watch is still under warranty from the dealer in Florida, so they can probably take care if it.". Now I bought the watch and paid a price such that I could enjoy it right off the bat. It would been thing if this guy had said in the listing or correspondence that the watch was going to need to be open...never mentioned. And I am not entirely confident in a watchmaker who would simply open the watch, the the movement out, clean the crystal and simply put things back together...would you be?

I have attached a photo, the fingerprints/smudges are not really easy to capture with an iPhone but trust me when I say they are there on the underside of the crystal. On the 7-8-9-10-11 side closer to the center of the crystal.

I would like your opinions on how to best proceed with convincing this seller to refund my money. I have offered to pay for return shipping out of pocket. I've bought/sold many watches here and on other forums. Most of us are upright people who enjoy this hobby. This guy and his excuses are really frustrating. In my correspondence with him I have told him that I give him the benefit of the doubt but that I am holding a watch that was not as described. As a forum member who sold the watch he should uphold his end of the bargin...refund the money I paid and take the watch back

Re: when a seller misrepresents the condition of a watch

I would:

1. Ask seller for minor refund to get it serviced locally
    2. Return it

Who's the seller?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Long Island, NY (you may know it as STRONG Island)

Did you pay by PayPal? Open a dispute if he doesn't agree to take it back. If you're paying that much for a watch it needs to be represented accurately.

Or if you want to keep it, the seller should pay to get it to the dealer in Florida for the warranty work, however if it were me once a seller sounds sketchy to me I would prefer to send it back and find the watch elsewhere.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    mich.g.pan likes this.

"There's many a slip 'twixt a cup and a lip." -William H. Bohne, Young Guns

How well does it keep time? What is the rest of the condition like?

At the moment he is outright refusing to do a refund..."Further, I am not a dealer or a retail store. How can you expect me to simply refund money without the item in hand? I don't know what may have been done to it! IF we come to that point, there is no way I will send your money back without having it inspected by my watchmaker first."

In a subsequent email he says: "Please understand that I appreciate the reputation and positive history on the boards, because I have several thousand combined positive sales on TZ, WUS and Watchnet."

I paid PayPal friends and family as this guy has been around a while. Here is the listing on WUS "original_chronokid": https://forums.watchuseek.com/f31/wt...r-4950743.html

He also has it listed on other forums under "Chronokid" https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=670259

Ideally I would like to get a refund for what I paid and I will pay to fedEX it back to him...what I proposed to him. Last night I replied saying I am willing to entertain his proposal to remedy the situation short of a full refund but its really crappy to sell a watch with an issue and not state it.

Timekeeping is good but honestly its been sitting in the box since I had the watchmaker look it over yesterday.

Seller should use the opportunity to come clean. If he is really concerned about his reputation he should offer a full refund or offer to pay for the “repair “. Your choice- not his. As a seller I would always assume I am at fault first, and much rather make sure the buyer is happy.
    I don’t actually know if you can dispute “friends and family “ transfer, and you should probably look into your options on that in the meantime.
    Hope you get a good outcome.
    draperfish and Persecki like this.

Yeah I am at his mercy with the PayPal friends and family...thought I would save us both a bit of $.

I've been honest and upfront with him. Based on the amount of his posts and being around the forums a while I put faith in his reputation.

The really frustrating part is how he is insinuating I am the one being shady: "How can you expect me to simply refund money without the item in hand? I don't know what may have been done to it! IF we come to that point, there is no way I will send your money back without having it inspected by my watchmaker first." This to me feels like someone not willing to do the right thing and coming up with excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
    Seller should use the opportunity to come clean. If he is really concerned about his reputation he should offer a full refund or offer to pay for the “repair “. Your choice- not his. As a seller I would always assume I am at fault first, and much rather make sure the buyer is happy.
    I don’t actually know if you can dispute “friends and family “ transfer, and you should probably look into your options on that in the meantime.
    Hope you get a good outcome.

He's probably worried himself about being duped. But provided you send the watch back before he refunds the money, then I can't see his problem. The risk is then to you - do you trust his reputation enough that he will refund you and not claim that you caused the damage yourself? But bottom line is - the warranty shouldn't matter. He sold the watch to you, so should make good.
    draperfish likes this.

No, at this point I would not be comfortable sending the watch without the refund. I would have absolutely nothing and he could then do whatever he wanted. My thought is I sent him the funds before I was sent the watch...why wouldn't the reverse be acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
    He's probably worried himself about being duped. But provided you send the watch back before he refunds the money, then I can't see his problem. The risk is then to you - do you trust his reputation enough that he will refund you and not claim that you caused the damage yourself? But bottom line is - the warranty shouldn't matter. He sold the watch to you, so should make good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information